The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 20:08:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  JAYCEE / RLR billet front disk brakes....Tech advise needed please
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: JAYCEE / RLR billet front disk brakes....Tech advise needed please  (Read 6371 times)
Adele AW

« on: July 27, 2008, 15:17:50 pm »

Hello,

Ive just been putting together the front end so we can get the car rolling and off for the cage Smiley The brakes i have are JAYCEE / RLR billet front disk brakes. I noticed a few things i want to check out with anyone that may know:

On the Brake From Front to Rear is:

Nut- Bearing Cover- Bearing- Hub- Bearing- Dust Seal
-  I have just just put the brake on the spindle and it all feels nice and snug and spins freely with no play. However just to make sure i have not missed anything if anyone can see anything amiss from the pics below ? The is like a another piece on the spindle that has an indentation on it, its something that can come off however i think its needs to be on there, its what the rear bearing and seal pushes up to ? (Sorry for the no techie terms) ( Its the bit that is in the black square on pic 2)

Big Thanks in advance.

Adele
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 15:29:01 pm by Adele AW » Logged

O/FF 621
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 17:57:11 pm »

However just to make sure i have not missed anything if anyone can see anything amiss from the pics below.

Yes there is a woman doing a man's job. Shocked

OK can someone get my jacket and call a taxi now i need to get out of here. Cheesy Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
leec

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 13:37:19 pm »

However just to make sure i have not missed anything if anyone can see anything amiss from the pics below.

OK can someone get my jacket and call a taxi now i need to get out of here. Cheesy Grin

Oh dear Martin, you're going to be in trouble now Grin

Adele, im not sure the bit in the black rectangle can be removed, i wondered this when i rebuilt my brakes.
richie

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 16:55:20 pm »

That looks like what the seal rides on

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Adele AW

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 17:59:56 pm »

That looks like what the seal rides on

cheers richie

I think it is, well hope so, they fell all snug when its all bolted together, Thanks Smiley

Oh dear Martin, you're going to be in trouble now Grin

Adele, im not sure the bit in the black rectangle can be removed, i wondered this when i rebuilt my brakes.

Lee, if i read correctly in the Bentley manual that this piece can be removed, When you buy new spindles it does not come with them on either ( again, not 100% but i think! )
 Smiley

Im doing the job better than you ever could  Wink  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 18:03:18 pm by Adele AW » Logged

O/FF 621
Mike Lawless

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 20:44:45 pm »

That piece is not only for the seal to ride on, but also as a facing for the wheel bearing to fit up to. If you remove it, you'll notice a generous radius at the spindle base. This radius increases the strength of that intersection. A square intersection would create a fracture point. Hit a pot hole hard enough, and it snap right off there.

However, if you were to bottom the bearing all the way up WITHOUT the spacer, you will see it will not fully seat. The spacer provides a square seating surface.

There's a similar piece for the rear wheel bearings.

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Adele AW

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 22:19:15 pm »

That piece is not only for the seal to ride on, but also as a facing for the wheel bearing to fit up to. If you remove it, you'll notice a generous radius at the spindle base. This radius increases the strength of that intersection. A square intersection would create a fracture point. Hit a pot hole hard enough, and it snap right off there.

However, if you were to bottom the bearing all the way up WITHOUT the spacer, you will see it will not fully seat. The spacer provides a square seating surface.

There's a similar piece for the rear wheel bearings.

Understood, Thanks Smiley

Adele

O/FF 621
SteveW

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 06:47:09 am »

Last night i thought i'd fit the caliper mounting brackets just to see how it all fits, I seem to have a problem! The caliper mounting bracket sits far too close to the disk, I mailed Jack last night and he says there should be 2.5mm clearence (or at least the set-up he has at the shop has). The spindles I have are the original ones from my '59 but I will be using dropped spindles when its properly built. Not sure if I've missed something??!!

Steve

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
tikimadness

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 11:33:48 am »

It is hard to see in the picture but it looks to me that the bracket isn't straight.It looks like it has ben bent a little.

michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Mike Lawless

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 18:40:43 pm »

Is the spacer installed under the inner bearing?

2002-2003 DRKC Champion
SteveW

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 19:41:08 pm »

Hi Mike

The spacer, Adele mentioned above? Yes it is, the grease seal is then sitting on that spacer and the bearings sit in there own races in the hub. After speaking to Bernie today he thinks there are different width spacers available (from different year spindles) and so could potentially push the disk/hub out a couple mm giving clearence for the caliper bracket..

I think the bracket will have to be completely changed when I fit dropped spindles as the caliper might hit the tie rod?!!

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Mike Lawless

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 20:09:47 pm »

I built my own and the caliper is at the 3 or 9 o'clock positions and is REALLY close to the tie rod end. The caliper is closer to the steering arm and I had to shave a little off for clearance.

Have you fit the caliper yet to check that?

I would suggest having a spacer made from steel tube at the exact width you need to space the hub out that would fit over the existing spacer. Perhaps to the 2.5mm required? Might be easier that trying to track down the stock stuff
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 20:14:02 pm by Mike Lawless » Logged

2002-2003 DRKC Champion
SteveW

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 22:45:55 pm »

Yeah that is a good idea actually, much easier to do than find a correct width vw spacer! I haven't checked the caliper yet but until I have the dropped spindles fitted I suppose there isn't much point as I'm sure they will change everything!! At least I'm not doing anything wrong which was my main concern initially!!

I trial fitted up the rears tonight too out of curiosity and I had to space the hub out with a 2nd bearing spacer so the hub would sit flush with the start of the stub axle / hub net thread!

Thanks for your help  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 22:47:37 pm by SteveW » Logged

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
SteveW

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 15:11:03 pm »

I'm just mocking up the hubs to my dropped spindles at the moment and I'm guessing that this spacer in the picture below needs to be fitted to the new spindles? How do I remove it from the old spindle??

Thanks
Steve

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
WhiteTrash

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 15:24:05 pm »

Steve,

I think they are actually a press on fit and a total bitch to get off. Try gently heating them and use a two or three arm claw puller.
If they get damaged, sling them in the bin and have some new ones made as the oilseal in the back of the disc/drum which keeps the bearing grease in runs on them and they need to be smooth or you rip the seal.

Frank

HOFF#67

Lotus White '67's are the best!!!
SteveW

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 20:41:32 pm »

Thanks Frank, I already tried heating it but it wouldn't budge! I thought about having some made by Martin (Taylor) but I don't the size i'd need! It doesn't seem to be a part you can buy either!

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
WhiteTrash

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 21:21:47 pm »

If you've got an oil seal for the back of the new disc, get one made a snatch bigger and interferense fit to the stub. I'm sure Martin can work something out.

HOFF#67

nicolas

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 15:04:39 pm »

this can NOT disturb a man that is widely and acceptetly know as 'the knob' can it?

Grin
SteveW

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 15:37:32 pm »

Thanks Frank, I already tried heating it but it wouldn't budge!

I just spoke to one of my mates and he just laughed at me as he said I wasn't heating it I was 'warming' it! I was trying it with a blow torch but he reckons but need to heat it with oxy acetylene! That's how he removed them on his..
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 15:52:10 pm by SteveW » Logged

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
WhiteTrash

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 15:47:12 pm »

Thanks Frank, I already tried heating it but it wouldn't budge!

I just spoke to one of my mates and he just laughed at me as he said I was heating it I was 'warming' it! I was trying it with a blow torch but he reckons but need to heat it with oxy acetylene! That's how he removed them on his..

I'll join you mate for a good laugh then.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Yes i was refering to using oxy acetylene when i mentioned heating it. It's one of my favorite tools apart from hammer and crow bar.... Grin Grin Grin

HOFF#67

SteveW

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 15:53:02 pm »

Doh!! So now I gotta find someone local with oxy acetylene!

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: