The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:29:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  Wanted
| | |-+  Help me ID these Gauges Please.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help me ID these Gauges Please.  (Read 3144 times)
SlingShot

« on: July 21, 2008, 03:51:32 am »

Hey guys, I picked up these gauges, and I don't know what cars they belong to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Will Race For Beer !!!
stealth67vw

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 04:11:14 am »

Part numbers and date stamps suggest very late type 3 gauges.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 04:24:01 am »

Hey guys, I picked up these gauges, and I don't know what cars they belong to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#2,3,4, are 70 and later type 3 #5 is a 411 24 Hour Clock #1 I have never seen one like that but it is for a type 3 maybe european

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 14:54:43 pm »

2,3,4 are late model type3 the speedo with additional tripmeter
5 is a type4 clock and it can indeed be a european model, more likely a model that was used in scandinavian countries to activate a realais to warm up the engine or activate a defroster. i have a similar one for a early (66-69) model type 3 and it has the same disc in the middle. never looked up how to use it, but it may activate the AC since you guys live in Arizona. should be nice to step in a precooled car.
tripmeter speedo and the type4 are pretty rare in my opinion. 
plasticblack

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 15:23:32 pm »

Yes the Type 4 clock has the 'timer set' mech.  This lets you set the Eberpacer (is that spelt right Huh) to come on at a pre-set time.

Usually on a cold winter morning, it comes on 5 minutes before you get in the car and it's warm and toasty.....

I worked for VW from the 70's and we had many (MANY) problems with this set up..

Usually the owner would go out to get in his car and find it a burnt out wreck on the driveway....

People never saw the need to service the stationary petrol heater.. until it was......Er Too Late Grin
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 18:37:59 pm by plasticblack » Logged
SlingShot

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:26:32 am »

Yes the Type 4 clock has the 'timer set' mech.  This lets you set the Eberpacer (is that spelt right Huh) to come on at a pre-set time.

Usually on a cold winter morning, it comes on 5 minutes before you get in the car and it's warm and toasty.....

I worked for VW from the 70's and we had many (MANY) problems with this set up..

Usually the owner would go out to get in his car and find it a burnt out wreck on the driveway....

People never saw the need to service the stationary petrol heater.. until it was......Er Too Late Grin

Cool! Sounds like a cool idea, maybe a little ahead of it's time. Almost sounds like it would make a good timer for a bomb.  Cheesy

Even though these are late model  gauges, are they worth much of anything?

Will Race For Beer !!!
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 08:01:41 am »

Cool! Sounds like a cool idea, maybe a little ahead of it's time. Almost sounds like it would make a good timer for a bomb.  Cheesy

Even though these are late model  gauges, are they worth much of anything?

trip meters are always wanted and the timer is rare, but put it on the samba and there are surely people looking for those to buy. i bought my early timer for 100 euros... haven't seen many afterwards and i have only seen two late models like yours afterwards.
tripmeters are more common, but more wanted as well, so i guess it will go for the same price

plasticblack

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 08:14:46 am »

These Gauges only fit the Type 4 and later '72 on Karmann Ghias.

These 'Stationary Petrol Heater' was only really an attractive option to new buyers in consistantly cold regions. Like Scandinavia, Rockies etc.

Lots of Canadian Campers have the additional petrol heaters for this reason.

I've had and sold several of these gauges over the years, but their appeal has only ever been limited. they are a less common sight these days at swapmeets.

It's a shame that these gauges don't fit beetles, because they are really cool looking..(anyone fancy trying to fit one??)

The 'Pre-Heating System' was very modern (remember this is the early 70's) and ahead of it's time. The additional cost for the new car buyer was resonably high in some markets and the option was never hugely popular.

The electrical system that controls this whole shabang certainly comes under the 'Black Arts' and nowadays is probably known only to Secret Societies and Freemasons Cheesy Cheesy   
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: