The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 05:39:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  looking for a good exhaust with minimum noise
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: looking for a good exhaust with minimum noise  (Read 11544 times)
wolfswest

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 07:59:49 am »

nice things you can do if you are a bit handy...  Undecided    I will look for a solution.

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
wolfswest

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 08:37:41 am »

It's a bugpack with a bigger bugpack flange, bot ordered through Steve, but can be get anywhere.
I like the Flat4 ones too... would love to seen one off those on a car.
If you need help, just mail me...

Jelle

I've looked at these models on the flat 4 site and they realy look good.  I was wondering what the price would be, anybody a clue?
I will contact you Jelle...  thx 4 helping me out.

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 19:20:54 pm »

Hello. One note toke take into consideration.
Most dual quietpacks wohnt handle more than about 160 hp. After that they begin to limit the output.
T
Jim Ratto

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 21:41:02 pm »

With that big of a motor i would be concerned about it running hot with dual quiets. My car ran so much cooler when I uncorked it, thanks to Bill Schwimmer's advice (2165cc) and swapped QPs for Magnaflow.
Yes it is loud, but personally I like the aggressive bark it gives.

What about a Dynomax turbo muffler, they are much muh queiter than the Magnaflow, but still run well on big cc engines.
I know lots of cars that went 13's at near 100mph running QP mufflers, so they will work, but not as well as (cooling) as the larger muffler.
wolfswest

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 11:41:21 am »

With that big of a motor i would be concerned about it running hot with dual quiets. My car ran so much cooler when I uncorked it, thanks to Bill Schwimmer's advice (2165cc) and swapped QPs for Magnaflow.
Yes it is loud, but personally I like the aggressive bark it gives.

What about a Dynomax turbo muffler, they are much muh queiter than the Magnaflow, but still run well on big cc engines.
I know lots of cars that went 13's at near 100mph running QP mufflers, so they will work, but not as well as (cooling) as the larger muffler.

Jim,
Yesterday I took my bug out for a spin with dual quiet pack mufflers (small flange) and after a while I saw some heatmarks on the cooling thin so yes, it's a fact.  The engine runs much warmer with the qp's then a turbo muffler.  Maybe this has something to do with the small flange?  If I change it for a bigger flange + a bigger tube between the flange and the part where the qp goes in 2 pieces?

Dem

Peter

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 12:06:55 pm »

hey Dem,
i think the flange may have something to do with it, but the mufflers itself are restrictive as well...
wolfswest

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 21:18:53 pm »

hey Dem,
i think the flange may have something to do with it, but the mufflers itself are restrictive as well...

Peter,

Yes, I worked all day on the car and installed the old turbo style muffler back under the car.  the power output is so much better, so I guess I will stick with it.  Maybe I work out a modified dual qp like Tobi's this winter because I like the look, but for now I will stick with the current system.  But I noticed when I watched in the muffler that there was no wool in it.  I'm gonna cut open the muffler and put special exhaust wool in it from a motorcycle and weld it again.  So I think that it will be more quiet...  Fingers crossed.
I will post pictures of the works...

How is your 2276 developing?

wolfswest

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 10:38:18 am »

a little update...  maybe interesting for all you guys that drive the same exhaust as shown in the picture...  Me and a friend cutted a square in the muffler on the bottom end and filled it with some sort of wool of a motorcycle muffler.  Besides the tube with holes in it there was NOTHING is this muffler...  Huh I guess more expensive models from A1 and dynomax etc have something more inside...   (pictures will follow to make it cristal clear)  weld it back together and took it for a spin yesterday...
WOW, impressive!  Shocked  At idle and midrange rpm's the sound is deeper and when I hit the high revs it sounds more like a factory racecar, not like a screamer...  The car is certainly more quiet and I'm satisfied!  And the most important part of the story, just like I expected: It makes 'more' power....

Torque builds up quicker in midrange rpm's...  When I shift in tihirth normally I have a little dip, no torque, no hp, but now he just pulls trough this dip more faster and hits the powerband faster...  the dip is gone.  Probably you won't see this on the dyno but you just feel it....  tonight my friend's vette is going down...  Grin

Dr. Bad

Dem

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 15:44:20 pm »

Right on! Sounds like you achieved your mission. Hopefully, the 'Vette will go down. Always a good thing when an air-cooled VW takes down and fully embarrasses a V8.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
wolfswest

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 15:50:14 pm »

Right on! Sounds like you achieved your mission. Hopefully, the 'Vette will go down. Always a good thing when an air-cooled VW takes down and fully embarrasses a V8.

Grin

yep,
Last time we did the 1/4 mile thing my front t-bar was equal with his rearbumper when we crossed the finish, a close race Grin   I hope that I'm gonna catch him now...  it's also a tricked out vette, not stock...

Dem

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: