The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 19:26:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Led Zep's # 1 fan: The John Rayburn Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Led Zep's # 1 fan: The John Rayburn Thread  (Read 27208 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: June 05, 2008, 17:44:02 pm »

Check out John's new wheels.....  while I always liked his car with the old Empi's, I think the JGE rims absolutely suit his car perfectly. Nice choice John!

I stole the pic from The Sarge Archives. Roll Eyes

Very cool old car, John.... how long has it been in your family? tell us some stories about you and  your car.....  back in the 90's I remember your car running 94 x 78.. w/ 130 cam, 48 DRLA's (trademark Rayburn red linkage Grin), etc? Was that the car's first big motor?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 17:55:18 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
63 ripper

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 18:15:15 pm »

looks cool. how did you get them to work with disc brakes ?

JG54

twelve-zeros, back in the day.
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 19:56:53 pm »

OK i heard a rumour about a rebuild or a freshing up. so spill the beans please  Kiss
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 21:12:18 pm »

yeah well I heard a rumor he is painting this on the side of the car
Stephan S

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 21:39:19 pm »

LOVE the new look, John!

Der Kleiner Panzers
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 00:04:42 am »

I'm glad the new look has been so well received! Thank You! My father bought my car new in October of 1963, and I came home from the maternity hospital in Lakewood Calif, as a newborn in that same car. My very first memories on the planet revolve around being in or around it. I used to ride behind the back seat when all five of us were going somewhere. The mystery to this day, is how a Germany bound car ended up at a California Dealership? The car was ordered, but never delivered to a VW factory employee. My Dad ended up as the first owner. VW records don't sort any of this out. Anyway, my big brother was supposed to get the car, but ended up buying his EMPI demonstrator from Timmons VW in Long Beach, and that meant I was next in line, as our sister had gotten a real nice 71 Beetle with an EMPI mahogony GT steering wheel. I started working on the car in '79. The first things that went on the car were a set of Koni adjustable rear shocks ( still on the car) ,a Hurst shifter, and a set of Michelin 135's, along with a lowering job from my friend Dave. It didn't take long for the original 40 horse to break the crank, so the first " built engine was a 1385cc ( 40 horse with big bore kit) an engle 100 and single weber. First trip down the street was my first speeding ticket! Most of the racing at Bug Ins was don via a 1700 with 110 and 44 IDF's, and fooled around with a 1900 type 4 that we converted upright. That thing could climb walls, but very short winded. The 78 stoke X 94 was a great engine that I drove daily for years. The car ran consistent low thirteens through a set of Denham non welded heads. When I wanted more power, and started looking into a crank, Dave Rhoads, said he needed my crank, rods , flywheel, etc for a project, so worked a deal for building the 84 X 94 in exchange for my parts. Jeff built me a new set of heads and everything has made a pretty reliable 206 horsepower for the last several years with just one freshening up , just recently. My car ran EMPI five spokes for about 9 or ten years when I made the change to the sprintstars, for what I call " safety reasons" . Some know the exploding wheel story. I always loved the D spoke wheels, but could never hook up with a set until Joe Gallagher made these beautiful copies. I needed to take the Porsche brakes off , and was able to get them to clear a set of AC discs. Luckily, before I bought the discs, Bill Schwimmer let me mock things up on his to see if the whole thing was feasable. It was. I had to produce a half inch spacer and do some clearancing to the caliper bracket and calliper, but it all worked nicely, and was pretty straight forward an operation once all the measuring was done. The car really stops well!

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 01:23:17 am »

Wait just a dog-gone minute... isn't that same car that pretty much lived in the Long Beach Auto Haus parking lot in the early '80s?

Grin

John, the new wheels look great. Good seeing it in person, the other night.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 01:36:30 am »

Spent alot of time gawking at EMPI catalogues didn't we Mark?

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 02:41:54 am »

Spent alot of time gawking at EMPI catalogues didn't we Mark?

Yeah, that... and other "things." (coughcarwashcough) Nice to see that I'm not the only American that spells catalogue that way.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 02:54:23 am »

Mark and his GIANT binoculars!!!!!!!!

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:16:45 am »

Mark and his GIANT binoculars!!!!!!!!

Naw, I never had to bring mine to the shop. Those were Mike's (the owner's son). Back on topic... how did you make number one Zep' fan? I guess that makes me number two. Hard to believe that someone listens to Zep' more than me. We've got serious issues. I keep tellin' my girlfriend that.

Grin
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:14:36 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 08:57:35 am »

I was listening to the second album on the way to work this morning... just awesome!!!

Your car looks awesome on the wheels John, I'm considering a set for mine if I ever get sick of cheapo BRM copies! What are they like weight wise? I know modern alloys can sometimes weigh more than the car they're trying to push along the road, but I used to own a set of their raders and they were pretty light wheels...

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 17:54:55 pm »

I hate to see the Sprint Stars go but it looks pretty bitchin' with its new shoes!  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 18:15:16 pm »

I hate to see the Sprint Stars go but it looks pretty bitchin' with its new shoes!  Wink

i hope that mine will looks the same with the d spokes too Smiley

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 18:43:29 pm »

I was listening to the second album on the way to work this morning... just awesome!!!

Your car looks awesome on the wheels John, I'm considering a set for mine if I ever get sick of cheapo BRM copies! What are they like weight wise? I know modern alloys can sometimes weigh more than the car they're trying to push along the road, but I used to own a set of their raders and they were pretty light wheels...
                                                          I make them out on the scale at home at about 14 lbs. per wheel. They feel lighter with tire than a Sprint without one. You have to listen to the third all the way through now, I love the raw , relaxed feel. Like sitting in on a session!

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 18:59:31 pm »

Zep III was my favorite album for a long time in HS. Actually it was a toss up between Physical Graffiti and III. PG had such a wide range and texture of songs (plus the cassette tape was so long on each side....awesome for road trips), but III had such a gentle, kind of pastoral feel on the 2nd side.... "Tangerine", "That's the Way".... etc, though my fave song on that album has to be Out on the Tiles.... pure Zep rock!

now I would have to say my favorite album is Zep I for all the good memories it brings back from when I was younger.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 20:08:20 pm »

Moby Dick rules Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 04:51:13 am »

A clients daughter was parading around the house today in a Zeppelin 1 T-shirt while I mural up her bedroom. She said she had just taken a college class on the history of Rock and became a huge fan... She hasn't even heard half the songs yet. I guess there is hope for today's youth!!!!

I also park at Nick's.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 12:40:12 pm »

What's the mural for her room...Houses of the Holy album cover?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
nicolas

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 13:54:33 pm »

A clients daughter was parading around the house today in a Zeppelin 1 T-shirt while I mural up her bedroom. She said she had just taken a college class on the history of Rock and became a huge fan... She hasn't even heard half the songs yet. I guess there is hope for today's youth!!!!

hey i have seen Lez Deppelin t-shirts a lot over the past year with skaters. seems like they are starting another trend as always... right fred? seems they have caught up with the good songs that have been put in some skaters parts in recent years. always weird to see that what skaters do to be their own ends up being mainstream...  Undecided now think about that.  Grin
Rennsurfer

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 14:30:20 pm »

hey i have seen Lez Deppelin t-shirts a lot over the past year with skaters. seems like they are starting another trend as always... right fred?

Yep. Over the last couple of years, more Zep' shirts on kids at the skateparks, for sure. Kids are realizing that a lot of the new stuff is junk. My two sons listen to Zep', late '70s punk, and the early '80s stuff (Police, Split Enz, etc.) and early '90s grunge (S.T.P. Soundgarden, etc) Our iPods almost mirror one another. They just don't like any of the new releases. The only thing I can't get 'em to listen to are Louie Prima, Frank Sinatra, and Ray Charles. Maybe when they're older, yes? HAHA!!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:16:25 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 15:37:38 pm »

What's the mural for her room...Houses of the Holy album cover?
                                         She's a big fan of Europe, so I'm putting Big Ben and cityscape on one wall with the Eifel Tower and City scape on the opposing wall, with the channel connecting the two.

I also park at Nick's.
ESH

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 15:50:15 pm »

... She's a big fan of Europe ...

That's nothing to be proud of!  Shocked

Tongue
Neil Davies

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 15:52:26 pm »

Damn, Mat beat me to it! Wink Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 15:54:42 pm »

Whoa, full-throttle AquaNet™ Brigade.

Let us properly adjust the retinas back to a normal state of being, shall we?

There... I believe that should restore the thread back to it's rightful dignity and honor.

Grin

~Sarge
Neil Davies

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 15:57:36 pm »

I've said on here before about Robert Plant - he drinks in one of the pubs in town, and my girlfriend just knows him as that bloke from The Varsity who's in a band... Shocked Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
ESH

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 16:06:59 pm »

Imagine coming round and finding out that at some time in the last how ever long it was you'd acquired a Boeing. Rock and Roll baby!

Grin

nicolas

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 16:14:59 pm »

so we are still talking about Europe, right?
at least one of them has a better hairstyle!  Grin or is this material for the weightsavingtread again?
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 16:59:33 pm »

You guys have really derailed this thread...

...let's get back on track talking about girls wearing nothing but Led Zeppelin t-shirts.   Shocked

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 17:37:33 pm »

I think the lure of Zeppelin, for the masses, comes and goes in waves. Every 10 years or so I'll see an outbreak of scraggly looking pre-teens and teens donning Zeppelin t-shirts. But, for some, like me, they will always have a spot or two in my changer. I first got into them around 1982 when my aunt lent me her Zep II record and I wore the grooves out of it. All through high school it was Zep all the way, only topped in the last year by Floyd, after borrowing a friend's "Piper at the gates of Dawn" cassette.

oh yeah, this is a VW forum. Sorry....  squeeze my lemon for getting off track.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: