The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:47:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  8600 miles and still 4 lobes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 8600 miles and still 4 lobes  (Read 11758 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: July 14, 2008, 00:54:09 am »

tore 2165 down, cam is still a cam, all but one lifter look new (the one shows slightest wear).
not a plug, but I am happy with my Valvoline.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:02:41 am »

That the FK-45. How do the lifter bores look? What are the specs on the new cam? You staying with the 2165?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Sarge

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:04:28 am »

Good news, Jim!!

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 02:15:37 am »

What are the lifters?  I probably missed it if you told us.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:21:35 am »

Bugpack-Tayco lifters, Valvoline 15W40 Premium Blue, with dose of a ZDDP additive.
it is going back together this week and next as 2165cc

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 08:37:45 am »

How's the sweater holding up?

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
airstuff

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:39:47 am »

tore 2165 down, cam is still a cam, all but one lifter look new (the one shows slightest wear).

Hey Jim,

any pics of the lifters and the cam?
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:54:20 am »

good to hear jim!
i hope i can expect the same longevity of my engle cam and bugpack-tayco lifters if i can find some good oil Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
javabug

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 12:32:23 pm »

Wait—only 4 lobes?  So half of them did go flat?   Huh Wink

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 14:13:48 pm »

Huh
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 14:55:23 pm »

cam not lifters

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Casey

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 16:21:56 pm »

Great news Jim! I finally took the diaper off mine. Now dipstick likes to push out. Roll Eyes

DKP III
Tony M

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 16:28:00 pm »

Glad to hear that Jim - This gives hope to all that have had lifter problems - Good to see that some parts are still made with quality -

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
javabug

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 16:53:15 pm »

Huh

Hey now don't I look dumb!  I was having an OHC moment—2 lobes per cyl.

Lips Sealed Roll Eyes Undecided

Go ahead and ban me from technical posts.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 18:51:35 pm »

[Valvoline™ plug]not a plug, but I am happy with my Valvoline.[/Valvoline™ plug]

There, I fixed your post for ya, Jim.

Grin

Joking aside, I'm not surprised that Valvoline holds up in h.p. air-cooled engines. That's all I've ever used in mine. Seems to work rather well. But oil preferences are like our opinions... we all have one. So, I'm guessing that you're gonna go with the same cam on the rebuild, yes?

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 19:03:06 pm »

[Valvoline™ plug]not a plug, but I am happy with my Valvoline.[/Valvoline™ plug]

There, I fixed your post for ya, Jim.

Grin

Joking aside, I'm not surprised that Valvoline holds up in h.p. air-cooled engines. That's all I've ever used in mine. Seems to work rather well. But oil preferences are like our opinions... we all have one. So, I'm guessing that you're gonna go with the same cam on the rebuild, yes?

Hi Mark,
I did a bunch of researching on the oil for this last motor after having a cam failure in the previous, even though I did what I "thought" was the correct thing to do...i.e. synthetic. I had no idea how bad some synthetics are fro flat tappet hp stuff, like my Bug motor. Thanks to LN Engineering's posting on engine oil for Porsche and VW's I found that this Valvoline has the "stuff" we need to make things live. No I am not going back to FK45, not because it is worn and certainly not because it eats lifter bores (my lifter bores still look untouched... no rock, the ID's are still pickled gold-green) but because I feel it doesn't have enough overlap for my taste. I am going with a Pauter cam very similar to 86C Web.

so to conclude, the engine will be 94 x 78mm, 9.3:1, 044 44 x 37.5 heads ported by yours truly and Clyde Berg, Pauter R6E8 cam with 1.25 rockers, 48 Webers, 1-3/4" header pipes. I picked up a few new goodies while in Bay Area too, from my friend John Holleran (owns a Porsche speed and fab/resoration/dyno shop).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 21:12:30 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Sarge

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 01:17:51 am »

Huh

I'm pullin' your beer card Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 01:21:44 am »

Hi Mark,
I did a bunch of researching on the oil for this last motor after having a cam failure in the previous, even though I did what I "thought" was the correct thing to do...i.e. synthetic. I had no idea how bad some synthetics are fro flat tappet hp stuff, like my Bug motor. Thanks to LN Engineering's posting on engine oil for Porsche and VW's I found that this Valvoline has the "stuff" we need to make things live. No I am not going back to FK45, not because it is worn and certainly not because it eats lifter bores (my lifter bores still look untouched... no rock, the ID's are still pickled gold-green) but because I feel it doesn't have enough overlap for my taste. I am going with a Pauter cam very similar to 86C Web.

so to conclude, the engine will be 94 x 78mm, 9.3:1, 044 44 x 37.5 heads ported by yours truly and Clyde Berg, Pauter R6E8 cam with 1.25 rockers, 48 Webers, 1-3/4" header pipes. I picked up a few new goodies while in Bay Area too, from my friend John Holleran (owns a Porsche speed and fab/resoration/dyno shop).

Nice! Were you using Valvoline 100% synthetic or the Dura-Blend (mix of fossil and synthetic)?

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
javabug

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 02:52:11 am »

Huh

I'm pullin' your beer card Roll Eyes Grin

Oh COME ON!!!   Cry Angry Cheesy

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 17:40:20 pm »

Hi Mark,

Nice! Were you using Valvoline 100% synthetic or the Dura-Blend (mix of fossil and synthetic)?

I was using two different synths: Mobil 1 15W50 and Lubro Moly 5W40
now I use conventional Valvo PB 15W40
Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 18:35:28 pm »

Great news Jim! I finally took the diaper off mine. Now dipstick likes to push out. Roll Eyes

is pulley spitting up too? Sounds like a breahter issue....  Undecided
Casey

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 20:28:08 pm »

Yes, out of pulley too. Breather lines are still dry. Running 40wt and filled to 2nd line on dip stick. Jim  says run 20/50 and fill to lower line. TBC........ I will be at Drag In though!

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 00:54:50 am »

Yes, out of pulley too. Breather lines are still dry. Running 40wt and filled to 2nd line on dip stick. Jim  says run 20/50 and fill to lower line. TBC........ I will be at Drag In though!

First line for me, too...or just a shade past.  Anymore and it'll spew.

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 00:55:52 am »

Does Bates have lines on his "dipstick"?
Sarge

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 01:03:59 am »

Does Bates have lines on his "dipstick"?

That's between you and Bates...I ain't goin' there! Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Neil Davies

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 11:09:43 am »

I had a problem with my 2276 oil breathing - I had a T-piece in the breather lines that was actually pressurising one half of the motor! Changed the routing of the breather tubes and my rocker cover gasket sealing problem was suddenly gone.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 11:32:54 am »

Good to hear Jim, (you know) i had same good experience with Webcam/Scat Lube-A-Lobe combo.

Done ? Not Yet.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 23:12:14 pm »

Pulled rest of motor down the other night, and I am pretty impressed with how fresh everything looks. Rod bearings still have the grey dull overlay, mains no battle scars, Mahle pistons still showing the grey coat on skirts, and no huff marks at cylinder-to-head seal (no copper gaskets, I wanted a tight deck). I have to say that this little guy made a hell of a street motor, lots of torque, took a good beating, good throttle response, lived in the heat and wild times. If anybody was going to ask me for a mean street combo, I'd have to suggest this last motor.

New cam is a little more aggressive, at 271 deg @ .050 about same lift as K45. The heads appear to have way more port volume on the intakes, from about mid manifold to valve. Can you say peaky?  Grin
nicolas

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 08:06:43 am »

tweaky!!!!
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 17:38:30 pm »

I'm checking the valve lift on my engine. I have some slight difference between each valve. I wonder what is the tolerance?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: