The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:28:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350679 Posts in 28572 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Hangers for Dual Quiet Packs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hangers for Dual Quiet Packs?  (Read 2453 times)
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« on: August 15, 2008, 03:29:58 am »

Who's running hangers on their dual muffs?  I just put a set on my car and had to cut off the tabs because they interfered with the header.  At idle they bounce around a bit, so I'm thinking it would be best to support them.  What are you using, if so?  I guess I could get some universal "strap" type, but would that look lame?

Anybody NOT using anything?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 04:10:18 am »

You better put something on there, Mike...that's some weight bouncing around that will surely crack down the road.  Why is it that everything has to be customized now days....Sheeeesh Tongue
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:18:43 am by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:15:00 am »

Yep... what Sarge posted. In the old days, I remember people using stainless steel hosclamps around the muffler(s) and header. That's the cheapest/easiest way to remedy that. The right way is to have taps welded on the header and mufflers. Either way, support those mufflers, or you'll be replacing them VERY soon. They won't last and will crack. Take care of that as soon as you can.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 06:58:22 am »

I never liked the tabs welded on the header, they always seemed to crack. The stainless clamps always seemed to be the most trouble free.

I also park at Nick's.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 08:37:13 am »

Why is it that everything has to be customized now days....Sheeeesh Tongue
I agree! Just think how neat your Bug must have looked when it was stock, eh Sarge?  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
smurf67

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:56:10 am »

I have a similar problem with my twin quiet packs as they simply sit to close to the body work rendering the straps obsolite as they had to be removed to even get it to fit, however when i fitted a friends s/s exhaust it fitted perfect with no issues mine simply is of poor quality and will be removed as soon as funds allow.
Sarge

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:26:58 pm »

Why is it that everything has to be customized now days....Sheeeesh Tongue

I agree! Just think how neat your Bug must have looked when it was stock, eh Sarge?  Grin

Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:41:41 pm »

In my mufflers' defense, I have a funky merged header that someone modified to work with flanged heater boxes.  The #1 and #3 tubes curve toward the apron more than normal and are super close behind the mufflers.

I'll do some searching around and see if there's something I can make work without looking like a farm tractor.  Ideal situation would be a rubber mount to a bumper bolt it seems?  Also, I'm not opposed to viewing pictures of working setups.    Wink

Thanks for the info.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: