The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 12:02:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350879 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Ever have one of those days...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Ever have one of those days...  (Read 8755 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: June 16, 2008, 17:07:05 pm »

...when you can't seem to do anything right with your car?

I was planning to do some welding on the '67 yesterday to fill in the turn signal hole and horn grill on the driver's side front and fill the trim holes in the glove box door. For some reason I could not stop blowing holes in the metal. First I completely ruined the glove box door. Going to see if one from a late model that doesn't have trim holes will work. Not a great loss but still didn't do much for my confidence. Then I started on the fender. I have already completed one and it came out great. Did everything the same way on this one and I had burn through all over the place. probably have to cut out the patch and start over. After that I quit for the day. What a lousy outcome when I had hopped to make some progress on the '67 finally.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 17:11:54 pm »

I never have those days.

I am working on upgrading from my little extractor to a merged/dual muffs.  One of the exhaust studs on the #3 was stripped and the nut wouldn't tighten.  So I tried to (carefully, I swear!) remove the stud, breaking it with little effort.  Tried to drill it out in the car.  Screwed it up.  Engine is now out, gotta pull the head one night this week so a machinist friend can smarten it all back up for me.

So, no.  I don't.   Roll Eyes

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 17:21:06 pm »

I've never tried, but I dont think a late model door will work since the knob is completely different...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 17:34:17 pm »

I think the stamping is the same. Just have to swap out the latch. As soon as I can lay my hands on one I will let you know.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 17:40:42 pm »

Hinges are different too. early are flat, 68 on are round bar. Sad

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 17:53:19 pm »

I avoid "those days" nowadays.... I just don't go near the car when patience/time/coherence is lacking. Used to be gung ho and "keep trying" at all costs before. Not worth the aggrivation that almost always stems from a bad car day.

Donny B.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 18:06:15 pm »

First I completely ruined the glove box door.

I may have one that will work.  I'll check my stash and get back to you if you are interested.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 18:45:24 pm »

First I completely ruined the glove box door.

I may have one that will work.  I'll check my stash and get back to you if you are interested.

Thanks Donny, I would appreciate it.

I avoid "those days" nowadays.... I just don't go near the car when patience/time/coherence is lacking. Used to be gung ho and "keep trying" at all costs before. Not worth the aggrivation that almost always stems from a bad car day.

I am learning that but it is slow. I get so little time to work on the car lately I hate to waste a day. But I guess its better than turning a bad day into a real clusterfook.

Hinges are different too. early are flat, 68 on are round bar. Sad

Yeah I have been looking at them on the Samba and they are a little different. At least I have my original one to practice on.

--louis

Louis Brooks

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 19:08:44 pm »

louis, how thick is your fillet rod. some time when I weld thin stuff, I use .023 mig wire when tiging and turn AMPs down on welder, about one amp per every .001 of a inch of material  I'm welding. Just my 3-1/2 cent's . another thing I do when welding holes up. I take whitney punch slug's and fill hole, sometimes time's I use tapered reamer and ream holes till I  can lightly tap slugs into place.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 19:11:58 pm »

louis, how thick is your fillet rod. some time when I weld thin stuff, I use .023 mig wire when tiging and turn AMPs down on welder, about one amp per every .001 of a inch of material  I'm welding. Just my 3-1/2 cent's . another thing I do when welding holes up. I take whitney punch slug's and fill hole, sometimes time's I use tapered reamer and ream holes till I  can lightly tap slugs into place.

Hi Danny,

I am using a Mig with .023 wire. The metal on the glove box door looks very thin though and I am wondering if I can get the mig that low. May need to get someone to tig it. I have been using the the punch slug's on the turn signal holes and it works well. Thanks for the input.

--louis

Louis Brooks

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 19:14:01 pm »

One other thing louis use the smallest tungston you can use and always keep it pointed and sharp, it seems to jump arc ez and smoother kind of soft start kind of thing

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 19:21:05 pm »

I thought your tig welding. Try backing weld with copper backing  and turn heat up and make puddle's, on off on off with trigger you need heat but let cool between puddles ! PRACTICE first till you pick up. let me  know how ya do, or questions

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 19:27:55 pm »

I thought your tig welding. Try backing weld with copper backing  and turn heat up and make puddle's, on off on off with trigger you need heat but let cool between puddles ! PRACTICE first till you pick up. let me  know how ya do, or questions

I want a tig, but it will have to wait. I will practice some more with some thinner metal and get back with you if I have some questions.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 19:49:44 pm »

I think the stamping is the same. Just have to swap out the latch. As soon as I can lay my hands on one I will let you know.

Thanks,

--louis
Hi Louis The 68 and later Glove box door has different hinges and is a smaller size due to having a padded dash also the latch on the dash is different

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 20:01:58 pm »

Thanks,

--louis
Hi Louis The 68 and later Glove box door has different hinges and is a smaller size due to having a padded dash also the latch on the dash is different

Thanks Shubee. Looks like I will have to find a replacement then. Or see if I can patch this one up. Wonder if I can make a new cover for the frame. Probably more trouble than it is worth.

--louis

Louis Brooks

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 20:20:26 pm »

drill holes larger and try again, when your learning your not earning. drill holes on back of hole and use round rod like a dolly and stretch weld after weldind

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 20:23:03 pm »

Okay, I will give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 19:22:59 pm »

Thanks,

--louis
Try this One  it matches your car LOL Grin Grin  http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=624484

Thanks Shubee. Looks like I will have to find a replacement then. Or see if I can patch this one up. Wonder if I can make a new cover for the frame. Probably more trouble than it is worth.

--louis

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 19:24:07 pm »

Try this One  it matches your car LOL  Grin Grin   http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=624484

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 19:35:54 pm »

Try this One  it matches your car LOL  Grin Grin   http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=624484

lol, wait till I tell the guy I am going to weld it up.  Shocked

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 21:09:49 pm »

Spent time filing in the horn grill on the Driver's side front fender.

Came out much better today. I am still getting some burn through if there is any gap between the two pieces of metal. Not sure if this means I have the heat too high, or I am not moving the gun fast enough. Anyway, I managed to get this straight enough that it will only need a little high build primer. A set of Lucas lights are on their way from Moss.

I need to put all these pics in a new build thread for my '67.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 01:54:20 am »

Well I think everyone has been reading about my troubles - Firstly I dropped that dam Stainless steel nut inside my engine case THEN after getting it all back together and back in the buggy I went to go for a "test drive" and guess what MY CLUTCH PEDAL SNAPPED Angry

Oh well at least it didn't happen somewhere in France or belguim  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Speed-Randy

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 04:32:26 am »

hey louis, i think i got a glove box door, you can pick it up when you come to town. only about 20 min. from pomona. randy

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 13:37:34 pm »

i put my stainless steel trim on a week ago and pushed 2 dents in the paint because the holes weren't large enough due to the paint and the trim wouldn't give because it's stainless steel  Cry
made me feel like throwing some tools through the garage... well, the fact that the first few scratches and dents hurt the most made me calm down!

at least it looks alright  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 14:03:53 pm »

Grin Grin
If i would post some of those days i will have to start my own topic Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 14:54:31 pm »

hey louis, i think i got a glove box door, you can pick it up when you come to town. only about 20 min. from pomona. randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks! I will PM you about meeting up.

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 14:55:52 pm »

i put my stainless steel trim on a week ago and pushed 2 dents in the paint because the holes weren't large enough due to the paint and the trim wouldn't give because it's stainless steel  Cry
made me feel like throwing some tools through the garage... well, the fact that the first few scratches and dents hurt the most made me calm down!

at least it looks alright  Wink

Did you try to push the dents out from the back? If you can get your hand behind the dent and it is shallow you should be able to push it back out.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 15:40:03 pm »

yeah, i can reach from inside the hood. but it just looks like the paint's gone funny...
perhaps i should have someone have a look at it at EBI? i'm a stranger to those tricks Undecided

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 15:41:23 pm »

Got a close up of the dent?

--louis

Louis Brooks

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 15:43:07 pm »

i'll take one when i'm near my car (this weekend hopefully)
it looks like a 1 inch circle around the trim hole, i've got two of those on the right side. they're pretty easy to see with the lights on in the garage...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: