The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:38:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Pulley Q's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pulley Q's  (Read 4274 times)
airstuff

« on: June 30, 2008, 16:19:00 pm »

How many of you guys run Aluminium lightweight pulleys like Scat,Cb Performance,Saco or other street pulleys.

I see some of the quality engines here on the forum like Jason Fosters engine and others running light pulleys.

How long do these engines front bearings last in addition to the same engines fitted with Berg equalizer or Achiever?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 16:30:32 pm by cal-look » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 20:00:59 pm »

I run a steel pulley not because of weight, but only because I don't worry about the ID of the pulley wallowing out on the crank, which usually results in the OD of the pulley tearing up the nose of the case. I've run aluminum pulleys in the past and had one or two do that. I just run the normal weight Berg pulley. (well in the winter I'll run a Santana power).

How many cars sold today run aluminum pulleys on a steel crank? Something to think about...

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 22:41:35 pm »

My balancer told me years ago that the Berg heavy pulley was the greatest thing he'd seen. I've run them for years and years and can't recall ever needing a line bore since.

I also park at Nick's.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 23:06:58 pm »

My balancer told me years ago that the Berg heavy pulley was the greatest thing he'd seen. I've run them for years and years and can't recall ever needing a line bore since.
Yeah, but John you never drive over 3500rpm! Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 23:16:23 pm »

True.

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 23:21:17 pm »

True.

is your car a diesel?
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 23:23:11 pm »

No, it's an aeroplane.

I also park at Nick's.
Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 10:19:41 am »

I've had an aluminium pulley split down the keyway, no major damage done to the engine - just bolt on a new pulley and go. Noticed a squeak at idle, then a quick flash of mag fire from the case. This was just at fire-up in the pits. But then I've also had a Berg Equalizer come off and destroy both crank and case. Followed all the Berg instructions to the letter but sh1t happens. I think I'd use another aluminium pulley, but the solid one, not the one with the holes, as the split was between the keyway and one of the five holes in the pulley face.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
airstuff

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 17:24:07 pm »

and what's up with those Jay Cee street pulleys which have the steel hub?
Mike Lawless

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 18:41:11 pm »

The new batch of steel hubbed pulleys are pretty nice. Right now I'm running a Bugpack hub and my own custom pulley, (to clear the autocraft pump). CB's new line of pulleys have steel hubs and are really nice pieces. At the time I put this together, there wasn't a dry sump size pulley with a belt groove available. Now there is.

The Bugpack hub I have is a nice tight fit, requires a puller to get it off.

Years ago, I had a Berg 6" equalizer. It tried to weld itself to the crank. So did the flywheel at the time. (not wedgmated). The flywheel problem most likely was the cause of the pulley problem, but the engine was seeing over 8000 rpm at the time. The Berg pulley is a really nice thing for a street engine. For a drag set-up, perhaps the shock of the clutch engagement led to the "welding" problem too?

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 18:42:59 pm »

The new batch of steel hubbed pulleys are pretty nice. Right now I'm running a Bugpack hub and my own custom pulley, (to clear the autocraft pump). CB's new line of pulleys have steel hubs and are really nice pieces. At the time I put this together, there wasn't a dry sump size pulley with a belt groove available. Now there is.

Years ago, I had a Berg 6" equalizer. It tried to weld itself to the crank. So did the flywheel at the time. (not wedgmated). The flywheel problem most likely was the cause of the pulley problem, but the engine was seeing over 8000 rpm at the time. The Berg pulley is a really nice thing for a street engine. For a drag set-up, perhaps the shock of the clutch engagement led to the "welding" problem too?

I ran a dry sump pulley with a groove on Friday nights on my street car in the early-mid nineties.
Bruce

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 19:22:07 pm »

I ran a dry sump pulley with a groove on Friday nights on my street car in the early-mid nineties.
I ran a dry sump pulley up until last Sat!
Mike Lawless

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 20:01:18 pm »

To clarify, I meant to say a new style  dry sump sized pulley with a steel hub was unavailable, (except for the Autocraft unobtainium pulley). I ran a CB dry sump size pulley before the current one. I should have been more clear.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 20:04:57 pm by Mike Lawless » Logged

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 20:12:37 pm »

God I love street cars! That's what Cal Looks all about !

I also park at Nick's.
richie

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 21:46:27 pm »

Something else to know,the ally pulleys are offered in billet or cast,this may be the issue?

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: