The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:29:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Led Zep's # 1 fan: The John Rayburn Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Led Zep's # 1 fan: The John Rayburn Thread  (Read 27710 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 18:15:41 pm »

AAAHH!!

Sorry, but that second picture of Europe (some band I've literally never heard of till this thread) just scared me.

So... in in yet another effort to get this thread back on course:

(edit) Ya know... after going back and looking at that first pic of Europe, they're probably prettier in person. Not bad for several girls all wearing matchin' outfits.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 18:18:13 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
nicolas

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 19:59:18 pm »

sorry i feel i have to help you out here bro.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7_IKcMl_a9A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/7_IKcMl_a9A</a>

edit: that should be better
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 20:24:24 pm by nicolas » Logged
Rennsurfer

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 23:42:47 pm »

HAHA!! Sorry, but I only got 16 seconds into the video and stopped the gayness. Right before I threw-up in my mouth. Almost got me with that one. Touchè

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 02:00:26 am »

sorry i feel i have to help you out here bro.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7_IKcMl_a9A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/7_IKcMl_a9A</a>

edit: that should be better
                                       I had to go wash the gay out of my eyes!!!!
A clients daughter was parading around the house today in a Zeppelin 1 T-shirt while I mural up her bedroom. She said she had just taken a college class on the history of Rock and became a huge fan... She hasn't even heard half the songs yet. I guess there is hope for today's youth!!!!

I think the lure of Zeppelin, for the masses, comes and goes in waves. Every 10 years or so I'll see an outbreak of scraggly looking pre-teens and teens donning Zeppelin t-shirts. But, for some, like me, they will always have a spot or two in my changer. I first got into them around 1982 when my aunt lent me her Zep II record and I wore the grooves out of it. All through high school it was Zep all the way, only topped in the last year by Floyd, after borrowing a friend's "Piper at the gates of Dawn" cassette.

oh yeah, this is a VW forum. Sorry....  squeeze my lemon for getting off track.

I wouldn't squeeze your lemon for five dollars!
AAAHH!!

Sorry, but that second picture of Europe (some band I've literally never heard of till this thread) just scared me.

So... in in yet another effort to get this thread back on course:

(edit) Ya know... after going back and looking at that first pic of Europe, they're probably prettier in person. Not bad for several girls all wearing matchin' outfits.

Thank God for you Mark!!!!!

I also park at Nick's.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 02:22:51 am »

Thank God for you Mark.!!! Just wanted to say it again in case you forgot my last post. Zeppelin and Volkswagens have always gone well together. I have many fond memories of listening to them with my brother while we worked on his car or mine way back when. They are always on to this day when I work on my car !

I also park at Nick's.
nicolas

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 07:35:12 am »

ahhh wimps, bet you don't wear pink polo's as well.

here John, something to cheer you up a bit. i think it would look nice on the fanshroud with the trademark red linkage
Tim C

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 12:10:17 pm »

Led Zeppelin are truly outstanding! I think III is my favourite, but all albums make for great listening.

A few of my friends in "bands" have worked with Jimmy Page's daughter, Scarlet. She is a fantastic music photographer and has a great site featuring her work here: http://www.scarletpage.com/ - I have met her a few times and she is a very cool lady; bit like her dad  Cool

JG54 Greenhearts
Rennsurfer

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 14:31:51 pm »

Scarlet has a rather bright future in photography, indeed. She's talented like her Dad. Thanks for sharing.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 16:02:14 pm »

Thanks for her site!!!!! And the Zeppelin image always cheers me up! I may put the Zeppelin shadow in the section of mural over France! Does anyone else run their Zeppelin catalogue while wrenching on their Vw Huh

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 16:16:19 pm »

Does anyone else run their Zeppelin catalogue while wrenching on their Vw Huh

Yeah, sometimes. Tend to mix it up a bit with other genres, however. By the by, check your e-mail regarding Zep'. In the meantime, I shall leave you with this:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:19:58 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
LuftsickTero

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 16:51:34 pm »

Does anyone else run their Zeppelin catalogue while wrenching on their Vw Huh

Not that much into Zeppelin, but as I share the garage with 5-7 VW guys there should be a rule against any power tools while Iron Maiden is on (the radio)  Wink

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2008, 01:54:35 am »

Well, we need to get you straightened out.

I also park at Nick's.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2008, 08:27:00 am »

there should be a rule against any power tools while Iron Maiden is on (the radio)  Wink
I'm surprised you can tell the difference between power tools and Iron Maiden! Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
nicolas

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2008, 11:16:22 am »

there should be a rule against any power tools while Iron Maiden is on (the radio)  Wink
I'm surprised you can tell the difference between power tools and Iron Maiden! Cheesy

powertools look better.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 01:21:17 am »

Here's a couple things that go well together.

I also park at Nick's.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2008, 01:22:21 am »

And this..

I also park at Nick's.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2008, 06:25:55 am »

powertools look better.

And sound better!!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 06:27:41 am »

And this..

I hate to date myself but I think I still have one of those t-shirts from the '77 tour that I bought when they played at the Ingelwatts Forum.

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2008, 06:31:24 am »

My hero!

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2008, 00:33:16 am »

Hey John, when did you join DKP? Were you part of the re-birth going on in 1988? I really like looking at the old pictures from that era, as I was just 18-19 yr old, and didn't even have Webers or any other go fast stuff yet..... I remember the (then) rare glimpse of traditional Southern California style hot rod VW's....

Bill showed me some photos of his oval running @ Baylands (I think) in '87 (?) wish I would have "noticed" it there then. I was 16 or 17 at the time, first time seeing VW's drag race, really....

do you have any pictures from late 80's of your car and/or the others' you could post?

I'm just tryin to find the bridge.

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2008, 00:55:46 am »

I joined the club in 1990 about a week after the Hot VW's cover shoot. Our group was quite small. These photos were taken the day I got my window stickers.. I had to mark the occassion. This is also about a week after the EMPI 5's came off and the Sprints went on. I'll try and find any old photos of the car with the 5's on it from the eighties.

I also park at Nick's.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2008, 00:57:34 am »

Here's a couple more.

I also park at Nick's.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2008, 02:34:38 am »

iron maiden kicks ass almost as much as led zep, and led zep KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!

Rennsurfer

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2008, 05:30:36 am »

Please keep that other band out of this thread. This about Led Zep and Rayburn. HAHA!!

Seriously, though... I'm all about that distributor and Type 3 plug wire ends. Good stuff, John!

~Sarge
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2008, 08:11:18 am »

Interesting decal placement, John. And how long have you had tat licence plate? Very cool.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
nicolas

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2008, 08:23:16 am »

yeah the decal struck me as well. and how come all you guys have type3 leads and i don't, never had them on any type3 engine, but they would be great with the cover closed as they would not bent. btw nice looking engine, except for all those wires under the coil. what specs did it have? great pics!!!!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2008, 14:53:53 pm »

I gotta find another set of those Type 3 plug wire ends. Had 'em on my first Cal Look VW 28 years ago.

John, are those Econo Motors license plate frames the real deal or reproductions?

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2008, 19:24:51 pm »

Here are the correct photos from when I was accepted into the club, I had put ones up from a little further down the line. These ones are from summer 1990.

I also park at Nick's.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2008, 19:33:38 pm »

I forgot about the huge Empi stickers you had on it!  Wink

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2008, 19:34:53 pm »

Interesting decal placement, John. And how long have you had tat licence plate? Very cool.
                                               Keith , the club decals were put where they were to accomadate the EMPI globes seen in the new photos I posted. The license plates I got as a gift around 1980, from my mom, for getting good grades in high school! Thanks Mom!
I gotta find another set of those Type 3 plug wire ends. Had 'em on my first Cal Look VW 28 years ago.

John, are those Econo Motors license plate frames the real deal or reproductions?

Mark, I have a real set and a reproduction set that Bill Schwimmer had done. The real ones I got from club member Jim Bangs, who used to work for EMPI and drank more beer than was humanly possible.
yeah the decal struck me as well. and how come all you guys have type3 leads and i don't, never had them on any type3 engine, but they would be great with the cover closed as they would not bent. btw nice looking engine, except for all those wires under the coil. what specs did it have? great pics!!!!
                                 Nicolas, we need to find you and Mark some plug wire ends! The wiring was untidy in those days from red coil, points, ballast resister, tach, oil pressure, temp, etc. Back when it was daily driven, it was more important to make sure I could drive away than to be neat. The wiring is much cleaner these days. That was my old 78.4 X 90.5 with SCS ported 041's , W130, and 48 Dellortos. I woke things up considerably when Jeff Denham went through the heads and I put the 94's on.

I also park at Nick's.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: