The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 05:23:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  looking for a good exhaust with minimum noise
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: looking for a good exhaust with minimum noise  (Read 11542 times)
wolfswest

« on: July 11, 2008, 07:56:46 am »

Hi guys,

I have the same exhaust as in the picture.  Thx to Jesse DVK for letting me “borrow” this picture…  Cheesy
Now, this exhaust is a real beauty for the money you pay for it, but it screams a very high tone sound….  Angry  Angry    I can barely stand it no longer so I’m thinking to install something else…
What are the suggestions?
I was thinking of a dual quiet pack or something like that.  Are these less noisy?  AND the most important question, will I loose HP?  I don’t want to loose HP…  Grin
Some specs of the engine:
It’s a 2179cc with ida’s producing around 190hp with the fanbelt of…

Thx,

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
streetvw

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:12:13 am »

twin quiet packs aren't to loud and they look sooooo cool
wolfswest

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 08:22:45 am »

I've been doing a little research this morning but I think the dual pack wont fit my header.  Are there different quiet packs on the market?  brands, sizes...?

streetvw

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:32:55 am »

yeah there are quite a few different ones about the one on the car above was a pheonix one mounted on a Berg 1.5" street header, but S&S and bugpack also make them I'm sure. you could always cut the mounting flange off and weld it back on once you have the muffler sitting in the right position?
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:54:55 am »

I had the Bugpack dual QPs on my Ghia on an old merged header that I was told was a Berg one. Needed to cut the flange off and re-weld it but not a major job. Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
wolfswest

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 08:56:27 am »

yeah, the flenge will be a problem I think.  I can't weld myself so I have to search somebody who can help me...  we shall see.  First I want some reactions about the HP...  Cheesy

streetvw

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 09:04:15 am »

I seem to recall the hotvw's dyno test showed that dual QP's didn't affect HP in most applications, perhaps Deano can remember as it was his article.
wolfswest

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 09:24:37 am »

I seem to recall the hotvw's dyno test showed that dual QP's didn't affect HP in most applications, perhaps Deano can remember as it was his article.

That would be a good thing...  let's see for some reactions...

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 09:58:34 am »

I can't stand my cars to have a loud exhaust note. I was very pleased after installing the system that I had Tiger at A-1 Muffler build for me. It includes 1½" diameter heater boxes, the same sized sidewinder merged collector header, and a Magnaflow stainless steel muffler. I forget which size inlet and outlet we decided on. Anyway, it's not too loud and works excellent. I made mine even quieter by adding a custom outlet piece that exits out of the factory apron cut-outs. Not everyone wants that look, but I'm sure that you could come up with something different, if you're so inclined. Personally, I wanted maximum ground clearance and I've already had all of the FourTuned and S&S systems back in the '80s. This time, went for a completely different look.

Here it is after I painted it all. I ended up changing the muffler inlet & the muffler backside from silver to black. Looked better than what's pictured here.

After installation.

That's just one option that A-1 Muffler offers. Call Tiger and I'm sure that you can come up with something that's both quiet and performs well. Their phone number is (714) 836-7201. Tell him Mark from D.K.K. (with the Zenith Blue '67 Beetle) sent ya. Good luck with whatever you end up using.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
wolfswest

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 10:14:00 am »

Thx for the input Mark, But I'm from Belgium, so A1 is a little bit far for me  Cheesy  But when I can't find somthing here I will send them an email, they probably do international shipping I guess...

Thx

Dem

Rennsurfer

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 10:37:51 am »

Thx for the input Mark, But I'm from Belgium, so A1 is a little bit far for me  Cheesy  But when I can't find somthing here I will send them an email, they probably do international shipping I guess...

Thx

Dem

You're right, Dem... he ships all over the world, as far as I know. Sadly, shipping isn't cheap. His e-mail is: tigerperformance(at)aol(dot)com

~Sarge
wolfswest

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 11:08:52 am »

the car in question...  Will a dual quiet pack in question look good under my car?

streetvw

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 11:11:40 am »

the car in question...  Will a dual quiet pack in question look good under my car?

to right it would look cool!  Cool a period exhaust on a cal looker is there anything that looks better?
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 11:34:15 am »

I would go for a double quiet pack, not to much noise except when you're in high revs. 
Never noticed a loose off hp... with them on my car.

Jelle

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
wolfswest

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 12:17:32 pm »

I would go for a double quiet pack, not to much noise except when you're in high revs. 

Jelle

Jelle,

I think you have the same header as mine.  Did you ever drove an exhaust like mine now or something similar?  Did you need to do some welding on the flenge when you installed the dual quiet pack?  If so, can you help me out?

Glauco

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 13:05:14 pm »

yeah, the flenge will be a problem I think.  I can't weld myself so I have to search somebody who can help me...  we shall see.  First I want some reactions about the HP...  Cheesy
I'll weld them for you, duall quit pack all the way man Wink
wolfswest

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 18:31:10 pm »

I went to the local vw shop this evening and Steve barrowed me a dual quiet pack to see if it suits my needs.  I removed the exhaust and tried to put the dual muffler on... WTF...  I hope there are different models because this one hangs completely after the car.  not a single inch is tucked away under the fenders...  Huh  So I hope there are more models or else I have to do some serious welding and that is not possible on a barrowed exhaust...

He also told me that there will be hp loss  Angry  Undecided

I will post pictures tomorrow so my explination makes sense...

roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 18:36:30 pm »

I guess he gave you a dual qp not for merged header...

Glitter don't make you faster.
wolfswest

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 18:45:56 pm »

I guess he gave you a dual qp not for merged header...

that's right Roland, I allready did my homework and there are two models, see the pictures.  I received the wrong one.  In the webshop his description they say with the "good model" "competition dual quiet pack"  So is this just to know that it is for a merged header or is also the diameter of the flenge bigger?  Who can tell?  Because the model I have right know the flenge is much smaller then my header....   Undecided   So I hope it is different with the good model.

wolfswest

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 19:00:43 pm »

the second and "better" model

nicolas

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 19:22:41 pm »

ask Tobi DFL he has the same engine, lots of power and runs dual quietpacks. now stop going to Steve and let him work on my engine!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Rennsurfer

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 19:24:40 pm »

MUCH better choice. That set is made for a merged collector, not a standard one.

~Sarge
wolfswest

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 19:33:22 pm »

ask Tobi DFL he has the same engine, lots of power and runs dual quietpacks. now stop going to Steve and let him work on my engine!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

he was working on your engine but I told him to quit it and have a little chat...  So we talked about an hour or 2 and then he called it a day.  Normally your engine should been ready this night but it turned out different....   Sorry 'bout that!   Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin   just kidding hombre.  Wink

nicolas

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 19:38:45 pm »

he was working on your engine but I told him to quit it and have a little chat...  So we talked about an hour or 2 and then he called it a day.  Normally your engine should been ready this night but it turned out different....   Sorry 'bout that!   Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin   just kidding hombre.  Wink

Grin Grin

funny because it could be true  Grin Grin
wolfswest

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 19:45:06 pm »

MUCH better choice. That set is made for a merged collector, not a standard one.

Mark,

Can you tell if the flenge is bigger inside then the "standard" model?

Rennsurfer

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 20:48:44 pm »

Mark,

Can you tell if the flenge is bigger inside then the "standard" model?

I'm probably not the right person to ask, but if I remember correctly... there are only two flange sizes. The larger Thunderbird one and the more common smaller ones like on (S&S, FourTuned, A-1, etc. What you need to be more concerned with is the position of the flange. Looking at the Fatboy muffler that you posted, it looks like a small flange is on that one. Which is good. The only issue you'll have to deal with is pointing the flange to the correct position to line up with your header. A very easy fix (if that's the problem) for someone that can weld or simply take it to a muffler shop. Inexpensive, too.

Without seeing your header and muffler together, it's rather hard to tell, just from pictures. But with a merged collector, you do need the added bend on the muffler inlet(s). That much is factual.

~Sarge
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 21:16:04 pm »

Jelle

Jelle,

I think you have the same header as mine.  Did you ever drove an exhaust like mine now or something similar?  Did you need to do some welding on the flenge when you installed the dual quiet pack?  If so, can you help me out?

I had a A1 muffler on before... never noticed a difference;
best time on the strip 13.5 with double quiet pack ; 13.6 with A1 muffler

I changed the flange on the double quiet pack for a bigger version.

JElle

WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
wolfswest

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 08:24:09 am »

Jelle

Jelle,

I had a A1 muffler on before... never noticed a difference;
best time on the strip 13.5 with double quiet pack ; 13.6 with A1 muffler

I changed the flange on the double quiet pack for a bigger version.

JElle

Jelle,

What make is the dual quiet pack of yours?  or where did you ordered it?  Can you give me instructions how to modify the flange?  Or can I pay you to do it?  Grin

lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 21:04:28 pm »

It's a bugpack with a bigger bugpack flange, bot ordered through Steve, but can be get anywhere.
I like the Flat4 ones too... would love to seen one off those on a car.
If you need help, just mail me...

Jelle

WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Critter1

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 04:44:26 am »

Here is what I put together for my Fastback with 1968cc. Its a 2" Magnaflow. I can't recall the exact deminsions, but its one of thier smaller mufflers. Its hooked up to an older S&S 1-1/2" merged header. It sounds great with a nice tone. I'm impressed with it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:46:58 am by Critter1 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: