The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:48:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Is it just me...?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is it just me...?  (Read 4318 times)
gibber!

« on: July 24, 2008, 02:04:41 am »

I had hankered for a '67 for a long time and cut my teeth on numerous '70s cars.

I've had my '67 for about 8 years now, and carefully considered the style/colour/and basically everything else to do with it well before I started wrenching.... I had the final idea for a while and settled with it.
Whilst I believe that this is the best way- instead of going all 'gung ho' and possible regretting it in the future- I can't help but feel that I've not only lived with the '67 for 8 years but also the years before when I was brewing the final plan.
What I'm faced with now is the fact that I've come to realise over the 30 odd years I've been around, that I am indeed a creature of comfort, and to get rid of this car for another is completely out of the question....!

So my question is, would it be unreasonable to do another nut and bolt strip down of the car in pursuit of possible satisfaction....?

And, have any of you felt anything similar with your rides?

Or should I bid farewell to a good friend?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 02:07:25 am by gibber! » Logged

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 03:51:51 am »

Your avatar is RAD.....

Give her a new life and keep her around awhile longer. Buy another to drive during the rebuild if feasable but keep this old goat.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 05:37:25 am »

I've tried many times to change personality of my '67, and it works for awhile, keeping me satisfied, but then I get some spark of stupidity and rip the thing to shreds and build it a different way. Only in the last few four years have I just settled on having a fast driver and that's it.
Gibber, I really admire your car and the style (you know I am a fan of the early hot rods), and I hope you leave it as it is. Just my suggestion.

Have fun,
Jim
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:16:59 am »

Keep this one and build a new car (one for the street and one for the strip).
wolfswest

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:22:29 am »

What are your plans you are willing to do?

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Ivan

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:57:11 am »

If you sell anything - sell the Robinson BMX you've got - TO ME!  It'd have  a happy future with my Kuwahara KZ1, my Diamond Back Silver Streak and my Elf, Kuwahara and GT 24"s.

In all seriousness, I knew someone who had a similar '67 - he sold it.

Then a day or so later 'came out' as a homosexual.

Make of that what you will... I know I'm not selling my '67 - just in case I turn gay the next day!  Grin
gibber!

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:42:09 am »

Don't worry Ivan, I'm quite comfortable with my sexuality...!    Kiss
And as for the Robinson, which colour would you prefer, red or blue...?!    Wink 

With the '67, I had always planned on following the (historical) progression of the California Look, but I'm quite content in leaving it as an early Looker.
The plan is basically a change of colour and to remove the trim, I won't be going the Fuchs or BRM route, the steel wheels are definitely staying.

It's this picture that's causing the problem:

Maybe I should sit on this idea to see if it has longevity or not.... but should I add, I've had the nod from my girlfriend!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:53:05 am by gibber! » Logged

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
bugkeeper

oldskool n numetal

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:03:05 pm »

Funny I dont like that hood, but I had to mount one because of the Holley carb sticking out to far on my engine. Is it just me or do you guys like that old Empi deck lid?

Anyway I would keep her and give her a good life. I own my 66 since 22 years and it went through tons of mods over the years. I couldn't get rid of her, she is a family member.

Cheers Dom  Cool

If you think sex is a pain in the ass, try a diffrent position...

Beauty is only skin deep, and the world is full of thin skinned people.
Ivan

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:26:32 pm »

Don't worry Ivan, I'm quite comfortable with my sexuality...!    Kiss
And as for the Robinson, which colour would you prefer, red or blue...?!    Wink 

With the '67, I had always planned on following the (historical) progression of the California Look, but I'm quite content in leaving it as an early Looker.
The plan is basically a change of colour and to remove the trim, I won't be going the Fuchs or BRM route, the steel wheels are definitely staying.

It's this picture that's causing the problem:

Maybe I should sit on this idea to see if it has longevity or not.... but should I add, I've had the nod from my girlfriend!

Well, it shouldn't be a problem - that's not a '67. So while she's nodding go and buy a '63 or '64 and some chromies - homie!
Sarge

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 12:54:34 pm »

I'd say if you had no plans for another VW in your future and you want something different, then it's probably time to move on.  Life is short...best to do the things that you want to do most while your still able to.  If, on the other hand, there is still something inside that says "I REALLY love VW's", then I'd encourage you to just step back for awhile and reconsider.  When I sold my '63 long ago, I was totaly done with the VW scene...no more club meetings EVERY week, no more waiting in line at the drags, no more noisy close ratios, no more IDA's, the list goes on.  But it's a funny thing with VW's at least for me....it's hard as hell to turn your back on all those old times and friends.  As for Rick Winter's car, you couldn't have picked a better inspiration!  Hang in there.

DKP III
Ivan

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 14:22:33 pm »

no more club meetings EVERY week, no more waiting in line at the drags, no more noisy close ratios, no more IDA's, the list goes on. 

What happened? Where did you go? Were you here?

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Visitors/Facilities/CIM.html
Dave Galassi .

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 17:02:32 pm »

I'd say if you had no plans for another VW in your future and you want something different, then it's probably time to move on.  Life is short...best to do the things that you want to do most while your still able to.  If, on the other hand, there is still something inside that says "I REALLY love VW's", then I'd encourage you to just step back for awhile and reconsider.  When I sold my '63 long ago, I was totaly done with the VW scene...no more club meetings EVERY week, no more waiting in line at the drags, no more noisy close ratios, no more IDA's, the list goes on.  But it's a funny thing with VW's at least for me....it's hard as hell to turn your back on all those old times and friends.  As for Rick Winter's car, you couldn't have picked a better inspiration!  Hang in there.

Well put Sarge.  I, too, have always come back to the fold.  As far as building the car again Gibber, it sure is nice where it is now.  Like Uncle Jim, I really like early style cars.  Best of luck whatever you do.

gibber!

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 23:02:10 pm »

Thanks fellas for your advice, suggestions and tales...!

The situation at the minute is that the '67s MOT (yearly inspection) has just expired, even though I have no doubts what-so-ever that it will pass, it seems like the perfect opportunity to park it and start a re-model.
Add to this that fact that we are (fingers crossed) due some nicer weather over here it will make it ideal to do the work on the driveway and help whilst carrying out the re-spray, the only downside being that I won't be out enjoying the Summer in the Bug.

As I mentioned earlier, the changes aren't drastic but I do intend on a considerable power upgrade which will mean finishing off the rebuild of my 1500 plodder to use once the car is finished.

Without wanting to blow my own trumpet, I did carry out a full nut and bolt on it when I built it and this will only help should I decide to ahead.
I'll let you know if anything happens.... Oh and Sarge, no need to worry.... there's no intension of leaving the hobby, I'll probably see you and Jim (again) at Nicks in September only this time I might say 'hello'!

Thanks a lot!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 23:06:14 pm by gibber! » Logged

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Sarge

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 03:17:00 am »

no more club meetings EVERY week, no more waiting in line at the drags, no more noisy close ratios, no more IDA's, the list goes on. 

What happened? Where did you go? Were you here?

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Visitors/Facilities/CIM.html

Hahahahahaha....I see you did a background check on me Roll Eyes Grin

Oh and Sarge, no need to worry....I'll probably see you and Jim (again) at Nicks in September only this time I might say 'hello'!

Might??  Dude, you better say hi...I'll make sure Ratto takes a shower before you get here in September Roll Eyes Wink Grin

DKP III
nicolas

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 11:46:41 am »

maybe on topic or not at all. but i have a 66 fastback and it is a really cool car, but it won't ever by a fast car at the track. so my dilema is really solved in itself as i want to have a fast car on the track one day. BUT i am still thinking about modifying as much as possible to have a fast track car. and i slowly (that's me) start to feel this has no point really. i can have a real big scary engine and it will never be the SSB or even a bug with that combo. it will need a lot more. so i am stuck on the idea. lately i have come to think that the type3 will never leave the family (hopefully) and that it will be a fast, good and trusty streetcar. yeah it won't be fast as hell and as quick as i want it to be, but it will be great for what i will use it. and if i ever find the right car i will start again to make that car a shortgeared, snappy engined racecar that i more and more want. but i can see the issue with all that in that i won't have that car in a short while. and i guess it goes for you as well. it looks easier to alter the car that you have to make it into the very nice early DKP car, but it will leave a void for sure and not meet expectations like you have (if it were me at least). better start off fresh and make it the car you want and keep this one.
believe me i am waiting to have an engine in my car and i thought it wasn't a biggy as i was without car before, but it is. so keep this one and start collecting for the second one. this one is far to nice to start rebuilding it yet.

sorry for the rant.
Sarge

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 14:07:47 pm »

watch it there Mr. Dwell Meter...  Kiss

Uh-oh....busted Sad  Thorry!

DKP III
vulgaris
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 23:15:03 pm »

you could build the car red with brms like sarges car, his is my favorite, but I would put chrome back on
Sarge

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 03:46:48 am »

you could build the car red with brms like sarges car, his is my favorite, but I would put chrome back on

Your truck load of beer is on the way  Kiss

DKP III
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: