The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:56:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Where do you guys set your oil level?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Where do you guys set your oil level?  (Read 4055 times)
Sam K

« on: July 29, 2008, 00:35:18 am »

I've heard a few different opinions on where to set your oil level with a deep sump. I have a berg 3.5 quart sump and I have always set it a the upper line on the dipstick. It always seems to leak a litle from between the sump and the case. A couple of people have told me to set it at the lower line, but that seems to defeat the purpose of having a deep sump a little bit. What's a fella to do?
Casey

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:02:18 am »

I run at the lower line now. All is well now.

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:06:17 am »

I've always run between the lines. Engines seem to find there own optimal level I've noticed.

I also park at Nick's.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 06:14:10 am »

I run mine a little below the top line.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Roman

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 16:17:49 pm »

On a race engine I just below the lower line. It doesn't defeat the purpose of the deep sump, you still have a lot more oil than stock.
I have personally seen a HP increase on the dyno of 15 hp on a 250 hp normally aspirated engine when he went from 5 mm over the upper line to 5 mm under lower line.
If you have a high level the crank dips into the oil so it gets foamed and the oil flow/pressure actually gets lower on high RPM's.
I have heard people say that a lower oil level will make a cam go flat due to not eough oiling, but in that case why does a dry sump engine work?
The throw off from the crank is more than enough.

On a stock engine I have it somwhere between the lines, it is not so important if you don't rev much.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 18:33:47 pm »

I've always run between the lines.
Have you ever tried running across the tracks?

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Airspeed

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 18:50:18 pm »

I have personally seen a HP increase on the dyno of 15 hp on a 250 hp normally aspirated engine when he went from 5 mm over the upper line to 5 mm under lower line.

Imagine what a dry-sumped engine can gain!  Shocked

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 00:30:24 am »

I've always run between the lines.
Have you ever tried running across the tracks?
                                                                Only if the train is going slower than 50.

I also park at Nick's.
black_bullitt

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 14:51:49 pm »

I asked John Maher the same question when I first fitted my berg sump, he said fill to the bottom line of the dipstick and I've had no problems with loss of oil pressure when booting it  Grin or hard cornering.
DWL_Puavo

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 11:48:54 am »

On our track race car we usually fill it up near to top line - not over it but not substantially lower. When it reaches the bottom line, we've had few cases that engine losses its oil pressure on track when first driving long corners and then straightening the car after a "small drifting". (it doesn't leak between engine block and sump, but it had to be installed with some loctite sealer, with only the paper gasket it leaked a bit - mexico case seems not to be milled as flat as gb sump)

We have CB 82 crankshaft, GB 2qt sump, schadek 30mm oil pump, fullflow, hacked up windage tray to clear cam lobes. Engine has 4 breather attachments on valve covers, oil filling tower and on gas pump block-off plate. We haven't discovered any power loss or gain according to oil level, but haven't dynoed the difference either.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:52:14 am by DWL_Puavo » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: