The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 19:44:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Dude’s 58 Ragtop Beetle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Dude’s 58 Ragtop Beetle  (Read 210916 times)
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2010, 01:07:33 am »

Right, at last it's time for a proper update!  Smiley

Last time I put any photos up the floor pan was just painted. However, over the last few month I been working on it really hard, and at last it's finally rolling! Smiley

Please note, this is not final finish, it is simply a trial fit to make sure everything fits/ works. I’m really glad I did this, as I’ve had to modify a number of parts!

At the front I fitted later disk brakes drilled to Porsche pattern, and have up rated the callipers to Talbot horizon units. Shock are KYB Gas adjust standard length, as drop spindles have been fitted to get the 4" narrowed beam into the weeds. Also note the welded on nut on the tie rod, to make tracking adjustment easier.

The fuel line has been run through the middle of the chassis, and here you can see it going into the specially modified cover plate. -6AN fittings, and braided hose have been used throughout. All fitting are either stealth black or blue to match with the colour scheme of the car.

Here you can see the fuel system and brake system hidden away in front of the bulkhead under the inner arches.

A duel circuit master cylinder is fitted as well as a Hurst line lock. Yes, I have polished all the brake lines!!

And here’s the fuel system fitted which I’ve talked about before.

Here’s the pedal assembly all detailed and fitted up. The assembly has been modified to accept a later style spring. Also the weak S bracket connecting the pedal to the accelerator rod has been replaced by rose joints for a much more precise action.

Another shot of the polished brake lines!  I know they’ll never be seen, but I used anodised clips where the brake line runs along the tunnel anyway!

Here’s the tunnel inspection plate. This has been modified to take 3 stainless button screw, just cause I like how it looked!

And here’s the back end!

As pictured previously a BERG mid mount has been fitted.

Here you can see where the fuel line exits the tunnel. This was a proper pain as I had to remove the beam and gearbox again to get it in! Cheers for the help with this Stretch! Smiley

One thing I never liked on early cars was the bracket which was bent around the axle tube to secure the brake pipe. It just meant that any paint you put on it would crack and peel on install. Therefore I adapted the original to mount in two halves, as well as secure both the brake line, and handbrake cable out the way of the rear shocks.

Here is the rear brakes. CB disks have been fitted. These were originally blank but have again been drilled to Porsche pattern. Oh, and more polished brake lines!

And finally a shot of a happy me! Smiley

Anyway that where I’m up to now! Hope you like it! Smiley

Dude  Cool

roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2010, 10:39:23 am »

very nice work!

Glitter don't make you faster.
Jesus

« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2010, 11:10:19 am »

Looking ace fella Grin

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
taffy apple

« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2010, 13:26:04 pm »

keep up the good work dude. Cool
sparkieben

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2010, 16:27:52 pm »

hi dude looking good ive sent you a pm cheers ben
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2010, 00:28:44 am »

hi dude looking good ive sent you a pm cheers ben

Hi Ben,

PM read and replies to!

Thank you very much for the info, i genuinelly hadnt noticed, but I'm very glad you pointed it out.  Smiley

Cheer,

Dude  Cool

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2010, 01:11:13 am »

Nice work dude  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Dereck

« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2010, 21:23:57 pm »

What cool thread and a cool Bug too

Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/vondirk
Follow the progress of my Project '66: http://wackyracers.posterous.com/
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2010, 02:12:53 am »

At last a real landmark moment, and what feels like a real turning point for the car! I’ve finally got the ragtop in! Smiley

As usually it was not straight forward, and although only a partial picture, you can see how bad the ragtop fabric and the mechanism was to begin with. Roll Eyes

Here’s the rear bow section which only had two mounted studs left on it, as well as the end being partially rotted away. Sad

However this was soon repaired! Smiley

A few other bits of brackets broken and fixed.

All mechanical parts got a repaint. Smiley

And the guide rails got a polish! Yes I know not 100% perfect, but this is only a trial build, and my arms nearly fell off getting them to this point!

Rails installed in the car.

And the ragtop section built back up. At this point I got to say a massive thank you to Dayne at Touch of Class who made me up a ‘temporary’ top. He did an amazing job! Smiley

The actual ragtop will be done in mohair, but this temporary cover is just to make sure all the mechanisms work, and keep the water out the pan where my garage roof leak thanks to the shit*y wet weather in the UK!

And the ragtop installed! Smiley Please note, yes I know the edges are lipped up. I haven’t put the side tension straps in, as I couldn’t get the special rivets I needed to do so. This will be sorted out soon!

And the inside, showing the rebuilt mechanism.

And here’s the ragtop open, the most important bit of having a ragtop! Smiley

Anyway finally some progress worth showing! I’m so happy to have got this in! It’s finally a proper ragtop! Smiley

Dude Cool

smurf67

« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2010, 14:08:51 pm »

looking really good love the little details on this car. Awesome work
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2010, 15:12:41 pm »

Cheers Smurf67,

Really appreciated! Smiley Especially as I am loosing a bit of motivation on it at the moment.  Sad

I just never seem to get much time to actaully work on it, nothing ever just fits up, and added to that the arctic like weather, it hard to keep motivated.

Hopefully get something more done this weekenend. Smiley

Dude  Cool

smurf67

« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2010, 17:28:24 pm »

keep the faith will be a top car when its finished. I know what you mean though my car is in a state of disrepair and getting worse the more we look into it  Roll Eyes more than a little disheartening but you have done a top job and needs to be seen to the finish, and I look forward to some updates soon Alex
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2010, 09:02:54 am »

AWESOME dude!

taffy apple

« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2010, 11:58:18 am »

keep up the good work dude, i have a electric heater in the attic, if you want it for your garage mate.
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2010, 12:45:43 pm »

Thanks all for the word of encouragment.  Smiley

Went to see my mate Stretch last night, and after numerous cups of tea and chatting about vw I was actually feeling quite motivated!

However, got home and thought i would try and fit a few things up. Found out that the steering column rubber donut does not work with the neimann acceesory steering lock, and then I could not find any rubber the right thickness to make one, and yet again enthusiam disappeared! Isnt anything just going to bolt up?!  Roll Eyes

I only wanted to trail fit it to see if i actually wanted to use it!  Roll Eyes

Hi Graham! Cheers for the offer of the heater dude, but me garage has a tin roof. Any heat in there, even body heat, end up in me being rained on with condensation!  Angry

Hows your motor coming on?

Dude  Cool

Jesus

« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2010, 15:36:03 pm »

Keep at it Fella, Looking Great Cheesy

Perseverance is the key! Grin

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2010, 15:39:54 pm »

Keep at it Fella, Looking Great Cheesy

Perseverance is the key! Grin

Cheers mate, hope alls good. Smiley

'Key' is the 'key' word at the moment! Trying to work out wether i wanna put the ignition key at the stock location in the dash, or on on a period accessory neihmann steering lock!  Grin

Opinion much appreciated, but remember trying to keep it cal look, not limp resto call!  Grin

Dude  Cool

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2010, 18:12:06 pm »

If you're adding something unnecessary to the cars performance AND its hindering the build I would bin it! Well... maybe Ebay it  Cheesy

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2010, 18:26:28 pm »

If you're adding something unnecessary to the cars performance AND its hindering the build I would bin it! Well... maybe Ebay it  Cheesy

Sadly I've oversived drilled the standard ignition barrel hole on the dash to acept a cigar lighter socket (not as bad looking as it sounds!).  Roll Eyes
I i handt i would go back to stock due to the hassle i had with this!  Roll Eyes

Dude  Cool

Jesus

« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2010, 23:07:43 pm »

easily solved by having a push start button tucked up under the dash and a battery cut off switch key you take with you to imobilise it  Wink

Cal Look to me is about clean lines and less fuss Grin

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2010, 01:35:25 am »

Right decision made. Fitted the steering lock up tonight, and sadly although its close, it don't fit.  Sad

Thus looks like i'm going back to stock. Cool as it a cleaner look, but a shit as i'd oversived drilled the ignition barrel hole. Time to get the welder out again!  Roll Eyes

Gonna loose a few other bits on the dash in the cause of a cleaner cal look as well, such as the genuine empi glove box pull, and the radio!  Smiley

Dude  Cool

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2010, 02:40:12 am »

Right decision made. Fitted the steering lock up tonight, and sadly although its close, it don't fit.  Sad

Thus looks like i'm going back to stock. Cool as it a cleaner look, but a shit as i'd oversived drilled the ignition barrel hole. Time to get the welder out again!  Roll Eyes

Gonna loose a few other bits on the dash in the cause of a cleaner cal look as well, such as the genuine empi glove box pull, and the radio!  Smiley

Dude  Cool
What Dose not Fit??? here is the Rubber piece you need??  http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1062933

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2010, 03:27:19 am »

Cheers Shubee2,

That columns actually a later column though. Wouldnt work with my 58. Piece of rubber would probably be ok.= though.

Lock dont fit as when you bolt the housing up under the dash, one side goes flush to the steel, whereas on ther other side theres a 2-3mm gap.
I dont think you'd have this problem with a LHD car.

Dude  Cool

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2011, 14:09:54 pm »

Right, a good friend of mine has been reminding me I should really update this thread so here goes. Smiley

Well it’s clear the body’s back on from the ragtop photos, but here are some better shots of it on.

I thought I’d try and make it a look a bit nicer, as well as try and stop the dreaded rust, so I replaced the body mounts and bolts with stainless steel items.

The interior has also started to go back in. Check out the MSD system hid under the rear seat.

Although I’m still having some issues with, the brake fluid master cylinder and all connections are installed. Also note the polished ID tag and ‘Made in German’ badge!

I have also started to fit the electrics back in. The dash is starting to go back together. Note the mini shift light fitted on the column! Smiley

Here is the fuel pump power switch hidden as an ash tray knob.

And finally here is the control box I am currently in the middle of building which will give me flashing rear snowflake lights, used as indicators, as well as flashing semaphores. All will be hidden away in the box under the dash. A big thank you to Larry for Retro Custom, who was a genius when it came to the wiring for this. I know it’s been a while since you sent it, but I haven’t forgot you buddy! Wink

So that where up to at the moment. Hopefully once I get my garage back, as were having a conservatory fitted, I can crack on with it!!

Dude Cool

thejohn66

« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2011, 09:40:45 am »

looking good, like the rose joint mod on the throttle pedal, may well do something similar to mine at some stage Wink

Bitburg motor boating club member.
Jesus

« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2011, 23:04:45 pm »

Looking good fella!

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2011, 04:13:54 am »

Top end trial fitting of tinwear, and ancillaries coming along nicely.  Smiley Big thanks to Stretch for his help! Smiley

DDS and Race Trim parts are on too!!  Cool
I like purple!!  Cool

Just got to decide now, DDS twist linkage, or BERG linkage with the 48IDA's?!?!  Smiley

Dude  Cool
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:20:28 am by Deanodynosaurs » Logged

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2011, 10:46:41 am »

I've actually made quite a bit of progress on the car recently, but I thought I’d just chuck up a quick update on a important bit of it, the motor!  Smiley

Ancillaries build up is finally all finished. Took a long while as a lot of parts had to be adjusted, or modified. For example, due to the DDS manifolds turning the carbs around 180 degrees and the arms open outwards, I ended up having to make linkage arms to make it all work. I'm pleased with it though as it looks very similar to the linkage set up’s used of early DKP cars.

I did also have a DDS linkage, but I just couldn’t get it to work with the MSD dizzy as it caught on this.  Angry

Anyway I’m really pleased with it, as although it not a fully correct cal look vintage performance motor, I do think it has a reasonable look of one. Smiley

Hopes you all approve. Smiley

Dude  Cool

Christofe

« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2011, 21:20:47 pm »

Vert Nice work dude !!!
taffy apple

« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2011, 11:37:37 am »

Nice work dude now lets see the pics of the engine in the car Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: