The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:11:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350873 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  equalizer or other mods for the dash...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: equalizer or other mods for the dash...  (Read 2979 times)
wolfswest

« on: May 27, 2008, 20:58:15 pm »

Hi,

I'm planning to change my dash but I don't have a clue to do with it.  I have some holes in it now that don't have a function...  Undecided

Because I realy like the 80-ies dashes I'm looking for more pictures and info on this.  I've looked at many 80-ies dashes (for example peaches and scream) and you can see that building in a serious radio and equalizer was popular.  I'm not realy an "ice" freak myself and I don't know much about "vintage 80-ies" equalizer or audio parts...  but I'm willing to learn.  So, all pictures or names of brands and types of popular radio's /equalizers / speakers are more then welcome.  Maybe this way I can fill up the useless holes in the dash and give it more a properiate 80-ies feeling to it.

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 20:59:55 pm »

dem go to this tread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,2447.0.html
 Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 22:32:13 pm »

Blaupunkt was huge back then, and Grundig was as well.

I also park at Nick's.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:30:13 am »

Blaupunkt was huge back then, and Grundig was as well.

Also Alpine & Pioneer

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:45:25 am »

if you plan on cutting the dash and make a completely new one i personally would go with a aluminium pannel and fith the gauges in that one. but i would put the radio and certainly the equalizer under the dash, just in case you want to fit a different one later.
if it is all metalwork you can keep the glovebox, because there isn't much storing place in the beetle. try to find a pic of Dave Kanase's car and Lee Gong's car. two dashes i personally like for the two different ideas.
wolfswest

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:37:46 am »

if you plan on cutting the dash and make a completely new one i personally would go with a aluminium pannel and fith the gauges in that one. but i would put the radio and certainly the equalizer under the dash, just in case you want to fit a different one later.
if it is all metalwork you can keep the glovebox, because there isn't much storing place in the beetle. try to find a pic of Dave Kanase's car and Lee Gong's car. two dashes i personally like for the two different ideas.

Nicolas and Fabs,  You both have seen my dash, I don’t know if you remember it.  The things that bother me the most is the stupid tach holder that I transformed into an ipod holder and the two chrome dots on the left and the right of the holder.  Those dots cover 2 holes in the dash were normally the buttons for the heater are located.  Bacause I removed all that I have not the two holes.

I can’t remove the holder because the paint on my dash underneath the holder is damaged.  I’m looking for a solution to cover up that spot on the dash.

Maybe you guys have better ideas…  put some switches in it (so I cover 2 of the 3 holes) but what with the space in the middle were the holder used to be, put a “empi do not lower” windows…plaque over it…   cut up the dash and install a equalizer?HuhHuhHuh  I’m not sure about it…  Undecided

My first thought was to put my autometer tachs there, that would be nice, but the place on the dash is too small for that…  Maybe I can search the smaller tach’s and put some extra tachs there.  (if the smallest ones from autometer fit that place???)  and what does autometer sell in the smallest models?  I’m not planning to install 3 amp or voltage tachs…   Grin  Grin

Every thought or hint is more then welcome…

nicolas

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 16:52:16 pm »

yeah i remeber it and my thought was it was a bit crowded... the ipod, tach and bracket. i personally like a tach in the dash and not so much bolted on. maybe you can fit them like you really want it to be and then have the dash repainted. it probally is the best and cheapest solution in the longrun, as all other solutions will be halfass tries... i know because i always try out halfass ideas first and eventually getting it done properly...  Undecided

VDO has some nice gauges as well and personally i think they look a little more period correct for an 80's streetcar look. look into the one darell boomgaers has. that looks good, but is still big.
wolfswest

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 19:01:36 pm »

yes, that's correct, the vdo's are more 80-ies then the autometer series but I already spent enough money on the car, I'm not planning to sell the autometers for a bargain and buy some new vdo's...

The dash is to crowdy and full of "useless stuff"... 

You are probably right about the halfass ideas nicolas...   Grin   but hey, I'm looking for a modest "cheap" solution...   

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: