The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 00:26:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Happenings
| | |-+  things wrong with EBI2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: things wrong with EBI2  (Read 41159 times)
qubek

« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2008, 09:25:11 am »

It was my first time at EBI and having only seen the pictures from last year, I was expecting plenty... We drove 2000 miles in total.....

and...I wasn't dissapointed.  Grin

(...)

Thanks to all the EBI team for allowing us to have a little taste of the VW Story right here in Europe.

I can say exactly the same thing. Even the distance is almost correct.

AS for ViP passes - I did not even try to get to the pits or start line during the races - this is not a place for a crowd of spectators. And there was no problem to get there after the races, so I cannot complain.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2008, 18:56:10 pm »

Hello.
One of the problems the crew encounters at EBI in Chimay is, that its not really a track. Its public roads that gets barred and used for the show. That leaves very little room to work on in certain areas. I wish it was possible to hold the meeting on one of the real tracks, but the financing of the meeting would be ridiciulsy high these days I think, and the entrance fees would show it. If the entrance fees were say 50% higher, then people will start thinking about coming (financially)  So we will have to take what we can get. So lets get the best out of it.
WRT VIP passes. - Well, I practically live in the pit area when Iīm attending meetings like this. But thatīs me.  On the other hand. We cant have the entire crowd running up and down the pit area. That would simply be a mess, and that also wouldnt leave the peace needed for the racers to get their sh*t together, repairs etc. especially when the space is rather restricted. But I do see it as a problem that the "regular crowd" (In lack of a better phrase) can not even come close to the race cars. But I have no suggestions to how that could be solved. So I think Iīll just shut up about that Grin

WRT.  entrance gate. Well, heres a suggestion to how it maybe could be better:
1. Place people at the entrance that are bilingual, french/german and/or french/english. That would help a lot in clearing misunderstandings and speed up the process.
2. Let 2 or 3 more have a money bag and then have them walk down the line and do business, like on the old ferry terminals. That way they can let say 10-15 cars through at a time instead of 3-4. the entrance area is always stressed. I know all about that from my time with Bug Stop Skagen in the 90ies, where we took up to 470 cars through the gate in about 90 minutes.

One thing I "missed" was that it was very difficult to determine how many people were really there, because the camping and parking areas were so far apart. So the normal evenning "camping area tour" didīnt really give us a hint.

But all in all my personal opinion is that it was worth the 2000 km roundtrip for me. - Would I do it next year (?) - most likely. So Iīll round this up by saying thankyou to the crew at EBI for making this happen.

Torben Alstrup.

plasticblack

« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2008, 19:43:46 pm »

The 2000 mile trip was hard work ( I do all the driving..) but worth it without doubt.

I agree the gate/car entry was a little confusing to say the least. Huh

I walked up to the local shop (about 10.30am) on Saturday morning and the queue of traffic was pretty long by then and lots of hot VW engines and hotter people.

That side of things could obviously do with refining, but the solution will no doubt be found. I do wish that everybody could camp on site though.

It makes the show last all day and into the night as well. I love to stroll around the campsite and meet the people I missed during the day.

I camped about 3kms away in a sloping Cow Field (still covered in Cow Sh@@@t) and paid 60 Euros... Nothing to do with EBI I know, but a little annoying none the less.

I'll be in the swapmeet next year so that shouldn't be an issue again.

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2008, 20:01:55 pm »

I camped about 3kms away in a sloping Cow Field (still covered in Cow Sh@@@t)

HAAAAH  Grin Welcome to the contryside. Just remember not to step in those brown things in the grass.  Wink
T
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 00:03:05 am by Torben Alstrup » Logged
qubek

« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2008, 07:25:38 am »

I camped about 3kms away in a sloping Cow Field (still covered in Cow Sh@@@t)

HAAAAH  Grin Welcome to the contryside. Just remember not to step in those brown things in the grass.  Wink
T

Cow shit looked marvelous on tires Wink
As for the lines, you could simply use back entrance once you were registered.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
plasticblack

« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2008, 08:51:54 am »

Nice or not....

I'll be avoiding the stuff next year.... Wink
[/qCow shit looked marvelous on tires
uote] 
ESH

« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2008, 09:17:23 am »

... I do wish that everybody could camp on site though ... It makes the show last all day and into the night as well ...

I can see your point but another view on that is that mass camping on site isn't necessarily a great thing from the point of view of the show. Whilst it's more convenient the problem you have is that once people are in if there is no need to leave there's a tendancy for certain elements to get stupid having had too much of one thing or another and stay stupid the entire weekend. It's one of the things that can really screw a show up. By having the majority of people leave at the end of the day this becomes less of an issue, personally I'd prefer it if they kept it like that as it's a small price to pay for maintaining a good atmosphere.

Smiley
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2008, 10:26:11 am »

Come on guys lets give Kobus, Mike and fast Fred a break here! I think this is enough constructive critisim for now  Wink Smiley

This is without a doubt THE BEST SHOW OF THE YEAR. PERIOD  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
plasticblack

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2008, 10:29:19 am »

I agree that some elements ( people ) can beahve in an unsatisafactory manner after a day on the (very nice) Chimay Beer....

In these cases it's up to organizers to police the situation correctly as  they do in most shows in the UK.

If people know the result of their behaviour, will result in them being asked to leave, usually the situation doesn't arise. But I do see your point completely on this matter.

It would be up to organizers to decide if the show site could even cater (re:camping that is) for the number of visitors EBI got this year? Also if it could cope ith the numbers they can expect next year?

I hope that the show realizes they have to control the grrowth proccess of  the event or in a short time they could realize they've created a monster that is out of control.

The Mood/Vibe, Format, Location & Beer were just right and the show is already an established 'Classic' in every sence.

I hope that verybody that attends the next EBI is a cog in the wheel of it's evolution and as such remember to act/behave/contribute accordingly. The organizers deserve nothing less from everyone (my opinion)

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2008, 11:17:24 am »

I think the start of this tread was ment ironic and not as a the "Wailing Wall", or am I wrong Russell? Wink

As said earlier in this tread, to organize a event in this scale is extreamly hard work. Not to mention how difficult it is to size everything propotional to the number of visitors....you just have to miss at some point!

The only thing I don`t like is the drinking/driving. I think the police in Europe is to liberal on that matter. Here in Norway it is banned, if you even THINK about your car keys after smelling the beer bottle, you get thrown to jail..... Shocked

Except for this, I think EBI was a fantastic show and Kobus & Crew did a GREAT job!!  Grin

We will be back next year, hopefully RACING the SCC bus!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:47:30 pm by Berger » Logged

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Lee.C

« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2008, 11:23:36 am »

"I think the start of this tread was ment ironic"

You don't say dude  Cheesy Wink Smiley

Mario/DKT

« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2008, 14:49:12 pm »

"I think the start of this tread was ment ironic"

You don't say dude  Cheesy Wink Smiley

im sure. But russel kicked an avalanche......

plasticblack

« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2008, 16:47:57 pm »

Were we wailing...... Roll Eyes

Sorry about that  Embarrassed

I think that EBI was so good verybody wants it to be perfect Smiley

And that can't be a bad thing Grin

Apologies again Grin   
Russell

« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2008, 09:51:16 am »

All

When i type the post it was meant for a laugh, espically the bit about miss bugin being taken (i meant she was Kobus girlfriend already)

However i have let the post run with deep regret for starting it as if i had known that i would provide the platform for people to express any negative views i wouldnt have done it.

EBI2 was as far as Im concerned is excellent, the work put in my the EBI crew was 1st class and Im proud to be a sponsor of this event, which i regard as the best fun event in Europe, infact maybe the world, yes Bugin and classic are great events but they dont pull the history to the front as we seem to do in Europe which provides a better show IMHO.

As with all things there always room for improvements and next year Ill start what would you like at bugin rathers than whats wrong......

The only good thing is Im sure the organiser want to know what the show goers really think in order to help better plan and improve for next year, at EBI1 no-one had a clue what would happen but it happened and in a big way, EBI2 has made it as well with improvements, EBI3 should be better yet, but we need 3 very important things to make it a success:

1) VW people
2) VW Understanding
3) VW Frendship

who the f%$Ģ cares whats wrong what about whats right............... the list is too long

Best Regards

Russell
plasticblack

« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2008, 10:23:35 am »

EBI3 should be better yet, but we need 3 very important things to make it a success:

1) VW people

2) VW Understanding

3) VW Frendship

I think that's what most people have agreed upon Grin

ESH

« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2008, 10:29:30 am »

... EBI2 was as far as Im concerned is excellent, the work put in my the EBI crew was 1st class ... which i regard as the best fun event in Europe, infact maybe the world ...

I'd second that. Smiley

... what about whats right ...

It's the shit...  Cool
Lee.C

« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2008, 12:00:13 pm »

... EBI2 was as far as Im concerned is excellent, the work put in my the EBI crew was 1st class ... which i regard as the best fun event in Europe, infact maybe the world ...

I'd second that. Smiley

... what about whats right ...

It's the shit...  Cool

Amen brother  Wink Smiley

Mario/DKT

« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2008, 14:36:58 pm »

The most important thing for EBI#3 is: VW CARS  Grin

Prowagen

« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2008, 15:06:06 pm »

The biggest thing wrong with EBI2 for me at the moment is that its over! And we have to wait 11 months and 2 weeks for the next one!

Rob.
colin jardine

« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2008, 15:10:19 pm »

EBI2 was my first european show and i really enjoyed the friendly, laid back atmosphere.  I'd like to thank all those involved for a great weekend, and also Russell and the gasser garage for the hospitality and scottish beer!

cheers

colin
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2008, 15:37:46 pm »

Come on guys lets give Kobus, Mike and fast Fred a break here! I think this is enough constructive critisim for now  Wink Smiley

This is without a doubt THE BEST SHOW OF THE YEAR. PERIOD  Smiley

AMEN.

Done ? Not Yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: