The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:38:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  AssHull's '67 project
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Print
Author Topic: AssHull's '67 project  (Read 191339 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #480 on: December 14, 2010, 18:16:26 pm »

Looks like someone was listening to the radio! Cheesy Funny to see the remnants of my Darth Vader still on the back of the front seat Grin

Damn, that motor looks good. I wish it could have been in there for The Classic, but it was just fighting us too hard.

Thanks for the update buddy!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
AssHull

« Reply #481 on: December 14, 2010, 18:46:11 pm »

Nice touch on the smooth apron and seal delete...clean.  Did you use basic weather stripping on the deck lid?

Thanks. We actually used the seals that the mexican bugs used. It just crimps onto the lip around the inside of the decklid. Until we started on this car, I didn't realize they used a different seal but I do like how it cleaned it up. If you'll notice on the front of the car, we did the same thing to the hood as well.

The decklid seal is more for looks right now though. Zach actually made up/modified a decklid catch (I forget what year the catch came from) but it actually acts as a stand-off for the decklid. There is a little bit of a gap when the decklid is closed to allow the hot air to vent out so the seal isn't actually doing anything right now.

Looks like someone was listening to the radio! Cheesy Funny to see the remnants of my Darth Vader still on the back of the front seat Grin

Ya, I don't sit in the back seat to often  Cheesy

Damn, that motor looks good. I wish if could have been in there for The Classic, but it was just fighting us too hard.

I wish I could have been there for The Classic...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 18:53:25 pm by AssHull » Logged
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #482 on: December 15, 2010, 15:46:21 pm »

Great car !

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #483 on: December 17, 2010, 14:03:55 pm »

Nice!!

Money -

You coulda put that centre cap on straight dude  Wink

Just kidding - Seriously cool car  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
GreenTom

« Reply #484 on: December 28, 2010, 18:12:44 pm »

Grate looking car... clean and following a rule "less is more"
both thumbs up.

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
nightmair nick

« Reply #485 on: September 02, 2011, 10:15:05 am »

The rear "luggage deposit". In the late 60's, early 70's, an option was available for 911's that deleted the rear seat with a box. This started out like that, but ended up as you see it here. To look "correct" it should also have a hinged door on each side, but I screwed up so I ended up skipping them for now Wink After this pic was taken I added the Porsche footman loops to the front side of the box for luggage straps (which still need to be made Roll Eyes) And yes, that's an EMPI door pull on the top, there's another one on the underside Wink

Great work on the whole car.Just started myself on a 67 cal look project. Want to see more on the "making of" of this luggage deposit. Very kind if you could post some pics during the making...

greeting from france

nick

cal look fever...for ever
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #486 on: September 02, 2011, 15:22:13 pm »

Thanks! Smiley Sorry, I didn't take any pictures while we were putting this together. Some of the ideas came from an article in the April '77 Hot VW's, mainly size and shape but I did make a few changes to make it better and more Porsche-esque. I would like to remake the front section and add the doors eventually  Roll Eyes

rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #487 on: September 20, 2011, 07:13:07 am »

Zach,

I love the rear package tray area you made for this car.  Looks really nice.  I need to do something like this for my chop this fall.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
nightmair nick

« Reply #488 on: May 23, 2012, 14:58:07 pm »

Thanks! Smiley Sorry, I didn't take any pictures while we were putting this together. Some of the ideas came from an article in the April '77 Hot VW's, mainly size and shape but I did make a few changes to make it better and more Porsche-esque. I would like to remake the front section and add the doors eventually  Roll Eyes

Any scans of the article??

cal look fever...for ever
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #489 on: May 25, 2012, 04:16:14 am »

Any scans of the article??

No scanner here... Anyone else? It's the issue with big Roger's Bad Company on the cover...

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #490 on: May 26, 2012, 20:14:37 pm »

i can , but what the report to be scan ??

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #491 on: May 27, 2012, 16:33:50 pm »

i can , but what the report to be scan ??

I think it's called "Making a Bug Box"

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #492 on: May 20, 2016, 19:41:43 pm »

Asshull is a busy guy, to say the least. He is nearing completion of Test Pilot School for the USAF at Edwards AFB. Him and his wife have also had a child. Even though it's been a few years he hasn't had any time to work out the new car gremlins, so this past January he flew me down from Seattle to help him knock some work out over a long weekend. The alternator had seized so we took that opportunity to "upgrade" to a generator. We also fixed the rear axle seal, again, hopefully for good, and changed out the steering box (the last one was new and absolutely terrifying). I love the look of the engine now with a generator installed!

Straight Time

« Reply #493 on: May 20, 2016, 21:04:48 pm »

Such a great looking car. Just Re read the whole thread. 

Great work Zach

Did you ever get the gauges working?

No retreat, No surrender !
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #494 on: May 20, 2016, 22:12:19 pm »

Such a great looking car. Just Re read the whole thread. 

Great work Zach

Did you ever get the gauges working?

Define "working" Cheesy

It has a habit of breaking speedometer cables, so that needs to be rectified (uses a longer 73+ Super cable). Oil temp works as it is all Porsche. Fuel gauge works but it is not accurate, too many parts not designed to work with one another (deep 16g tank, standard late model sender, Porsche gauge). Tach works fine as it was converted to 4 cylinder use by Hollywood Speedometer. Clock, yeah right Cheesy

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully his schedule lightens up soon so he can put some more miles on it and one by one dial in all of the details. I really want to swap in a 74 crank and 5.325" rods Smiley

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #495 on: May 21, 2016, 02:49:59 am »

It was nice to read this thread once again (:

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #496 on: May 21, 2016, 05:29:12 am »

Thanks Nico. It had been so long since I worked on it, even seen it, that it seemed like a distant dream. It was great to get my hands on it once again Smiley

Straight Time

« Reply #497 on: May 21, 2016, 16:19:20 pm »

Zach,  thanks for reply.

Have seen some 914 gauges and contemplating fitting to my 67, so good info.

Regards

No retreat, No surrender !
Greigzy

« Reply #498 on: September 12, 2016, 11:36:13 am »

First post on here, as I am looking for a US-67. Just want to say that I really enjoyed reading your thread, and that the car looks great! Good job!
Felix/DFL

« Reply #499 on: September 15, 2016, 22:09:19 pm »

Thanks Nico. It had been so long since I worked on it, even seen it, that it seemed like a distant dream. It was great to get my hands on it once again Smiley

x2
couldn`t resist to read it all over again Grin
The generator makes the eninge bay so much smother!
Some 5x130 Remotec would really suit that car  Wink
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #500 on: September 16, 2016, 03:58:50 am »

Thanks again everyone Smiley There's a lot of me in that car, if you know what I mean. It started out with a simple plan, then evolved to be something much much more. Looking forward to the day when I can build my 55.

Jos

« Reply #501 on: January 23, 2019, 08:01:15 am »

Whatever happened to this car? Chris do you still own it? Any recent pics of it?
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #502 on: January 25, 2019, 19:41:33 pm »

He still has it and enjoys the car. He's not much of a forum or car show type of guy. We were just chatting the other day about doing a few front suspension upgrades. Maybe soon, maybe not so soon.

andrewlandon67

« Reply #503 on: January 25, 2019, 20:13:18 pm »

He still has it and enjoys the car. He's not much of a forum or car show type of guy. We were just chatting the other day about doing a few front suspension upgrades. Maybe soon, maybe not so soon.

Glad to hear it's still around and still being enjoyed! Hope you're doing alright as well, Zach! I still go through this thread every few months, just for ideas/inspiration on my own car, since this is one of the best '67s in quite a long time.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #504 on: January 26, 2019, 05:20:29 am »

I'm doing good, and thanks for the kind words on the car. Means a lot to me Smiley

andrewlandon67

« Reply #505 on: January 26, 2019, 23:23:54 pm »

Glad to hear you're doing well! Again, having read through this whole thread as many times as I have it's pretty cool to see someone build a car for/with a friend but still have so much of themselves in it too.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #506 on: January 29, 2019, 04:54:32 am »

Glad to hear you're doing well! Again, having read through this whole thread as many times as I have it's pretty cool to see someone build a car for/with a friend but still have so much of themselves in it too.

I wouldn't say that he let me have free reign over the build, but he was pretty easy to steer in the direction that I suggested Wink We had a really good time building that car, it was a great experience.

andrewlandon67

« Reply #507 on: April 24, 2020, 16:35:49 pm »

Zach, I know you don't post much on here these days, but I was wondering if you had any progress pics of the rear-seat delete? I'm considering doing something similar with my '67 and I like the look of this one more than most.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #508 on: August 06, 2020, 03:39:43 am »

Zach, I know you don't post much on here these days, but I was wondering if you had any progress pics of the rear-seat delete? I'm considering doing something similar with my '67 and I like the look of this one more than most.

Howdy!
Yes, for better or worse life has steered me away from cal lookers. I sure do miss all the great people I met, I often think about flying down for a classic weekend one of these days Smiley

Pictures are on a usb drive somewhere... I doubt if I have anything detailed on the seat delete though. I tried to mimic the appearance of the early 911 delete, made stuff up as I went along. Plywood for the structure... I used the 6x1.00mm holes in the corners as anchor points for the vertical section. Funny thing, that vertical section does have big rectangular holes in the face that we were going to put doors in but never got around to...

andrewlandon67

« Reply #509 on: August 06, 2020, 16:34:24 pm »

Howdy!
Yes, for better or worse life has steered me away from cal lookers. I sure do miss all the great people I met, I often think about flying down for a classic weekend one of these days Smiley

Pictures are on a usb drive somewhere... I doubt if I have anything detailed on the seat delete though. I tried to mimic the appearance of the early 911 delete, made stuff up as I went along. Plywood for the structure... I used the 6x1.00mm holes in the corners as anchor points for the vertical section. Funny thing, that vertical section does have big rectangular holes in the face that we were going to put doors in but never got around to...

Good to know on the Porsche thing, I've already found a couple of threads in their forums about the factory delete and some homemade replicas. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be able to get out for a Classic myself, northern Colorado is pretty far from Orange County unfortunately...

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: