The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 08:42:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My '70 Project... El Low Budget-O Cal-Lookee-Loo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My '70 Project... El Low Budget-O Cal-Lookee-Loo  (Read 4930 times)
bugnut68

« on: June 06, 2008, 20:09:31 pm »

This is my painfully ever-so-under-construction '70 Bug project... I've had it five years, as of this fall, and slowly but surely the car is coming together.  The car in these pics has the 914 2.0 liters (real ones) that I painfully had to get rid of as they interfered with my ball joints due to the drop spindles... didn't want to redo my whole front suspension to run them, so I've currently got a set of stock steelies on there... chromies will eventually find their way on to the car.

I've had my hands into most everything on the car so far... my stepdad and I did the floorpan halves, though Ethan and Phil with the Southern Oregon VW Club did the entire rear package tray install as I watched (and I am forevermore grateful--I will make it up to you guys!).  I built the mild 1776 engine that sits out back, and not too long after driving the car I was wanting more power already...lol.  But the fact is, at this moment, she goes down the road and everything (almost) works, and the next step is body and paint.  Looking to go back to Diamond Blue.  If it aint' fun, it aint' worth doing! Grin
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 02:15:35 am »

Pity you had to lose the Fuchs...car looked good!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 10:09:40 am »

Nice car! love the patina...

Glitter don't make you faster.
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 12:41:48 pm »

when i looked at it it reminds me of your cab, but without the large gap in the side.
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 13:18:18 pm »

when i looked at it it reminds me of your cab, but without the large gap in the side.

Yeah and without all the rust and the dents and the bondo...  Grin

Glitter don't make you faster.
bugnut68

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 00:34:06 am »

I was hoping to start working on body and paint this fall or so, but after buying a new camera that's pretty much out the window...lol.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 08:56:27 am »

Nice car...

Stock wheels can look cool actually, I once ran a set of 5.5's all round in a 'darker than silver but not grey metallic' (thats not what it said on the can! I just can't remember the name of the colour...). It looked nice.

bugnut68

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 21:00:02 pm »

The good news is that I got rid of that hokey antenna on the driver's front fender... that's been irritating me for the last five years I've had the car, lol.

Question: how much POR-15 does it take to do both sides of the pan inside the car?  I bought a pint from a shop in Eugene, but I suspect the guy who sold it to me didn't know what he was talking about, as it just looks like too little to manage that much surface area.

Hotrodvw

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 06:55:11 am »

Car's looking great Ryan.......keep at it!  If you need anything from my neck of the woods, holler and I'll ship it to ya.   Wink

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
bugnut68

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 17:49:51 pm »

I'm at a point where I really need to do something just to feel like I'm making progress, no matter how slow.  I'm hoping to yank that old nasty, butchered rear apron off.  Not visible in these pics, as at the time I had a fiberglass cleanup panel on there, but the orig. apron was cut for a Monza muffler.  Looks horrible.  I'm probably going to go the "detachable" route with a replacement unit.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: