The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:38:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  More Crappy Copys
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: More Crappy Copys  (Read 5093 times)
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« on: August 02, 2008, 17:03:30 pm »

these dont hold a candle to the JGE Torkers  the new Midland Torker wheel Copy is very Heavy and the center's are thinner then the Originals or the JGE Torkers  just like the Brm's Midland= Replica  Flat 4= Quality Repo JGE= Quality Repo  I dont know why if you are going to copy something you cant copy it correctly Whats The Deal ??
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=644701
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 23:45:25 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
tikimadness

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 18:40:30 pm »

Talked to a dutch guy last week,he bought a set of midland brm's and the paint allready came of after THREE WEEKS.

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
beetletom

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 18:56:18 pm »

jesus....

is nothing ever copied... Roll Eyes

but a copy of a copy!  Cheesy
SlingShot

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 21:36:15 pm »

Talked to a dutch guy last week,he bought a set of midland brm's and the paint allready came of after THREE WEEKS.

A buddy of mine once told me, "If your going to do it wrong, Do it right !"

Will Race For Beer !!!
Joe_G

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 22:21:13 pm »

and they couldn't even come up with their own name for them  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Rasser

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 22:24:19 pm »

these dont hold a candle to the JGE Torkers  the new Midland wheel torker Copy is very Heavy and the centerers are thinner the the Originals or the JGE Torkers  just like the Brm's Midland= Replica  Flat 4= Quality Repo JGE= Quality Repo  I dont know why if you are going to copy something you cant copy it correctly Whats The Deal ??
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=644701

I think the deal with people complaining about copies off this and copies of that, is that they have just discovered that their original this and that isnīt that special anymore!
I would hate to run std. rims on my car, so I love the fact that i have so many period correct rims (copies) to choose from -get over it, and enjoy!
With that said - I would love a set of genuine BRMīs.....  but prices on those are too high.

Michael
Have had a set off the same rims for 1― year now (7000-8000km), still flawless. Good quality - especially when you compare to the price they sell for.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 22:33:34 pm by Rasser DK » Logged

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
plasticblack

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 22:57:47 pm »

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery: To imitate someone is to pay the person a genuine compliment—often an unintended compliment.
I think the point here is that after all that it takes to get a product like the Radars, Gee Bees and Torkers to market...

It really isn't 'Cricket' to Copy, Capitalize & Undercut.

We all love Replicas because we get the chance to have something that we desire at a fraction of the cost of the original (BRM's for example)

But for some (purely personal choice) only the originals will do, and these people are prepared to hunt out the items and pay the price on demand.(Fair Play to Them)

I don't decry in any way these people, because without them, the Replica Market probably would exist?

For me personally ,a Replica Wheel will do me just fine, until the originals come within my price range (Highly Unlikely me thinks...)  Cheesy
gizago

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 23:56:55 pm »

All the time people are buying cheap crappy repros, mws will keep making em. Simple as that. Not everyone in the VW world appreciates the time, effort, attention to detail and investment put into making quality repros by the likes of JGE and Flat4, and cant see a justifiable reason to spend a few pounds extra over the mws copies of copies. They just see the same thing at different prices.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 00:23:51 am »

I take great comfort when I'm going down the road at a substantial clip that Joe G. has made such a solid, safe wheel.

I also park at Nick's.
Gary Justus

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 01:31:30 am »

.....too bad
don't buy what you don't want
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 09:51:50 am »

and they couldn't even come up with their own name for them  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
ESH

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 10:59:52 am »

... and they couldn't even come up with their own name for them ...

They do have carbon fibre look bits on the centre caps though. Very 'period'!

Shocked  Roll Eyes
beetletom

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 12:12:34 pm »

joe, is it true that jge are making empi spyder replicas?
thanks!
qubek

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 19:19:56 pm »

All the time people are buying cheap crappy repros, mws will keep making em. Simple as that. Not everyone in the VW world appreciates the time, effort, attention to detail and investment put into making quality repros by the likes of JGE and Flat4, and cant see a justifiable reason to spend a few pounds extra over the mws copies of copies. They just see the same thing at different prices.
The point is that MWS BRM copies and Flat 4 BRM copies are not the same thing. Flat 4 are 5 inch, MWS are 4,5 and 5,5 inch. This is a difference.
I don't know what is the offset.
BTW - the difference in price is not "a few pounds"

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Prowagen

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 23:00:38 pm »

Unfortunately the scene here in the UK means that Midland will have plenty of takers for their wheels. I would say 90% of the people into VW's over here would rather save money and will always ask "How cheap are those" It annoys me really, I have seen guys buy their Ģ15 blade bumpers from brazil that rust when you sneeze next to them, over and over agian! When you say hey mate why dont you buy the good quality ones that are tripple chromed? You get the reply that they are way too expensive. But the guy will quite happily buy 3 sets of crap bumpers a year that go rusty in seconds!

I suppose each to their own!

All we can take comfort in is there are enough of us that know better and actually will pay for the right thing! I think if anyone with half a technical mind, went to the midland stand they would realise you get what you pay for! Simple as that, if somethings more expensive its normally because its a better bit of kit, not because of the name!

Alot of it is education, when i was a spotty faced teen, I loved my chrome tinware and gawdy dress up parts, and thought that Gene Berg bloke was a rip off! But not i like to think of myself as a fine cheese, not just smelly but mature! And have seen the light and have come to worship the Gene Berg merchandise and its likes from other innovators!

Just remember the saying always copied never beaten!

Rob.
JS

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 06:01:48 am »

Did anyone check out the Flat4 5-lug sprintstar at CSP EBI stand? It looks exactly like the same wheel that Midland sells...
And the BRM copy? Well, it donīt look much like the original... Note that Iīm talking about the wheel thatīs on the market now with glossy paint, not the old version.
Just my 5cents...

Signature.
Mike Lawless

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 15:56:25 pm »

It's not any different in the 'States Rob.

There are many questions on the other forum that begin with, "Where can I get the cheapest....."

And then we hear the complaints, "Issues with fit and quality on my cheap parts. WTF!!!"

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 19:22:43 pm »

Joe, have you seen one of Midland  Torker wheels up close? Curious if your info is cast on the inside of them?

I also park at Nick's.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 20:52:20 pm »

Joe, have you seen one of Midland  Torker wheels up close? Curious if your info is cast on the inside of them?
here is the site http://www2.cip1.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6654%2DS&PhotoNumber=5

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 05:42:10 am »

Joe?

I also park at Nick's.
GreenTom

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 14:02:27 pm »

I runn MWS gasburers can't complain. yes they are havy but they are so cheep... only one disadwantege of then is the offset, the centers are much thicker than ganuine Gee Bees,

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: