The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 12:13:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350824 Posts in 28601 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  For sale!
| | |-+  staging brakes for sale!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: staging brakes for sale!!!!  (Read 2801 times)
nicolas

« on: July 13, 2008, 21:55:21 pm »

well what i got is really cheap and easy to do yourself, but i can ship the parts needed for the conversion. royalties on the patented idea can be transferred to my bankaccount (i do take blank cheques as well)

so after i read the topic about gearboxes breaking and staging the car before going off at the line. i was really looking into possibilities to have a staging brake. i like what Johnny Salgado did on his black 67, but never saw any good pics so i could copy that. so i let my old brain work out an idea... most off the time it really draws a blank but this time i have come up with something i guess. (BTW maybe it has been done a million times before, but i never have seen it or heard about it.)

i have drilled a hole off 6mm in the handbrake lever, just at the point were it can hold the teethed piece away from the fixed part in the handbrak. by pushing the button in you losen the handbrake and by putting in 'the screw' (c) it holds it there in that position and you wont leave your handbrake on when leaving the startingline. easily installed and removed without compromising security or regulations in any country.

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 23:52:24 pm »

patent pending  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:35:57 am »

Here's what Matt Chapman did on my car – very neat mod.

The lever and button are drilled (1) and there's a pit-pin (2) that can be pushed through to hold the button down. The neat bit is that he added that extension to the top of the lever which brings it closer to hand when staging the car. Then he fitted the button for the two-step in the front end of that extension (he even drilled the tubes so that the wire for the two-step could be hidden inside). Very well thought out and works perfectly. You even get somewhere to store the pit-pin when not in use!

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 20:28:16 pm »

very cool as well!! just to be sure a two step is a line lock right??? me so stupid. and it can be done in the button as well but the original one is plastic so i thought it would wear out too fast. this was to to cover up any suspicious thinking at the MOT.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 22:42:25 pm »

very cool as well!! just to be sure a two step is a line lock right??? me so stupid. and it can be done in the button as well but the original one is plastic so i thought it would wear out too fast. this was to to cover up any suspicious thinking at the MOT.
No, the two-step is the MSD rev-limiter to allow you to bring the rpm up at launch. The button in my car is aluminium, but the original in moulded plastic will work just as well...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Christofe

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 08:18:55 am »

Nicolas,

I just made the mod on my '72.
Will be tested this week-end at bitburg....  Grin Grin Grin

But I do love the mod with the additional handgrip so need to find a handbrake to make that one too.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

Christofe
D.A.S
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 06:54:23 am »

I just tape the button down while at the track then remove the tape  after racing

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: