The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 17:53:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  which street cars in late 70's could hold a candle to Gary Berg's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: which street cars in late 70's could hold a candle to Gary Berg's  (Read 4158 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: July 01, 2008, 00:01:15 am »

We've all read about Gary Berg's '67 wghen it had the race CR motor in it and going 12.30's.... was that the ONLY street car out there, back then, that could move like that? Were there any other cars around in late 70's-early 80's that ran 5 speeds?

Thanks,
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 01:35:27 am »

I can think of Three cars Right Off, Kris Klingerman's 68 before he made it into a Drag Car, Scott Bakken's /Shubee's Red 67 both of these cars were street cars and ran high 11's low 12s, BAE's Turbo Bob with his wifes 72 Super Beetle with an Automatic trans and the motor out of Little Leroy the BAE Turbo Oval all these cars Raced on the Street behind Pacific Stereo and Nabisco after the Ralleys  Roger Crawford Always Brought something out that was Fast never the Same Car.

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 18:08:23 pm »

Ahhhh.....a tastefull topic indeed!! I have been hunting the Berg record run and lo and behold managed to get past it a few years ago...no trailer and in full street trim, nothing changed. So if Klingermans car and Bakken/Schubee were faster I need to reset my goal to hunt that down too. I know it is a hard to do, but with patience and time I think it maybe can done. My goal is to redo what was done in the 70's with no trailer, driven to and back from track and in full street trim. That is proving that technology is advancing!! So please give me the numbers to go for from back in the day!! Thanks for the inputs guys!! A cool story from times spent at the Nabisco factory would be cool to!!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 18:20:15 pm »

My goal is to redo what was done in the 70's with no trailer, driven to and back from track and in full street trim. That is proving that technology is advancing!! A cool story from times spent at the Nabisco factory would be cool to!!

Oh, like Schwimmer's and Rayburn's cars. COOL. Drive 'em to the track. Kick arse. Drive 'em home. Piss people off. GOOD TIMES.

Nabisco races were fun to be a part of and to race after cruising Whittier Blvd. Great memories. Was sad to see the building recently get torn down.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 18:30:28 pm »

Well here's a story I heard recently from the other side  Wink

I was talking to our head of security seems he went to Villa Park High and he and his buddies were into Mopars. So they're out street racing one night and this guy from El Modena HS comes out in a blue VW and asks them if they wanna race. So they think this is gonna be easy pickings. They pick the guy with the fastest car which is a blown 440 Charger and the guy in the VW doesn't flinch. So they line 'em up and the VW proceeds to spank Charger. So they're talking after the race and ask the guy about the motor in the VW and he says "Oh it's just something my Dad put together."  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 19:24:47 pm »

What the Nabisco building used to look like.

And here it is when my friend, Brad, took this shot in October of '06. Which ended up on a D.I. album.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 19:34:21 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Bruce

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 19:32:11 pm »

. My goal is to redo what was done in the 70's with no trailer, driven to and back from track and in full street trim.
If you want to do that, you're gonna have to raise the compression. Wink
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 20:04:14 pm »

Compression???.....eleven point fifteen to one.....regular pump gas....no problem, just lot of fun!! Smiley

More stories and, please, figure/number facts to go for Smiley
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 21:05:14 pm »

Ahhhh.....a tastefull topic indeed!! I have been hunting the Berg record run and lo and behold managed to get past it a few years ago...no trailer and in full street trim, nothing changed. So if Klingermans car and Bakken/Schubee were faster I need to reset my goal to hunt that down too. I know it is a hard to do, but with patience and time I think it maybe can done. My goal is to redo what was done in the 70's with no trailer, driven to and back from track and in full street trim. That is proving that technology is advancing!! So please give me the numbers to go for from back in the day!! Thanks for the inputs guys!! A cool story from times spent at the Nabisco factory would be cool to!!

very cool way of approaching the building of your car and engine. i really dig that kind of thinking.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 03:07:44 am »

Track Times on these street cars at OCIR were Klingerman ran a Best of 11:82,Scott Bakken/Shubee 67 Best was 11:71,threw the mufflers both car ran slicks, Turbo Bobs Wifes Super Beetle with an Automatic trans and Turbo motor out of BAE Turbo Little Leroy ran 11:37  all three cars ran full interiors no fiberglass parts. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 03:12:05 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 08:33:53 am »

Track Times on these street cars at OCIR were Klingerman ran a Best of 11:82,Scott Bakken/Shubee 67 Best was 11:71,threw the mufflers both car ran slicks, Turbo Bobs Wifes Super Beetle with an Automatic trans and Turbo motor out of BAE Turbo Little Leroy ran 11:37  all three cars ran full interiors no fiberglass parts. 

What engine capacity were they at this point? And how far between teardowns?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 01:14:08 am »

What engine capacity were they at this point? And how far between teardowns?
I think Kris's motor was a 82X88 with Lonny Reed Heads car was a Daily Driver but he Freshened up the Motor at least twice a year, Scott Bakken/Shubee 67 78.4x90.5 with a killer set of heads Car was Driven A Few Times a Week and Weekends Never did anything to it other then adjust the valves and change the Oil. Turbo Bob 64X90.5 he use to put his Turbo motor in his Wifes car for the ralleys and street races  it ran mid 9's in the Oval  spinning the tires in 4th gear threw the lights the motor use to spit the push rod's out and they would go threw the valve covers

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: