The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:49:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Danny Gab tell us about building the black K Ghia and drivng it
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Danny Gab tell us about building the black K Ghia and drivng it  (Read 2181 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: July 20, 2008, 01:15:04 am »

Hi Danny, always really dug that car, the article on it in HotVWs was "ok" but would love to hear stories behind bulding the car from you. How long did it take, how did you decide on color, interior, engine, 911 alloys, custom shroud, etc? Really, that car was a true piece of art. Wish I had seen it in person, but was never down here when it was out.

Thanks Danny

Jim
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 02:42:26 am »

thanks jim ! well it started out at steve wilkersons shop getting a motor. I asked steve who owned it,was some kid in the service. I told steve if the guy wanted to sale let me know, well about a year later steve called with good news and bad news. The car was for sale but was side swiped . the car was flat from the center of head light back tothe  tail light. Like a dumb ass I went and bought the thing and started buying parts. across the street was a little vw parts place in stanton, I found a NOS 1/4 panel and door and went to dealer and got a head light bucket, when you could get parts for old vws. I did most of the metalwork in the garage and when I needed to weld something I'd haul it down to boyds when I was working there. a good friend Billy Bad had the trans and mark was the brains behind makeing it run. the interior sucked it was done at westminister auto apostry by pete engil, what a butcher. only thing I really liked on the car was tack mount that was originally the speaker grill. and i spent million hours metal finishing the bumpers. it seems like a million years ago I built the thing,sometimes I wish I had it still but I bought alot of my machinery to get started at my shop from saleing it , one thing boyd said that made sense, you build car A to sale for car B that you can sale to get the car you want, car C. the fun is building, so you learn something for the next one.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 05:25:59 am »

thanks jim ! well it started out at steve wilkersons shop getting a motor. I asked steve who owned it,was some kid in the service. I told steve if the guy wanted to sale let me know, well about a year later steve called with good news and bad news. The car was for sale but was side swiped . the car was flat from the center of head light back tothe  tail light. Like a dumb ass I went and bought the thing and started buying parts. across the street was a little vw parts place in stanton, I found a NOS 1/4 panel and door and went to dealer and got a head light bucket, when you could get parts for old vws. I did most of the metalwork in the garage and when I needed to weld something I'd haul it down to boyds when I was working there. a good friend Billy Bad had the trans and mark was the brains behind makeing it run. the interior sucked it was done at westminister auto apostry by pete engil, what a butcher. only thing I really liked on the car was tack mount that was originally the speaker grill. and i spent million hours metal finishing the bumpers. it seems like a million years ago I built the thing,sometimes I wish I had it still but I bought alot of my machinery to get started at my shop from saleing it , one thing boyd said that made sense, you build car A to sale for car B that you can sale to get the car you want, car C. the fun is building, so you learn something for the next one.

We used to stock early OE Ghia headlight buckets @ Buggy House up north, in the '90's.....Overland parts had a blowout on them and we bought probably 30 or 40 of them.... sold maybe 1, which mean the other 39 are still sitting somewhere. (as a side note, we also used get Okrasa 82mm new 912 journal cranks from them too in 1991 or 92...... we were selling them retail for $450 Shocked). Thanks for the insight on the car, there's yet to be a Karmann Ghia of equal quality and stance since. Wish I had your talent dude.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 17:08:47 pm »

thanks, and right back at ya with the talent. everybody shines in one way or another !

Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 18:03:29 pm »

We used to stock early OE Ghia headlight buckets @ Buggy House up north, in the '90's.....Overland parts had a blowout on them and we bought probably 30 or 40 of them.... sold maybe 1, which mean the other 39 are still sitting somewhere. (as a side note, we also used get Okrasa 82mm new 912 journal cranks from them too in 1991 or 92...... we were selling them retail for $450 Shocked). Thanks for the insight on the car, there's yet to be a Karmann Ghia of equal quality and stance since. Wish I had your talent dude.

Now about those other 39 Ghia headlight buckets....

PS. Jim you got PM.

Done ? Not Yet.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 18:27:38 pm »

That was one bad-assed Ghia, Danny. I miss Steve W. too. I hope that we can contact him before our reunion, next year.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 01:53:05 am »

Yes It would, I haven't seen steve in about 20 years. He went MIA

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: