The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:51:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Will this be a Cal-looker?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Will this be a Cal-looker?  (Read 14513 times)
Bugace

Three men, a '73 03s, and 13 days. NOOOO, we didn'

« on: August 01, 2008, 15:42:55 pm »

A 1303, with 14inch slots with 4 alike tires, dropped both ends, a 1835 with modyfied 1600 singel carb and glasspack. Home made interior based on the stock components, but going old style with cassetplayer, equlizer etc. in a mid consol. Box speakers in the rear. I wonder if I should get my self some seats from a mid 70's To#¤ta Corolla E30.  Love the look of them. There will be no bumpers, or anything else, other then a little joke, playing with the collor name.

The collor is allredy chosen, and some alredy done. Lotus Larva Orange Pearl. Only is that the hood will be Black pearl, with dark greene pearl in the clearcoat, to match the two tooned windshield. I was planning a GT stripe as well over the car, but I liked the body so much with the orange only, that I decided to drop that idea.

Please help me if I'm totally off!!

Tor Henning

Well past 40, but finally a dream comes thrue!
bugkeeper

oldskool n numetal

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:45:28 am »

No.... this will be no Cal-Looker. Yes you are totally off.  Grin

Most 1303 "Cal Lookers" are more like Customs. I ve seen nice 1302 "Cal Lookers".

This is a niche example of a somewhat 70ies 1303 "Cal Look

I once had a California Look Book which I can't seem to fin anymore with a red 1303 Super Beetle Cal Looker which really looked good. The right stance and all. But personally with a 1303 I would make a drive machine "German" Looker.

Cheers
Dom

If you think sex is a pain in the ass, try a diffrent position...

Beauty is only skin deep, and the world is full of thin skinned people.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 16:39:26 pm »

john dean super beetle was a good example of cal look on 1303

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 16:40:51 pm »

not a1303  but an 1302 very nice cal look at the time

rebel

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 20:17:45 pm »

Hey, Fabs Smiley
There's nice 1302 Smiley Where did you find it? Got some more info about it?
Looks more late 70s, early 80s to me.

To Bugace: 1302/3 is not a crime in my opinion and it is possible to cal-look it. Actually I am making efforts to do it. It's not easy thing unfortunatly.
                 Californication the early bug to be acceptable is quite easy, because you have lots of ways to go and stay 'in the the style'.
                 Making a late model, especially a superbeetle you have to be more convincing in style, than on early model.
                 Besides it should be styled as cars built rather later, cause there was no Superbeetles in 1970 or 1969.
                 Lookers were made out of rather used cars as a general rule, but there are exeptions... 

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 20:31:39 pm by rebel » Logged

stealth67vw

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 01:52:20 am »

Build your car for what YOU like not what other people like. If they don't consider it "Cal Look" screw em, they don't drive it. On the other hand, to me Cal Look is simple, subtle single color paint, shit loads of horsepower and less is more, ie. no flashy flamboyant paint, no pro street hot rod wheels or graphics and simple no frills interior and exterior. The year of the car has little significance.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 02:01:25 am by stealth67vw » Logged

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 07:39:07 am »

This is some fine examples of a what can be do on a 1302-03

There also is the 1302 or 1303 race shop slalom car that is a nice example of a 70's beetle?

Wink

Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 12:05:18 pm »

The white one on gold pedrinis was to receive a prize at the EBI2, but sadly it was already gone when we had to give out the ribbons. Embarrassed

Wünderwaffe are Go!
bugkeeper

oldskool n numetal

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 13:19:20 pm »

There is another nice example of a 1302 looker... slightly high but the stance is not bad. The ride hight is do to safety reulations and will get adjusted after the vehicle inspection. (The car is not yet completed in this picture)

This is Cal Look in my opinion (Resto-Cal), just wheels, the stance, a nice clean interior and a potent engine.

Cheers Dom

If you think sex is a pain in the ass, try a diffrent position...

Beauty is only skin deep, and the world is full of thin skinned people.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 14:10:27 pm »

Build your car for what YOU like not what other people like. If they don't consider it "Cal Look" screw em, they don't drive it. On the other hand, to me Cal Look is simple, subtle single color paint, shit loads of horsepower and less is more, ie. no flashy flamboyant paint, no pro street hot rod wheels or graphics and simple no frills interior and exterior. The year of the car has little significance.

i agree john , but some nice example will help  sometimes to choose the right way  Wink

Bugace

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 20:43:24 pm »

Thank You all boys!

OK, my paint job is a little "screaming", but I use 1302 taillights, and I go for old style mirrors in the hinges. I will use some stock VW blinkers in the front, but I wonder if not I should make a round hole at the side of them, beeing sideblinkers as well. Also I use alu steps. When it comes to the engine, I prefere some economics on this ride, because it will be my daily driver. The singel carb 1835 drive 7.2 liters on 100 k's. Very affordable. Guess in time I will run some bigger tires in the rear, and smaller up front, just as long as they fit the 6x14 inches.
Now I was asked by my brother if I wished a '69 he bought. He only needed the engine, and got three cars from before. 1500 NOK, or 300 USD was acceptable, and when I today got my self a place in a garageshop, I'm a happy man.

rebel

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 21:44:10 pm »

If I may share an advice...

I would not try to make the superbeetle look older than it is. It almost always turns out not to be a good idea. Mirrors should be either stock from the model year or Talbot ones to match the style.
I'm not 'original NOS freak', so a nice replica is no problem for me if the budget is short.
The key is trying to think while modyfy your bug just the way The Guys did in the late 70s and early 80s. Not to copy the solutions and to serach for irationally expensive NOS parts, but to catch the spirit and to use the parts and solutions which are 'in the budget' keeping in mind what the original was ment to work and look.

In my opinion single Solex is almost always worse in both economy and "GO" than for example a pair of fair DRLAs of IDFs. These are of course more expensive to buy, but definitely worth the effort. I think that a basically stock 1600 (69x85.5) would perform far better on a pair of well tuned doublechokes than a bigger engine using small, stock carb. Not to mention the increase in gas milage.

The guys here know what I'm talkin' about...

cheers,

rebel

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 13:45:06 pm »

Hey, Fabs Smiley

To Bugace: 1302/3 is not a crime in my opinion and it is possible to cal-look it. Actually I am making efforts to do it. It's not easy thing unfortunatly.
                 Californication the early bug to be acceptable is quite easy, because you have lots of ways to go and stay 'in the the style'.
                 Making a late model, especially a superbeetle you have to be more convincing in style, than on early model.
                 Besides it should be styled as cars built rather later, cause there was no Superbeetles in 1970 or 1969.
                 Lookers were made out of rather used cars as a general rule, but there are exeptions... 

pm sent rebel  Wink

Bugace

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 13:51:54 pm »

If I may share an advice...

I would not try to make the superbeetle look older than it is. It almost always turns out not to be a good idea. Mirrors should be either stock from the model year or Talbot ones to match the style.
I'm not 'original NOS freak', so a nice replica is no problem for me if the budget is short.
The key is trying to think while modyfy your bug just the way The Guys did in the late 70s and early 80s. Not to copy the solutions and to serach for irationally expensive NOS parts, but to catch the spirit and to use the parts and solutions which are 'in the budget' keeping in mind what the original was ment to work and look.

In my opinion single Solex is almost always worse in both economy and "GO" than for example a pair of fair DRLAs of IDFs. These are of course more expensive to buy, but definitely worth the effort. I think that a basically stock 1600 (69x85.5) would perform far better on a pair of well tuned doublechokes than a bigger engine using small, stock carb. Not to mention the increase in gas milage.

The guys here know what I'm talkin' about...

cheers,

rebel

Thank You Rebel!!
In many ways what You tell me, is the reason I try to do as I do. Because, if I succseed, I have managed doing something not that common. Yes, I love the old traditional builds, but I like to have a daily driver that works as good as possible, and still is a entusiast car. The more modern look of the Super, also having the MP suspension, and selfregulating brakes, works very well here. Blocking as many holes in the body as possible, will make it easier for me to keep the rust away. That is one og the reasons I go for the old mirrors. Removing the bumpers, make the car more simular to the older ones, off course it still got the wider front. In the rear I remove the 1303 script, running 1302 taillights. Getting this to work with the 03 front must be the challange I have to overcome. I was thinking about a double, even a triple collor scheme.  
I alredy see the result of dropping the bumpers, keeping  it clean both ends. Even though the car is dropped, it looks higher then stock, and very compact.
I guess the engine choice is alredy done! The one that followed the car works very well. No way You could gett a 1835 run cheaper with a doble, with out running on very low rpm. As it is I don't need to gear down driving 80 kph when I wish passing a car, the respond is not MIGHTY, but it is there, and that is all I wish. My engine is stipulated arround 70 hp. I dont know what kind of cam it has, but 009, electrical fuel pump, a more effective coil(have not recogniced which mark it is yet), and some lightened details arround helps some. First and second gear feels stock, and short, but third and fourt feels longer. Just about 2100 rpm in fourth fits norwegian roads excellent.

You might understand I have a lot to learn, and I admit so. One thing You have to understand though! I might ask, and I'm not affraid doing so. Still, I'm stubbard, very stubbard, and I don't prefere the safe way, I like challanging the most common way. When I screw up, I tell You though. You deserve the laugh Smiley Wink

rebel

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 15:18:59 pm »

Hey, Fabs Smiley

pm sent rebel  Wink

I did not get any Sad

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 16:02:24 pm »

Hey, Fabs Smiley

pm sent rebel  Wink

I did not get any Sad

3 mails on the adress on your profile

Huh

rebel

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 17:37:31 pm »

Got it!

Thanx, Fabs! Cheesy

josjegroenendijk

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 15:27:58 pm »

hi, here is my 1302, mayby is this a example wath you can do with a 1302/03.
i just sold my 1641 and we are building a 2276cc for it, to drive at the strip!!

grtz jos
tikimadness

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 16:21:53 pm »

i just sold my 1641 and we are building a 2276cc for it, to drive at the strip!!

grtz jos

But still no cal-looker Tongue

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Bugace

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 20:24:15 pm »

grtz jos

But still no cal-looker Tongue

Michael

I know power is one of the main ingredients for a cal-looker, as well as beeing clean. Shaved trim, and maybe some more details. Bigger tires there back, as well. How many of the most optical details have to be there to call the look cal-look? Also, how much power do You need to make it strong enough for the old school cal-looks. Have the time done anything to the cal-look style, or has it been standing still? Is it open for changes, or would that be a new style? I know the german look. And I very often see this as the way to go with the 03's, but I actually don't like that look to much. I rather go for something more personal. I now that many will be supriced about my interior when it is done. It is easy, and not espacially expencive. Actually  You dont need any stronger sewing machine that what is common in many households either. I see only one challange, the dash, but I'll manage.  Grin
Big words from one that hardly has done anything of these things before.  Roll Eyes

ian c

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 20:52:06 pm »

sure itll be a cal-looker .....

wouldn't be my idea of a base vehicle to start from , but wtf do i know ? i built a newbie cal-look !! Roll Eyes

i think the best you can do with a newer beetle is take a few design cues from earlier cars and get a "hint" , or a modern day interpretation of california look .

theres getting to be quite a lot of snobbery in the vw scene these days .  pisses me off .

ITS ALL ABOUT RUNNING WITH WHAT YOU GOT !!!
allways has been , allways will be .
you dont need to build a $50k magazine car to have california - look ....  its a LOOK , not a LOOK AT ME Wink

(rant off , going for a milkshake to calm down)
Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:18:24 am by ian c » Logged

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Bugace

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 15:14:33 pm »

sure itll be a cal-looker .....

would be my idea of a base vehicle to start from , but wtf do i know ? i built a newbie cal-look !! Roll Eyes

i think the best you can do with a newer beetle is take a few design cues from earlier cars and get a "hint" , or a modern day interpretation of california look .

theres getting to be quite a lot of snobbery in the vw scene these days .  pisses me off .

ITS ALL ABOUT RUNNING WITH WHAT YOU GOT !!!
allways has been , allways will be .
you dont need to build a $50k magazine car to have california - look ....  its a LOOK , not a LOOK AT ME Wink

(rant off , going for a milkshake to calm down)
Cheesy

Thanks!! I agree. Still I'm happy I don't need to do the paint job at a norwegian professional garage for full price. At the shop where I do my Beetle, they told me they would asked arround 16k for the paintjob alone. I have done some swapping, since I have several contacts in my other hobby, and only pay the materials. Lucky me. I payed 3600$ for the car, including the Slots, and the 1835. Replaced a fender (150), and the front plate (100), mirrors (150), windshield (360), window seals (270), hood and engine seals (100), fender seals (100), stock used blinkers with replica orange glas(10), alu sidesteps (290). Some few more small pieces bought, so I have passed 5000, and when interior is done I guess I will have passed 7000. But the whole car will be less then 9k, and that I'm satisfied with.

The engine will need a upshining, and later on I will try to sell the full aluminum cooler house, as I wish one with no blowout rearwards. Otherwise I'll have to experiment some before setteling on how I wish the rest of the enginebay should look.

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 12:28:52 pm »

Here's another nice 1302

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 12:32:22 pm »

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: