The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 00:50:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  New to this forum / Here is my Fasty & 67 Bug
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New to this forum / Here is my Fasty & 67 Bug  (Read 8671 times)
Critter1

« on: July 10, 2008, 08:52:35 am »

I'm new to this forum, I think is great!  I'm a die hard Cal-Look fan, and I love the 70's style Cal-Lookers, and the Gasser cars too. Nostalgia is pretty cool stuff.  You can bet you'll see me here often. I thought i'd share with you my current driver: 67 Fastback. Nothing too special, it has a 1968cc with 44s & stock "massaged" heads. It goes pretty good for what it is. It ran a 15.6 @ 85mph. I also just had the seats recovered in a charcoal tweel with black perferated vinyl sides & backs. Anyway here are some pics.

I also have a Euro 67 sunroof in the works. It will have a street/gasser feel when its done. Paint will be dove grey and have brick red interior. Good times...

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 16:21:19 pm by Critter1 » Logged
wolfswest

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:24:39 am »

pretty neat stuff you got there.  the beetle in progress should work out great with those parts.  Maybe you can start a topic in da werks section...  Wink

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Sam K

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 14:21:28 pm »

Welcome to the lounge! I love those Cosmic wheels.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 16:59:39 pm »

welcome critters here the place for the good/nice car like yours in a near future  Wink
rgd
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 17:02:55 pm »

A '67 sunroof Fastback!? I would have given my left nut for one of those a couple years ago!!!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 17:06:23 pm »

Nice Cars!

They did tell you that the new guy always buys the first round??  Grin Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 17:33:52 pm »

Welcome to The Lounge, Critter. Dig those Cosmic wheels... they'd look good on the Fastback, too. What kind of gauges are in the dash picture? (the one with the tach) They look like Porsche, but I've never seen a tach face with that layout.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Critter1

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 23:47:55 pm »

A '67 sunroof Fastback!? I would have given my left nut for one of those a couple years ago!!!
Really? Now that I think about it, I haven't seen too many with the sunroof. I rebuilt the sunroof using new cables from ISP West and now it works flawlessly. I had wanted a Fasty for oh, say about 20 YEARS!! It was a two owner California car, both were elderly gentelman who drove it tenderly. It was in great shape when I got it. Apparantly the rear window rubber had seen better days, and sat outside during the winters... Therefore the passenger side pan was gone, as well as part of the drivers side. I replaced the pass side with a ghia pan half, and with a bit of fabrication the floors are now rust free. The package tray is the next project as its shot as well. I have a donor tray I cut out of a 71 that will go in soon. One day it will have paint laid to it, and then i'd actually have to wash it.....
Critter1

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 23:49:23 pm »

Nice Cars!

They did tell you that the new guy always buys the first round??  Grin Grin
What kind of beer do you like? I'll have sent right over  Tongue
Critter1

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 00:05:45 am »

Welcome to The Lounge, Critter. Dig those Cosmic wheels... they'd look good on the Fastback, too. What kind of gauges are in the dash picture? (the one with the tach) They look like Porsche, but I've never seen a tach face with that layout.
Thanks for the compliments on the Cosmics. I've always said that is the ONLY wheel for this project. After all the car will have all the euro model specs, so I figure why not have as many old speed parts from the UK as I can find. Right? Other goodies will include: Cosmic gas pedal, Formula (England) leather wraped aluminum 15" steering wheel, Speedwell quarter panel badges, NOS of course (read: EXPENSIVE!), NOS steering column lock/ignition. I'm still on the look out for a pair of 6" Cosmics with the good offset for the rear...

About the gauges, they are out of an early 4 cyl turbo 924. I removed the factory cone lense and replaced with flat glass. I also had the bezels chromed (originally black). The dash will have 58-61 style pot metal trim.

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 10:12:08 am »

About the gauges, they are out of an early 4 cyl turbo 924. I removed the factory cone lense and replaced with flat glass. I also had the bezels chromed (originally black). The dash will have 58-61 style pot metal trim.

I knew they looked Porsche-like... but I never would've guessed a 924. VERY cool what you've done to them. I dig using factory parts from other cars and making them look different like that. Good job!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 10:19:45 am »

Love the gauges! How did you get the bezels off without damaging them? Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
ESH

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 10:33:14 am »

... so I figure why not have as many old speed parts from the UK as I can find ...

Nice project. Cool

Out of interest are you going for all Lucas electrics to match those UK old speed parts or are you actually wanting to use the car?

Tongue
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 12:27:39 pm »

Hello Critters and welcome here.

You have a very good idea with the gauges. Look very nice and love that do it yourself way. Wink
kev d

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 22:50:17 pm »

Hi Critters, welcome to the lounge!

Very cool cars you have & another type 3 pervert too Wink

Keep the project pics coming too Cool

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 22:54:30 pm »

Welcome to the lounge Critter 1 , looks like some twisted stuff you got going on there , keep up posted on your progress in the werks  Cool

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 05:34:28 am »

Really? Now that I think about it, I haven't seen too many with the sunroof. I rebuilt the sunroof using new cables from ISP West and now it works flawlessly. I had wanted a Fasty for oh, say about 20 YEARS!! It was a two owner California car, both were elderly gentelman who drove it tenderly. It was in great shape when I got it. Apparantly the rear window rubber had seen better days, and sat outside during the winters... Therefore the passenger side pan was gone, as well as part of the drivers side. I replaced the pass side with a ghia pan half, and with a bit of fabrication the floors are now rust free. The package tray is the next project as its shot as well. I have a donor tray I cut out of a 71 that will go in soon. One day it will have paint laid to it, and then i'd actually have to wash it.....

Yeah they are a rare bird, indeed. Funny coincidence, I was in Telluride, CO today and spotted and original paint '67 Fastback sunroof Roll Eyes I wouldnt have been any more surprised if I woke up tomorrow morning with my head sewn to the carpet.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Critter1

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 18:03:12 pm »

Love the gauges! How did you get the bezels off without damaging them? Smiley
Very carefully bent the edges up to clear the lip of the gauge. Of course the bezels didn't go back on as tight as they came from the factory, but good enough for me. Its hard to see when they are installed.
The trip doesn't work. I need to replace the little plastic gear inside...
Critter1

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 23:04:04 pm »

... so I figure why not have as many old speed parts from the UK as I can find ...

Nice project. Cool

Out of interest are you going for all Lucas electrics to match those UK old speed parts or are you actually wanting to use the car?

Tongue
I plan on using the car. It will have a 12 volt system.
I'm always learning something mew..... you'll have to school me on "Lucas electrics". What exacrly are you refering to?
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 00:53:29 am »

Love what you have done with the gauges.. Neat.
Critter1

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 02:36:28 am »

Love what you have done with the gauges.. Neat.
Thank you! Its always good to get positive feedback. Especially when it comes to modifying a dash. The dash I started with was HACKED already by the PO, so anything is an improvement. See here:

Sarge

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 03:35:17 am »

Welcome to the Lounge, Critter!  Thirssssssty....beeeeeeeer  Grin

DKP III
ian c

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 10:58:11 am »

Nice project. Cool

Tongue
I plan on using the car. It will have a 12 volt system.
I'm always learning something mew..... you'll have to school me on "Lucas electrics". What exacrly are you refering to?

lucas is an auto company that supplied parts to many uk car makers .
they have a pretty bad reputation , in fact the nickname is PRINCE OF DARKNESS !!!
this was because of elecric failures Roll Eyes

in fairness , they are no worse than others of the same era , you just have to keep on top of the connections and look out for damaged wires ....

if you do end up using lucas , lots of cars had the same part fitted , but lots of enthusiasts price differently according to what name of car they came off .........  eg jaguar mark2 washer parts will be LOTS more expensive than triumph dolomite washer parts !!!

i was once lucky that my rover p5b broke down on the way back from london ....... lucky for me it was a lucas part that broke , and i happened to have a spare at home that i kept off a daimler 250v8 i used to own ...  good luck ??  Cheesy

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
ian c

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 11:02:05 am »

great car by the way !!!
i've been looking at notchbacks recently , but i've been told i cant buy one Sad

she says " you dont need all these cars , you can only drive one at a time "
i say , " that means i only need one pair of socks "
she says " you're a dick "

Cheesy

(o\ ! /o)
Critter1

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 16:12:53 pm »

great car by the way !!!
i've been looking at notchbacks recently , but i've been told i cant buy one Sad

she says " you dont need all these cars , you can only drive one at a time "
i say , " that means i only need one pair of socks "
she says " you're a dick "

Cheesy
I hate it when they tell me what I need or don't need. If it was me, i'd have a Notchback in the driveway the next day, & I would name it SPITE!!
Just explain to her the value of VW precious metal. Good luck with that.....
ian c

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 19:47:06 pm »

If it was me, i'd have a Notchback in the driveway the next day, & I would name it SPITE!!

sure , and she'd have my balls on a keychain the next day , & she would name it STUPIDITY!!

Cheesy

on some things , i win the battle when she says " fine !! do what you want !! "
on other things , its best to forget it for a little while ................

(o\ ! /o)
ian c

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 19:49:09 pm »

i think i might have a set of vdo guages from a 924 in my garage if you can use them i'll have a look .....
could look cool in the radio "hole" Huh

(o\ ! /o)
Critter1

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 21:04:55 pm »

i think i might have a set of vdo guages from a 924 in my garage if you can use them i'll have a look .....
could look cool in the radio "hole" Huh
Thanks Ian, but i'm good with the gauges. Too many will cluter the dash. I have two Speedwell gauges that are going under the dash in a ribbed aluminum mount.
ian c

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 21:09:49 pm »

no worries .
you gonna keep updating this thread as you complete the car ??

(o\ ! /o)
Critter1

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 15:53:04 pm »

Here a few few more goodies for my project 67. It will be so nice to finally put all this stuff on the car after paint....

I also just scored a cool pair of old school valve covers on ebay. They're Areo-Vee cast aluminum valve covers for homebuilt airplane comversions. Totally 70's!! I'll post pics when I recieve them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 15:55:02 pm by Critter1 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: