The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 23:14:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Dude’s 58 Ragtop Beetle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Print
Author Topic: Dude’s 58 Ragtop Beetle  (Read 210923 times)
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #300 on: February 20, 2015, 12:16:34 pm »

The first problem he encountered was with fitting the headlining. For some reason, maybe another 58 quirk, or maybe due to the car being a hard top, but the lip above the rear window was facing the wrong way?! This meant that Chris could not simply catch the headlining behind the lip and tension it up. However after a bit of head scratching Chris came up with the solution of mounting the headlining to some fibreboard, this has the added bonus of being easily removable if the ragtop needs tightening up. Smiley

That's how they should be on early bugs Neil. There is still a return lip on the inside. But you've sorted it anyway Smiley

Before you jump, check the depth.
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #301 on: February 20, 2015, 13:13:28 pm »

The first problem he encountered was with fitting the headlining. For some reason, maybe another 58 quirk, or maybe due to the car being a hard top, but the lip above the rear window was facing the wrong way?! This meant that Chris could not simply catch the headlining behind the lip and tension it up. However after a bit of head scratching Chris came up with the solution of mounting the headlining to some fibreboard, this has the added bonus of being easily removable if the ragtop needs tightening up. Smiley

That's how they should be on early bugs Neil. There is still a return lip on the inside. But you've sorted it anyway Smiley

Hi Berny,

It's good to know I’m ‘normal’ (well my car at least!). I know Chris did look inside the rear of this with his inspection camera thing, and I think he said it didn’t have a return lip?! But I haven’t modified it at all?

Ah well, as you say it’s done now. Smiley On to the next problem!! Cheesy

Dude  Cool

vwhelmot

« Reply #302 on: February 20, 2015, 17:10:35 pm »

Looking lovely dude, first class. Exciting stuff.
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #303 on: March 29, 2015, 09:18:15 am »

Going to the volksworld show today ?

Check out Dude's car, pretty much the first car as you walk in to main show hall

Dude you nailed it  Cool

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #304 on: March 29, 2015, 11:04:44 am »

The interior is the best at the show. Makes a change from some stitched leather.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Rich_h

« Reply #305 on: March 29, 2015, 11:26:01 am »

Had a good look over the 58 at volksworld then twigged it was yours looking & the belt brace

Dude your bug is just spot on all that need to be said Wink
leec

« Reply #306 on: March 29, 2015, 11:33:15 am »

Had a good look over the 58 at volksworld then twigged it was yours looking & the belt brace

Dude your bug is just spot on all that need to be said Wink

Agree 100%. Loved the way it sat, stance was spot on and a great looking car. Well done.
Lee
Neil Davies

« Reply #307 on: March 29, 2015, 18:13:55 pm »

I know I'm biased cos he's a good mate, but if it didn't top 20, there's something wrong with the world! I'd tie it for best in show with the tube framed turbo notch downstairs. Love it.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
broen messiaen

« Reply #308 on: March 29, 2015, 19:11:56 pm »

saw it yesterday, super nice car.
was the best car on the show for me

congratz on your best of show!
leec

« Reply #309 on: March 29, 2015, 20:04:21 pm »

I know I'm biased cos he's a good mate, but if it didn't top 20, there's something wrong with the world! I'd tie it for best in show with the tube framed turbo notch downstairs. Love it.

Too right Smiley
Buggirl (original)

« Reply #310 on: March 30, 2015, 06:26:26 am »

Congrats on Volksworld best of show, car looked amazing!  An inspiration for me!
54Kab

Steve Mortimer

« Reply #311 on: March 30, 2015, 09:47:20 am »

- very, very nice. I kept coming back to your car. Absolutely love it. Congratulations. 

Cool

---------------------------------------------------------

'Super Sano Street cars' for me, thank you
butterskotch

« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2015, 13:25:44 pm »

Dude,

Your car is awesome. The quality of the work done by either you, Steveo & Nick or anyone else involved is top notch.
Easily one of the best cars at the show, even if my opinion is a little biased.

Sorry I didn't get chance to meet you in person yesterday, will have to meet up at the cal-look drag day or another show soon.

Take it easily,
Brad
Fritte

2044 48IDA

« Reply #313 on: April 04, 2015, 19:00:47 pm »

A big inspiration Smiley
Awesome car. The best restoration on the lounge in my eyes. Cool

12.63-174kmt @ SCC 2012. JPM Dyno: 173hk @ 7000rpm. 209Nm
oppdatere til å bruke
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #314 on: April 22, 2015, 08:33:18 am »

Hi All,

Thank you all for your kind word, they really are appreciated, and I’m glad you like the car. Smiley Was great to see many of you at the Volksworld Show. Smiley

Well this update has been a long time in coming, but quite a bit has happened!! Firstly after a massive push, and a lot of hard work, the car is finished! Smiley I cannot that Nick and Stevo from Double H Restorations enough, I wouldn’t have got the car finished to such a high standard without your help. Smiley

Secondly, as many of you know, we took the car to the Volksworld Show. It was amazing to just be allowed to take the car there, but even more amazing that the organiser decided to put it by the front entrance. Smiley Had an awesome weekend at the show, and so many nice comments about the car from both friends and people I had never meet before. However I was blown away when I actually won Best of Show. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Anyway enough talk here’s the finished car. Smiley

Me and Nick from Double H Restorations (Thats Nick’s happy face! Tongue)

To add to the amazing weekend I had at the Volksworld Show, I also got to meet one of my hero’s, Ron Fleming! Ron is widely credited for being one of the creators of the Cal Look, and to get the seal of approval from him was the icing on the cake. Smiley

Well I had to get him to sign the glove box didn’t I! Cheesy

So that’s it the finished car. Smiley (Well there never finished, but its together at least!). Next step is to get it to the race track. Smiley

The car didn’t just suddenly get finished, and there was plently in between so I'll come back later and finish the build thread for those that are interested.

Dude Cool

VWGlassee

« Reply #315 on: April 22, 2015, 12:01:55 pm »

Your car looks stunning dude! Beautiful build  Cool

Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, & Hold On
puz79

« Reply #316 on: April 23, 2015, 18:02:34 pm »

Dude, that car looks better every time I see it!

The signed glovebox is cool as hell too  Grin
GASBNR

« Reply #317 on: April 24, 2015, 09:20:17 am »

GREAT,
dream car Cool

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
pWolf

« Reply #318 on: April 25, 2015, 18:05:58 pm »

Great car!  And the work you have done are perfect . Kudos
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 18:09:43 pm by pWolf » Logged

56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #319 on: April 25, 2015, 23:19:03 pm »

Hi Berny,

It's good to know I’m ‘normal’ (well my car at least!). I know Chris did look inside the rear of this with his inspection camera thing, and I think he said it didn’t have a return lip?! But I haven’t modified it at all?

Ah well, as you say it’s done now. Smiley On to the next problem!! Cheesy

Dude  Cool

Hey Neil, Ya got me wondering about it, so I checked for the return lip on my roof . . . Bernard is correct! There is a means to catch the headliner in there, but it is just five tabs and not a full lip. One of the tabs is in your photo where you see the two spot-welds.
Now you know . . . for future reference!  Wink

Also . . . your car looks AWESOME!!!!!!  Cool

Jesucristo es mi Señor y Salvador!
QT VW

« Reply #320 on: August 10, 2015, 18:51:01 pm »

AWESOME WORK JUST READ YOUR POST FROM START TO FINISH .CAR LOOK'S HOT  REALLY WELL DOCUMENTED AND FULL OF INFO , A DESERVED PRIZE , YOU MUST BE TRUELY STOKED . GOOD LUCK AT THE TRACK . INSPIRE'S ME TO FINISH MINE .
CHEER'S HARRY NEW ZEALAND
Käferhauptquartier

http://kaeferhauptquartier.blogspot.de/

« Reply #321 on: August 11, 2015, 06:38:04 am »

Awesome Car ! Very nice detailing ! Do you know how many hours you spent on the car ?

Cheers Ben

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #322 on: August 11, 2015, 10:09:05 am »

AWESOME WORK JUST READ YOUR POST FROM START TO FINISH .CAR LOOK'S HOT  REALLY WELL DOCUMENTED AND FULL OF INFO , A DESERVED PRIZE , YOU MUST BE TRUELY STOKED . GOOD LUCK AT THE TRACK . INSPIRE'S ME TO FINISH MINE .
CHEER'S HARRY NEW ZEALAND

Thank you Harry Smiley

Glad you enjoyed the thread, I almost feel bad about all the hours it must have taken to read it!!  Grin

Cant wait to race it now, racing in two weeks time at VW Action. Smiley

Get yours done. Smiley

Dude  Cool

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #323 on: August 11, 2015, 10:11:03 am »

Awesome Car ! Very nice detailing ! Do you know how many hours you spent on the car ?

Cheers Ben

Cheers Dude. Smiley

As for hours, it took me 7 years (ish) in total. They weren't all full days, but there was a lot of weekends and evening in there. I would even like to guess how many hours is in it!!  Shocked

Dude  Cool

Käferhauptquartier

http://kaeferhauptquartier.blogspot.de/

« Reply #324 on: August 11, 2015, 11:12:30 am »

7 years ? Holy Sh.. Shocked
I got mine finished in 2,5 years and this was almost enough for me and my patience.But how did you said ? A car is never finished Grin

Hope to see it anytime for real on a show or on the strip.

absolute respect for your work !!

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #325 on: November 24, 2015, 15:22:22 pm »

Just realised I haven’t done an update in a long time!! Maybe that's a good thing for you guys!! Cheesy

Following the Volksworld show I was delighted to be invited to have the Car featured in Volksworld Magazine. Smiley Although it took a while to organise due to certain things we finally did the photoshoot in an abandoned warehouse in Weston-Super-Mare in August. Thank you to Jon from Thru-A-Lupe Photographic for a massively enjoyable photoshoot and for taking some great photos. Smiley

Well 3 months later and the feature has finally come out in!! Not only did I get the December issue, but I also got the front cover!! Smiley

To say I am pleased with the feature is a massive understatement! I am over the moon happy with it! It's amazing! Smiley Thank you again to Jon from the amazing photos and Mike Pye for doing such a great write up.

Now the car was always built to be raced therefore it was great to finally get it on the strip at Santa Pod at VW Action in August. Straight off the trailer on the Saturday I was running 14.4's, and managed to run these times pretty much consistently all day. However at the end of the day I discovered that the car had only been running on half throttle all day. :-s

Although it was bloody expensive I decided to enter the car for Sundays Peak Performance session, and I’m pleased I did as I ran a 13.6 at 96mph! Not only was I over the moon with the time, but it also meant that I had also final ran the times for entry into the club that I had been aiming to get into for years, The Der Kafer Rennfahrer (DKR) VW Drag Racing Club (Cars must run sub 15's). The throttle is still not full adjusted so hopefully there are quicker times to come. Smiley

Grinning like a loon. Does it show I’m pleased to be back in the driving seat!!

Finally got my DKR Stickers! Smiley

After running a PB in the strip I thought my weekend couldn’t get any better. However, the typical British weather was showing signs of setting in, with rain looking imminent, so I thought I might as well enter the car into the show and shine. In typical ‘Dude’ style I nearly miss the cut off time for entry!

It was great to have the car in show and shine as there were some great car there. It was also nice to have a bit of a rest after a busy racing weekend! When they announced that the car had won the prestigious award of 'The most Beautiful VW in Europe' I was ecstatically happy, and still can’t quite believe it! Thank you so so much!! Smiley

Yes I look awful!! And again I’m smiling like a loon!

So honoured to get this trophy. Smiley

Racing at Pod I noticed a few small issues with the car (Not bad considering it had never been driven in anger before!).

Firstly I noticed that the car was squatting too much, even to the extent that it was scuffing the sump nuts! Now I know the best way to solve this would be to upgrade the torsion bars. However, the car is a street car, so I wasn't keen on making it to firm. Thus I decided to fit some 13 point protect adjustable shocks. These can be set at rock hard for the track, and turned down for on the street. They also look great!! I will keep you informed on how well these all work out.

Another small issue I had been meaning to fix for ages was the throttle cable routing where it comes out of the tunnel. Even as standard (see below) on a pre 67 car the throttle cables do not run through any tube. Add in a later gearbox, it actually runs on the case. I’ve even seen it cut into gearbox cases!

Anyway here’s my solution.

Simply because I had access to some scales, I decided to weigh the car. Was very happy with the weight as it only 816.5kg overall (1800lbs exactly!) and has pretty much perfect 50:50 Left to right balance, and a nice 60:40 front to back weight. Smiley

One final thing I have been wanting to do for ages, but have never seemed to get around to it, was to fit the personalised shifter handle which I had got in the states from Bergs during a once in a lifetime trip. Well after some issues with the line lock button, I finally got the excuse I needed to fitting it, my ‘Dudes Beetle’ shifter handle!! Cheesy

This year has been an amazing year. Not only did I get to take the car to the Volksworld Show and VW Action, as well as running some respectable times at the dragstrip, but I also got to take the car to the NEC Classic Motor Show where I was invited to display it on the Meguiars Showcase Stand.

For those that have never been to the show, it is a truly amazing show, where you can find any make or model of classic car you can think of, from priceless racecars to ‘back to the future’ Delorian’s.
There was even a copy of John Lennon’s Rolls Royce!

Here’s my car next to a stunning Capri. Smiley

I got a really nice set of engraved glasses for attending the show.

And here's the car that won the Meguires Showcase Stand Concourse competition. Not only was the car stunning, but the standard of detailing was amazing! A well and truly deserved win. Smiley

And a random selection of the other cars that were on display throughout the show.

So that it, a update, I hope your still awake!! Cheesy

Dude  Cool

leec

« Reply #326 on: November 24, 2015, 15:56:15 pm »

Great update Dude. Good to see you are enjoying all your hard work Smiley
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #327 on: November 24, 2015, 16:01:14 pm »

Great update Dude. Good to see you are enjoying all your hard work Smiley

Planning on enjoying it more next year!! More track time, less static time. Smiley

I'd love to squeeze a 12 out of it, but would be very happy with low 13's! Smiley

Dude  Cool

leec

« Reply #328 on: November 24, 2015, 16:07:14 pm »

I think a 12 is more than possible. I would be interested in how you find the rear shocks perform. They seem good value for money. I love my koni reds but they are so bloody expensive now Sad
Lee
GASBNR

« Reply #329 on: November 25, 2015, 09:07:34 am »

Great stuff. Well done. Built to drive. Love it.  Cool

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: