The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 19:35:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  PRICES ......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: PRICES ......  (Read 9532 times)
ian c

« on: July 06, 2008, 21:38:37 pm »

ok .
we all know the hobby is not getting any cheaper , but .....

i've seen brm's for 10k ,
i've just had to pay 4.25k for a set of fuchs earlies ,
now there a single mag torquer for 2k .

how much more are they likely to rise to ??
its gettin fcukin ridiculous  Roll Eyes

its not just the high-end stuff thats allways been expensive compared to the rest , it seems the prices of these are dragging up the prices of everything else .

we all know the furore caused by the deal iron cross wheel , but i'd bet none of it would have happened if people were not prepared to pay the high prices for stuff they desire , and others wouldnt be prepared to pay through the teeth for "something different" !!

now i hate what ive just paid for my wheels , but thats down to my stupidity by nlot storing them when they weer cheap Cheesy
plus the fact i did my research and ....  believe it or not ..... the set of four worked out to be a bargain !!!
( ok , i checked prices of the only other earlies for sale and to make my set would have cost more . kinda justifying it to myself )
do i have buyers remorse ??
yes , well more buyers disgust . but i know they aint gonna come down in price .

seems the prices of project cars hasnt really gone crazy yet ..... maybe we should start stock-piling them HuhHuh

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 05:18:21 am »

I no what your talking about, about 6 year's ago I had the chance to buy two 4-1/2 and two early 6 inch alloy's for six hundred dollar's so I passed because I did not want to set on the wheel's. I latey just spent more than that on two 5-1/2s alloy's . man wheel's are gettin exspensive ..

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 13:58:24 pm »

i turned down a pair of NOS (in the box) BRM's for $2000, wish i had bought them instead of the new bathroom we now have.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 14:02:16 pm »

I think you people are crazy for paying that much for rims. I would rather buy repops with less maintenance and spend the money on the go fast stuff.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 15:08:09 pm »

I think you people are crazy for paying that much for rims. I would rather buy repops with less maintenance and spend the money on the go fast stuff.

--louis

Amen to THAT. When I was looking for my car, earlier this year, I thought the same thing. I wanted original Fuchs or BRMS, but when I found out the current market prices, I laughed and went with a used set of perfect condition Flat Four BRMs. I can't stand reproduction wheels, but the Flat Four BRM is the best one, in my opinion. I still can't believe what people are paying for wheels, these days.

Huh

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 15:29:12 pm »

Fuchs got way out of control, seemingly overnight!

I have a little over $1100 in my 5 Porsche Cosmics, and at the time I thought I was really getting raped. Recently there was a set of 4 on the ebay that sold for $2100, so I don't feel so bad anymore Smiley

Re-pop rims are something that I just can not do. Tongue

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 18:39:57 pm »

This weekend at the Euro Bug In, there was a set of 2 4.5*15 Fuchs for ... 1690€- 2600$!!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Don't you think that it is quite ridiculous  Roll Eyes
Turtle001

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 18:58:55 pm »

and also a set of South African Sprintstars for 1500 € (2250 $) thatz insane!

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 19:19:41 pm »

I'm going for steel rims on the projects, just to save costs. On the other hand, i saw MWS Gas- repros going for 380 EU  a SET on Sunday EBI. Damn.  Huh
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 17:53:19 pm by FDK/Hurry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
ian c

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 20:07:15 pm »

356 steelies would be the way to go for everyday driving , but i'm changing to 5x130 to fit the fuchs ...

leaves me to either :
A : risk it
B : buy some cheap re-pops
C : wonder what i'm gonna do

Cheesy

(o\ ! /o)
Speed-Randy

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 23:52:58 pm »

repop brms look and work just fine, i'll use my money for cranks,cams, pistons, carburators, transmissions, and most important, lapdances

Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 08:57:00 am »

356 steelies would be the way to go for everyday driving , but i'm changing to 5x130 to fit the fuchs ...

leaves me to either :

Cheesy

Youcould start buying up steel porsche space saver rims and fitting normal tyres to them! Wink Look very similar to 356C rims...

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
ian c

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 19:46:32 pm »

ive seen the alloy space savers with the paint removed being sold as " rare vintage racing" wheels  Roll Eyes

i sold the cup wheels off my 911 , then had a problem getting the " rare racing " wheels that i bought refurbished .
 i had to roll it on 4 space savers ....... interesting look !!!

my sister has my spare in her new beetle now . i joined the AA .

(o\ ! /o)
ian c

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 19:55:56 pm »

a couple of days ago i saw some 5x130 minilights for sale reasonably priced ........................

(o\ ! /o)
ian c

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 05:12:16 am »

and to prove its not just wheels ........

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=115588   IGNITION COIL $350
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=525643    STEERING WHEEL e2500
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=632376   HEADLIGHTS  e1650
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=605051   OLD CLOCK  e1650
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=633082   lighted d plaque $550
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=622879  WINSCREEN WIPERS $500

(o\ ! /o)
Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 06:27:10 am »

Good Lord! Are these people on glue? Those prices are hilarious. Especially that steering wheel. What the hell is this current fascination with "patina"Huh HAHAHAHA!!! Sorry, but in my world, I've always done everything that I can to get away from that sort of thing and make whatever I'm restoring look new again. Whether it's vintage Schwinns, cars, motorcycles, skateboards, electric fans, typewriters, or surfboards.

Guess that I'm old and out of touch, but it sure is funny. The last couple of VW swap meets that I've gone to, I can actually hear people drooling over how cool the "patina" is while they're holding rusted relic crap. My girlfriend and I start laughin' our arses off. Oh well... to each their own. I guess if everyone were into "patina", I wouldn't be able to detail the exotic cars and bikes that I do.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 06:40:38 am »

according to Merriam-Webster Patina is; 1 a: a usually green film formed naturally on copper and bronze by long exposure or artificially (as by acids) and often valued aesthetically for its color b: a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use2: an appearance or aura that is derived from association, habit, or established character3: a superficial covering or exterior

I don't think that rusty crap is covered  by that  Grin Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 14:45:21 pm »

I don't think that rusty crap is covered  by that  Grin Grin

Not-so-much. True.

~Sarge
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 14:54:44 pm »

as long as people pay the high prices, why sell them for less, i agree prices have gone nuts and that's why i'm buying repros and not original Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
ian c

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 18:59:56 pm »

as long as people pay the high prices, why sell them for less,

thats the problem .... i'm BUYING at the moment , not selling Cheesy

i guess if i hold on to the "new" fusch that are currently on for long enough , i can sell them for what i just paid for the "earlies" .

god forbid anyone driving an early car has a minor accident ...  this patina shit has really pushed the prices of old genuine panels up ....  Roll Eyes

(o\ ! /o)
ian c

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 19:26:01 pm »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=633699

better hurry before he changes his mind !!!   Shocked

(o\ ! /o)
Neil Davies

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 16:05:07 pm »

I can sympathise - I've got to order a load of parts for my '70 this week - seat covers, door cards, headliner, wiring loom, brake calipers, exhaust - i'm up to about £800 that I need to spend and just haven't got! Shocked

Anyone got a red TMI interior before I give VW Heritage a ring? Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Harry/FDK

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 17:50:55 pm »

leaves me to either :

Cheesy

Youcould start buying up steel porsche space saver rims and fitting normal tyres to them! Wink Look very similar to 356C rims...

That's what i did, blasted them, then black powder coat. Looks hard. (And if you want to, you can even put small Porsche hubcaps on them).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 17:52:32 pm by FDK/Hurry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 17:55:32 pm »

Sick, sick, sick.

Done ? Not Yet.
ian c

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 21:17:57 pm »

leaves me to either :

Cheesy

That's what i did, blasted them, then black powder coat. Looks hard. (And if you want to, you can even put small Porsche hubcaps on them).

show me !!!
i was looking for the steeies that niel mentioned . found a set of early 912 steels that could be cool !!

(o\ ! /o)
48IDA66

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 21:30:15 pm »

Long time ago (20 years)I try to sell some early fusch in 4,5" and 6" but got phone calls if I got the size right!!, the 4,5 was imposible to sell, time has chance.... Wink
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 02:56:25 am »

time's have changed I paid $ 75.00 dollar's for the 4.5 I used for a spare in the trunk of my ghia, fricken crazy! I fell sorry for the guys restoreing stock splits now. every thing on them is 500.00.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
LuftsickTero

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 17:19:35 pm »

Long time ago (20 years)I try to sell some early fusch in 4,5" and 6" but got phone calls if I got the size right!!, the 4,5 was imposible to sell, time has chance.... Wink

10 years ago friend of mine found one 4.5" for about 40€ from local swap meet, sold it to me without profit, but couldn't find a pair for it in couple of months, got bored and sold it forward.

Came across reasonable set of three 4.5"s couple of years ago, spent a year for finding the 4th one, which in the end costed hell of a lot more than 40e.

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 17:56:40 pm »

You should hear what Carlos is charging for a half hour massage these days.

I also park at Nick's.
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 18:30:08 pm »

You should hear what Carlos is charging for a half hour massage these days.

I'm offering discounts now!!!! 

Der Kleiner Panzers
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: