The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:00:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Fabs....scan and share?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Fabs....scan and share?  (Read 15238 times)
ESH

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 17:03:13 pm »

... i saw the car this year at bug in but the paint wasn't the same  Angry some little cracks and paint is faded (front decklid/bonnet and the roof) too bad for a real piece of history ...

Huh

The car was painted in something like 1980!  Roll Eyes

Looks (*) fine to me!  Cool

*fucking
nicolas

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2008, 17:10:47 pm »

yeah it does! it is so nice as it is. now it is a real lowprofile.

it probally went dull after getting so much drooling over it...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 17:22:09 pm »

... i saw the car this year at bug in but the paint wasn't the same  Angry some little cracks and paint is faded (front decklid/bonnet and the roof) too bad for a real piece of history ...

Huh

*fucking
me too mat she looks(*) nice
but it was the first time i saw the car and in my mind  , I thought of seeing the car as in the magazines

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
ESH

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 18:30:53 pm »

but it was the first time i saw the car and in my mind  , I thought of seeing the car as in the magazines

For that you're gonna' need a time machine!  Smiley
Jim Ratto

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 18:41:37 pm »

here we go jim  Wink

MS' car is what it should be all about. No bull$h!t hung on the car that does nothing

Ultimate 1776? I think so.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 23:45:31 pm »

Huh

*fucking
                                  The paint was wrecked overnight due to the infamous "Meguires Clay" Not the only car to fall victim!

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2008, 23:50:49 pm »

and didn't your "friend" suggest Dave use it? Same friend that wanted to exclude him from pciture?

New paint, old paint, it doesn't matter.... that car is still badass, and one of my top 5 favorites
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2008, 23:58:26 pm »

Affirmative!!! As well as exclude many others.

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2008, 05:21:06 am »

Not to bring up a sore subject again, but I just used the Mother's clay bar kit on my '67. The paint looks way nicer and feels smoother/cleaner. That's a real bummer about Dave's green car. I haven't done my entire car, yet. But so far, I'm impressed with it. I also did my hood, roof, and trunk lid on my '82 BMW (silver paint with clear coat) and it turned out real nice. Super old paint... and some parts are still factory/original paint.

Had I seen this thread before I bought the kit, I probably wouldn't have used it on my Bug. Makes me wonder if the Meguiar's is that much different.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Donny B.

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2008, 15:37:10 pm »

Fred you and spoke at Nicks's just before the last Bug-In and we were talking about just that.  I used the Mothers kit on my Bahama Blue '66 about a year and a half ago and I have had no problems at all.  The clay is just to clean the paint and that is all it is suppose to do.  I love the way the dead paint on my car came out.  It was painted almost 14 years ago.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2008, 16:25:44 pm »

I've used the Meguiars bar and spray, worked really good for a while(polished it afterwards with Autoglym Suuper Resin polish) it went dull again after about 3 months. last time i polished the car i used g3 compound, then 3m finesse it and 3m hand glaze which came out super shiny Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2008, 16:43:22 pm »

Fred you and spoke at Nicks's just before the last Bug-In and we were talking about just that.  I used the Mothers kit on my Bahama Blue '66 about a year and a half ago and I have had no problems at all.  The clay is just to clean the paint and that is all it is suppose to do.  I love the way the dead paint on my car came out.  It was painted almost 14 years ago.

Yep, I remember discussing that with you, Donny. My childhood friend, Jim, has been trying to get me to use a clay bar on my cars since the late '80s. I finally gave in and gave it a shot. So far, I really like the way it cleans the contaminants from the paint and leaves it so smooth. But I strongly suggest that polish or glaze, then... a carnuba wax right afterwards. That way, the paint isn't left raw and unprotected. The guy that got me into D.K.K. (Dave McNew) turned me on to Liquid Ebony. Did pretty much the same thing... really clean the paint and remove any swirl marks from previous owners. I refuse to use machines on paint. Don't if that's still available at the automotive paint supply stores, but I still have a bottle left and it works well.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 16:44:02 pm »

No problems with clay bars here.  No need to use them with detail spray either..., plenty of soapy water works fine.  Put some wax on when your finished.  Dave's car was probably done with single stage paint (no clear coat) and time has caught up to it.  I'd leave it as is..., it's an icon Cool

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 16:46:35 pm »

Dave's car has clear coat, and that's what got eaten by the clay. The green underneath is still intact.

I also park at Nick's.
peach_

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 18:32:19 pm »

Huh

*fucking

looks mint!   Shocked

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Jim Ratto

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2008, 18:36:10 pm »

I had the clay bar make a cloudy spot in my clear coat on my '67...very small and not obvious, but still.... I think it takes a gentle hand to use it and make sure the surface is cool and really wet. When I owned my WRX I clayed it, and I leaned into it a bit too hard in one spot and same thing, though some fine compound cleared it back up. That bar does wonders for paint that isn't maintained all that often...but yeah you gotta get some wax on afterwards. I like pure caranuba paste.... Zymol blue liquid works well too....especially if you follow their instructions and follow waxing with a light misting of water and then buff it out...  Cool
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: