The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:56:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Project `55
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Project `55  (Read 141688 times)
Russell

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 18:05:54 pm »

would prefer if he was working on the babe on the otherside of the garage ?  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
kev d

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 23:50:18 pm »

Got a bit more done this week Shocked
I`d been putting off repairing the rot in the lower `screen corners but it `s done now & did`nt take as long as I thought it would Grin
Also cut back the new inner wings & heater channels. I`ve now run out of bits to cut off..
Just need to do some repairs to the rear wing mounting edges, fit the deck lid & valence, some prepping and the shell`s off for primer Grin

A local fab shop made new end plates for the beam with a water jet cutter & did a neat job too, a trip to the blasters & its finished.

Colour.. think I`ve considered everything from white to black & straight colour to 60`s style graphics Roll Eyes
Still not decided but theres plenty of time left for that!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
62Cal-lookGhia

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 05:38:35 am »

It looks like your project is bigger than mine. Keep up the good work Kev. I can't wait to see how she turns out.
-Andy
Mario/DKT

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 09:33:45 am »

wow... a really light-weight oval one...hell Shocked

Mario/DKT

kev d

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 19:56:35 pm »

Well I`m at the stage where you spend hours & hours in the garage with nothing big to show for it Roll Eyes

It`s now got mounting tabs & brackets for the `glass bonnet & deck lid which have all been fitted & gapped along with a removable rear valance. I`ve had it built up with the wings as well & it almost looks like a car again Shocked
I`ve closed off the front ends of the heater channels & notched them for a bit more clearance with the cage, I`ll probably need to do the same with the other end too.

Once I get the repairs to the rear wing mounting flanges finished its off for a coat of primer Grin

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 20:19:51 pm »

No Kev you need to cut some more out of it before putting primer on it.

Oh good to see you are working on own car. Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
kev d

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 23:34:28 pm »

No Kev you need to cut some more out of it before putting primer on it.

Oh good to see you are working on own car. Grin

Managing to squeeze in the odd hour Wink

ESH

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 17:38:42 pm »

... Managing to squeeze in the odd hour ...

Looking forward to seeing it run sometime in the Summer, all the best with those finishing touches.

Shocked  Grin

Cool
kev d

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 21:14:25 pm »

... Managing to squeeze in the odd hour ...

Looking forward to seeing it run sometime in the Summer, all the best with those finishing touches.

Shocked  Grin

Cool

So am I Wink
Cheers,
Kev

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 23:04:07 pm »

Looking Good Kev.

Isnt it about time you got that old fastback finished, I think Keiths looking for another car to break..... Wink Wink

Keep up the good work.

Martin.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009, 23:10:13 pm »

Well, I know some northern dude who's got an old Fiat and a Resto-Cal Split which need breaking in... Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2009, 23:34:47 pm »

Well, I know some northern dude who's got an old Fiat and a Resto-Cal Split which need breaking in... Grin

Oi ! less of the 'Dude'    lol

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
kev d

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2009, 22:19:20 pm »

shhhhhhhhh.. don`t mention the fasty Wink

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2009, 23:32:34 pm »

wasnt that going to be done for EBI 2 ? lol

Dont worry Kev, we know its in good hands. I know what its like when you get 'side tracked' lol

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 23:35:35 pm by Martin » Logged

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
ESH

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 12:19:33 pm »

... wasnt that going to be done for EBI 2 ? ...

Given the project was started on July 11th 2008 I doubt it!  Grin
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 13:51:07 pm »

Or, in your case, the 'Slowy'... Wink

kev d

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 20:50:10 pm »

Or, in your case, the 'Slowy'... Wink

Pretty sharp for an old guy... Wink

kev d

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 18:38:08 pm »

Got an unexpected garage pass today Wink

Finished up the rear wing mounting flanges & fitted the body to the new pan, not a hard job now it weighs next to nothing Grin
Once the body was bolted & `squared` I tried the new (pattern) LH door... bit of trial & error but now fits the hole!
A bit of attention with the hole saw & nibbler made it a bit lighter too..

Going away tomorow for a couple of weeks but there should be T2 gearbox mounts & maybe a cage waiting when I get back Cool

ESH

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 19:52:53 pm »

Got an unexpected garage pass today Wink

Finished up the rear wing mounting flanges & fitted the body to the new pan, not a hard job now it weighs next to nothing Grin
Once the body was bolted & `squared` I tried the new (pattern) LH door... bit of trial & error but now fits the hole!
A bit of attention with the hole saw & nibbler made it a bit lighter too..

Going away tomorow for a couple of weeks but there should be T2 gearbox mounts & maybe a cage waiting when I get back Cool

Nice work Kev, given the order in which you're priorotising your projects I'd say it's probable that you somehow got bit by the racing Bug.

Cheesy
kev d

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 22:06:59 pm »

Nice work Kev, given the order in which you're priorotising your projects I'd say it's probable that you somehow got bit by the racing Bug.

Cheesy
[/quote]

You think? Grin Wink

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 22:27:52 pm »

Couldn't imagine the fastback on the strip Tongue

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Jesus

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 13:30:16 pm »

Great Project,  Grin

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
kev d

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 19:31:04 pm »

Not this year anyway... Wink
Great Project,  Grin
Cheers! Grin

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2009, 19:39:37 pm »

Hmmm, you're too young to remember... 13.56 on street tyres. Bloody kids. Roll Eyes

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2009, 19:29:44 pm »

Hmmm, you're too young to remember... 13.56 on street tyres. Bloody kids. Roll Eyes

I'm not that young! although I do have a picture somewhere of me with the fastback at the German Car Co in '87 maybe Grin

also got a photo of a certain Mr Seume that I took of you cutting the Custom Car 21st birthday cake. Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
kev d

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2009, 00:21:24 am »

Went out today to try in the gearbox, I`m using SSP mounts & there were a couple of areas along the inner fork flange that were in the way Roll Eyes
There was`nt much room for the CV joints either so I`ve notched the top of the forks & plated it back up.

I`ve got a bit of a dilemma with wheels / hubs etc.. I`ve got 4 stud rear brakes (late type 3) & 5 stud front Roll Eyes
I can either use dropped front spindles which accept late 4 stud brakes or convert the rear to wide 5, even porsche 5 drilled late drums / discs, but can`t make up my mind Roll Eyes
I`d like to use 4.5 rims on the front with 5.5 or 6 on the rear which limits wheel choice too.
Are wide 5 type 3 rear drums a straight fit onto late type 3 brakes or would I need to use bug drums?
Cheers,
Kev

nicolas

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2009, 11:04:50 am »

Are wide 5 type 3 rear drums a straight fit onto late type 3 brakes or would I need to use bug drums?

i have had a set off wide 5's and i run the 4 lugs and it looks like a straight swap to me. the drums have the splined part in them and if the width is the same as the hub off the 4lug type i think it goes on like that. the diameter is the same i think. i can give the measurements off the 4lug, but you have those as well... i'll try do see what my books say.

anyway, when is the fastback done?

Grin
kev d

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2009, 20:10:42 pm »

i have had a set off wide 5's and i run the 4 lugs and it looks like a straight swap to me. the drums have the splined part in them and if the width is the same as the hub off the 4lug type i think it goes on like that. the diameter is the same i think. i can give the measurements off the 4lug, but you have those as well... i'll try do see what my books say.

anyway, when is the fastback done?

Cheers Wink

Fasty??lalalalalalala Grin

Grin

WhiteTrash

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2009, 23:23:47 pm »

Kev, you looking for a name for it when its done?
How about Skeletor since there's not much left of it. Cheesy
Are you using a 1600 bus box or just to mock up? Huh

HOFF#67

Lotus White '67's are the best!!!
kev d

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2009, 08:32:25 am »

Hi Frank Grin
Keith`s already named it "the scrapper" & I kinda like it.... Cheesy
I`m not sure what `box I`ll use to begin with & I don`t know the ratios in a 1600 bay box but I doubt they`ll work, I`m just giving myself the option to use one.

Whats the limits of a t1 irs box & cv`s / shafts?
I`m aiming to get the body & chassis finished before settling on what engine & box to use, they`ll just change as I can afford better / break things anyway Grin

Hows the hand btw?
Cheers,
Kev

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: