The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:14:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  The "Holy Grail" of 70s Drag Racing Memorabilia??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The "Holy Grail" of 70s Drag Racing Memorabilia??  (Read 7210 times)
DKK Vince
DKK

"It's not RUST...it's PATINA"

« on: July 13, 2012, 04:18:45 am »

Well...I'm not sure about that, but I can truly say that now, I have seen everything... Shocked Wink

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILD-WILLIE-BORSCH-LEGENDARY-DUMMY-ARM-OFF-REVELL-WILD-MAN-FUNNY-CAR-MARCELLUS-/330759706420?hash=item4d02d09734&item=330759706420&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 13:55:59 pm »

Just... wow. That's a whole lot of typing for something that no one's gonna buy. He should just keep it.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 16:08:06 pm »

Donate the items to the NHRA museum.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 00:22:56 am »

Donate the items to the NHRA museum.

Oh, so they can dispose of it properly?

~Sarge
richie

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 10:03:15 am »

Just... wow. That's a whole lot of typing for something that no one's gonna buy. He should just keep it.

I am guessing with the bidding already at $1600 someone is going to buy it,guess you can buy history,from your comments it seems you dont get it,why would the museum dispose of it,have you been there,memorbilia like this fills the cabinets and every piece tells a story,to me its really interesting,maybe its not to you

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
LuftsickTero

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 15:58:46 pm »

memorbilia like this fills the cabinets and every piece tells a story,to me its really interesting,maybe its not to you

I dig memorabilia too but this is a little creepy.

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 21:10:12 pm »

It's only a flesh wound...  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 05:06:59 am »

Rick, your post cracks me up! HAHA!! Well played, sir.

I am guessing with the bidding already at $1600 someone is going to buy it,guess you can buy history,from your comments it seems you dont get it,why would the museum dispose of it,have you been there,memorbilia like this fills the cabinets and every piece tells a story,to me its really interesting,maybe its not to you

cheers richie

If it's so interesting, then buy it. I highly doubt many people would revere that thing for anything above a hundred dollars. To each their own, I suppose.

~Sarge
Dyno-Don

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 00:50:38 am »

well, it sold for $2142.00! It is kind of a big deal to those of us that lived the era of the real Gassers and Altereds. and Wild Willie Borsch was probably one of the biggest characters out there. He was legendary for his arm out the side driving style and many of us got a real kick out of it when he put the fake arm on the funny car.
I hope it does end up in a museum, preferably the NHRA
richie

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 11:02:47 am »

well, it sold for $2142.00! It is kind of a big deal to those of us that lived the era of the real Gassers and Altereds. and Wild Willie Borsch was probably one of the biggest characters out there. He was legendary for his arm out the side driving style and many of us got a real kick out of it when he put the fake arm on the funny car.
I hope it does end up in a museum, preferably the NHRA

Well said dyno Smiley

And to some of us that werent lucky enough to be there to witness it live,but can read and learn about the wild antics that went on back then when inovation and the showman were king Grin and get to see the cars still through the nostalgia events

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Rennsurfer

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 13:58:15 pm »

Groovy, man. Yeah, was there to witness many races at O.C.I.R. too. I hope whomever bought that thing feels like they scored something of great value.

Cheesy

Thanks for posting the link, Vince. Like we were talking about at the track the other day... it's just funny what's for sale out there and what people are willing to pay.

~Sarge
Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 15:41:52 pm »

I can see both sides - on the one hand (pardon the pun!) it's a cool piece of memorabilia, on the other hand, it's a hellishly expensive freaky arm! Cheesy Pretty cool if you've got the car to go with it tho.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
bugnut68

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 00:04:28 am »

I dig the early days of drag racing and the history and all, but I'll never be an eclectic collector.  $2,000 plus for a conversation piece, I can't even imagine having the dollars to piss away on something like that, for two reasons: I'm not obsessed with the old days of drag racing and, of course the big one, the dollars aren't there to piss away. lol.  To each their own, though.  I certainly don't judge the buyer for his purchase, just not something I fully understand.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 02:59:52 am »

Does the Revell Funny Car still exist ?
I can see that person really wanting it !
DKK Vince
DKK

"It's not RUST...it's PATINA"

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 20:21:12 pm »

As much as I truly appreciate all things that help tell the story of the history of drag racing, this one really threw me for a loop. Willie Borsch was definitely a significant figure in that history but to discover something of this nature and put it on eBay, I found very amusing. Even though it is a “fringe” piece of memorabilia, this item would be best served displayed properly in the NHRA or Garlits museum with other Borsch items to tie it all in and not in some private collection sitting on a shelf in someone’s “man-cave”.

I just hope who ever was the high-bidder is communicating to his household about its impeding delivery. Can you imagine the reaction of some poor, unsuspecting wife as she opens up the shipping carton and finds THIS??!...  *cue “Psycho” soundtrack...

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 20:22:48 pm by Vince DKK » Logged
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 01:52:01 am »

I watched the AA/FA's at Irwindale as a kid and saw Wild Willie get the Win light many times, so his name associated with any memorabilia item is a big lure to me for sure.
We would see his arm hanging off the door and thought it was so cool. This was quite a feat as most people referred to them as "Guard Rail" cars because of their short wheelbases and consequent poor handling at over 200 MPH! It wasn't until years later that I found out that the arm/hand was a dummy!
These guys were in it for the show as well as the go. You had to make a name for yourself just like any entertainer, and his "gimmick" worked on me as well as many others.

As far as I'm concerned, this is like buying John Wayne's saddle,  the Lone Rangers mask or Zoro's sword!

Congrats to the Winner!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: