The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 13:31:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Eastwood's Lead Free Body Solder
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Eastwood's Lead Free Body Solder  (Read 2059 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: June 23, 2008, 19:36:18 pm »

Anyone use this before. I just ordered on of the basic kits and plan to check it out. Looking for any tips or comments on it. Never played with metal body solder, read lead, before. Should be interesting to work with.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 21:58:30 pm »

Bought the same kit some years ago, and it worked for me.
Harry

Done ? Not Yet.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 00:32:51 am »

I bought a Box of New Old Stock 50/50 LEAD on E Bay The Real Deal cant get it anymore  going to use it on my 58 Ragtop Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 00:52:23 am »

I thought about using real lead, but I figure I am crazy enough as it is without adding lead poisoning to the mix. Plus you are supposed to be able to powdercoat the Lead free solder. Plan to try it on my Type 181 fan shroud.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:20:20 am »

This is the kit I've been playing with. Got a cheap aluminium frying pan to melt the tallow in (simply because it was a flat metal dish with a handle!), my blow torch and a couple of extra body files and paddles. The paddle I'm looking forward to using is a stanless steel one a friend made - he's used a couple of them for a few years and prefers it to the wooden ones. If the files are too "grippy", rub them acros your bench vice to take the edge off the teeth. My favourites were given too me by another friend and are several years old. Got a flat one with a regular type handle and a curved one with the holes to fit it into one of the adjustable frames.

Biggest tip - watch the solder! when it starts to go shiny, its hot enough!
Tip number two, get some of that Cold Front stuff - it really works! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 14:38:14 pm »

Thanks for the input Neil. It looks like it will be interesting to work with lead. (Or fake lead in this case)

--louis

Louis Brooks

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:54:08 am »

clean the fricken tinning compound and then clean the tinning compound !!!!! metal prep then baken soda and water then start leading, from the bottom , up , heat rise's, use rosebud for heating and heat as large of a area as posible. and don't have your room mate's bug next to you when paddleing the lead, HIGH bill LOL. use bee's wax on paddle's or tranny fluid. wood paddle's work just fine, WEAR partical mask when shapeing with grinder, before filling with vixon file, leave it sharp. keep everything clean after each step. acid's in tinning compound can come back to fricken HAUNT you!!!!!!! O by the way leading SUCKS !!!!!!!!!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: