The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 16:32:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Welded fans... Check this.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Welded fans... Check this.  (Read 5130 times)
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« on: August 11, 2008, 20:22:49 pm »

http://www.cal-look.com/forum/index.php?topic=27324

Hmm, interesting discussion.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 20:40:17 pm »

I had Jeff Denham weld up a good German fan for me almost 20 years ago. I set my belt up to slip just to be safe so I don't have to post scary pictures...Knock on wood.

I also park at Nick's.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 20:44:31 pm »

Wow, that will make you think won't it.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Sam K

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 00:35:33 am »

I watched a friend ruin a really nice Thing fanshroud a few years ago when his fan exploded doing a line loc burnout. I bought a welded one from Gene Berg the next day.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 08:19:42 am »

I had a stock fan let go many years ago, took out the fan housing and stand. they say you learn from your mistakes so when I fitted the Thing shroud I fitted a BugPack welded fan. Had no issues with it and regularly saw 7.5k RPM, problem I had was the belt flying off on a regular basis, rectified this by fitting a power pulley. It's only a 1776 but i've got a large cooler with fan and a deep sump and cruises at 80mph without going over 180 degrees Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Sarge

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 13:07:29 pm »

Of all the engines I've had over the years, none had a welded fan.  I've beat the snot out of those motors, too.  The thing most folks overlook is using the correct amount of shims for setting up the alternator pulley...you've got to have ten shims total (whether they're between or outside the pulley halves).  Taking a few shims out of the mix and tossing them into your tool box will lead to problems as the alternator nut will tighten onto the shaft (it's only threaded so far) rather then tightening against the cup and stack of shims which hold the pulley halves together.  So, if the pulley is "loose" so to speak on one end of the alternator shaft, could the vibrations work to loosen or destroy the fan on the other end? My $.02
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 15:38:42 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
Ivan

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 12:07:25 pm »

I had a stock fan let go at speed on the quarter mile, and it made a real mess - similar result to the pics on that thread except thankfully virtually no damage to the engine itself. Although part of the fan did try to escape through the rear quarter panel and so some bodywork and paint was needed.
 I've got a Berg welded fan now, and have had no problems since - touch wood.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 20:36:02 pm »

Of all the engines I've had over the years, none had a welded fan.  I've beat the snot out of those motors, too.  The thing most folks overlook is using the correct amount of shims for setting up the alternator pulley...you've got to have ten shims total (whether they're between or outside the pulley halves).  Taking a few shims out of the mix and tossing them into your tool box will lead to problems as the alternator nut will tighten onto the shaft (it's only threaded so far) rather then tightening against the cup and stack of shims which hold the pulley halves together.  So, if the pulley is "loose" so to speak on one end of the alternator shaft, could the vibrations work to loosen or destroy the fan on the other end? My $.02

Amen, brother! I've always been a firm believer in leaving what VW intended on the pulley. In this case, shims. They're all on there for a good reason. Glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way. Good on ya, Sarge!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 05:26:42 am »

I guess you didn't see me remove those two shims from your pulley a few weeks back?

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 07:19:30 am »

I guess you didn't see me remove those two shims from your pulley a few weeks back?

Dude... you know what? You are more evil than a sweater wearing... nevermind.

HAHA!! Just kidding.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 15:00:42 pm »

I was reading a (very) old Hot VW's a couple of days ago, where it discussed some people putting a thin smear of some kind of silicone lubricant onto the pulleys to make the belt slip at higher rpms. DOn't think I'd like to try it though, but was apparently fairly common practice...

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 15:21:20 pm »

wasn't someone developing a 'clutched' top pulley in the states? saw that in a Hot VW's too Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Donny B.

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 16:13:04 pm »

There have been a number of applications of an Air Conditioner clutch used on the bottom pulley.  Mike Fischer of Competition Engineering was doing them years ago.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
redbluebug

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 00:46:43 am »

Aircooled.net has a setup for the top pulley, but it is for a serpertine belt only.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: