The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:10:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Russ Fellows run 9.51 at Bug Jam
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Russ Fellows run 9.51 at Bug Jam  (Read 17280 times)
Prowagen

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 17:20:27 pm »

Russ do you run a radiator or do you just do what Jon Rathbone had a tank and long water lines to the front to aid cooling?
russ fellows

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 19:57:52 pm »

it has a 12" square radiater which pulls air from the window with the aid 11"blow through fan this keeps the water in the heads at about 95  at a steady cruise of 90 miles an hour
Prowagen

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 22:01:53 pm »

Cool thanks for the info.

Why did you choose to use the Autocraft heads over pauters own?

Rob.
russ fellows

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 22:23:57 pm »

there is a very good reason for that . it is what i had . and i had the flo chart for these heads and it was quite good. my only doubt is the 700 lbs spring pressure i need to run with this cam .they are also easy to water jacket.
SteveW

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 07:50:14 am »

only if you use castrol-R just purely for the smell Grin

The best smell in the world!! Grin

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Peter Shattock

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 07:57:41 am »

I have to say the car is not my cup of tea in terms of style, being a bit of a stuck in the mud old school cal look fan, but I love the engineering and you can't grumble about driving to the track running a 9.51 and driving home again!

Absolutely top draw, keep up the good work! 

Peter

The fastest beetle in the village
Travis

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 09:07:26 am »

Russ that is just amazing. I can only try to guess at how much work and effort u have put in to it
Well done that man Grin

Martin breaking third gear how much power have u got
Just as that thing came up on boost i bet. Crazzzzzzzzzzzzy Shocked
russ fellows

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 13:45:46 pm »

thanks travis. martin is on holiday again .we had his car on the rolling road last friday and it made 450 at the wheels .we did not push any harder yet as the car could do with track time but i know he is very pleased for its first resl outing
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 15:04:22 pm »

Oi Fellows, get of the laptop and back in the shed!

what do you mean on Holiday agian, its only the 2nd this year!  lol

Travis, 3rd gear blew due to all the abuse its had, lost track of the dyno runs its done, the clutchless shifts (clutchwas stuck) and all the untold operator abuse LOL. but never mind it can be fixed, dont want to turn up the power yet, as i want to get the chassis sorted, still getting used to the v-gate. so l want to get the best out of the car first, then move onto turning it up. the car will do laps now so i can work on the race craft.

tell you what though, it the only car ive driven that pulls just as hard in 4th as it does 2nd! lol cant wait to get it all dialed in.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
russ fellows

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 15:28:26 pm »

if you stopped having all these holidays you would get it dailed in a lot quicker lol . only joking have e beer or three for me
Airspeed

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 21:51:06 pm »

it took a while but got there in the end .
the gearbox is a short nosed G50 porsche .
Thanks for the info Russ! Guess whats under my workbench for when the 915 blows?  Grin
Very cool you joined here and answer the q's yourself!
Do you have a factory LSD in there?
What clutch do you use with it?

Still weird the engine was damaged not even running the high octane, high boost mode as it obviously did on the dyno-sheet...?

Tnx,
Walter

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2008, 12:47:25 pm »

we both use the same clutch, its the J&G floater with the twin black diamond disks. Although Russ is thinking about going for a twin/triple carbon clutch arangment. as he's finding that the black diamond disks are a little heavy and dont help gear shifts. If the Carbon Disks hold up to Mrs Fellows's shopping trips then they will be fine on the strip! lol

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Udo

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2008, 13:46:34 pm »

Black Diamont ? Is it different to Black Magic ?

Udo

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2008, 14:20:26 pm »

Udo

there the same, might be me getting it wrong.

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Udo

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 16:44:12 pm »

Udo

So you only use 1 disc ? 2 would be a little too much i think !

Udo

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2008, 17:14:28 pm »

Udo

So you only use 1 disc ? 2 would be a little too much i think !

Udo

We use 2 disks, they are the 6mm ones not the 8mm normal ones. there is an intermediate plate between the two disks. and yes there isnt much room! Lucky Russ used a G50 box and has a larger bell housing, and im using a mendeola, but still had to grind the case to get it in. they seam to work well with our heavy weight cars.

might have a pictuer some place.

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Airspeed

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 20:46:50 pm »

might have a pictuer some place.

That would be very cool!
Thanks in advance!

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
russ fellows

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2008, 23:42:23 pm »

if you go on the Mcleod web site you can see the assembly it is the drag mag one . the gear change at the last meeting was good and the launch was smooth . if you use your g50 box you  can machine 20mm of the bell housing and fit a hydraulic release bearing which will convert it to a push clutch .the only thing you would have to do is make a flywheel like the one i had made  if i can be of any more help ask away
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2008, 08:07:39 am »

Just dont ask on a Wednesday night, as you'll get some daft drunken answer! lol

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2008, 17:53:08 pm »

Firstly, big respect to Russ for running such a mental time in a street driven car! All those years of trial and development are paying off at last, and boy has Russ earned it! The only thing is he has 'raised the bar' way too much now for us mere mortals Grin

Well done Russ! Matt Keene

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
58vw

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2008, 21:42:41 pm »

very cool indeed....love the pics and congrats on the et and mph and then drive home. My kind of car. Grin

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Bad bug

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2008, 03:09:53 am »

Hi all i am new here. I just want to say congrats to Russ for running such a great time. I have always loved his car, even when he had the 2.4 ltr type4 with porsche heads on his ride. One question though russ why didn't you develope this engine anymore.
russ fellows

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2008, 21:31:37 pm »

the reason for the change was because the heads were hemi design and the ports turned quikly the were a bit thin at the point where the head joint was .they would only hold 115 bhp per cylinder .which was a shame because the car drove really well and was only at 16 pounds boost . so we turned it down to 400bhp and sold it on
Prowagen

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2008, 22:38:29 pm »

Where did your old motor find a new home? Whoever has it must be chuffed, instant 10sec power plant.
Bad bug

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2008, 04:28:34 am »

the reason for the change was because the heads were hemi design and the ports turned quikly the were a bit thin at the point where the head joint was .they would only hold 115 bhp per cylinder .which was a shame because the car drove really well and was only at 16 pounds boost . so we turned it down to 400bhp and sold it on

Russ do you intend to let anyone in on the secrets of how to build such an engine.
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2008, 08:34:02 am »

Russ do you intend to let anyone in on the secrets of how to build such an engine.

He buys my cast offs! lol Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You know im only Joking Russ.......................You've just about bust all my cast offs!    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:06:31 pm by Martin Taylor » Logged

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2008, 12:11:38 pm »

Seriously now.....

It takes lots of time and money, comon sence, understanding wife and being prepared to do the hours.
Some ideas work, some don’t. You just have to keep at it.

You also have to look outside the vw world for inspiration. Im sure we can get a whole lot more out of them ,its just takes time....... and beer.

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Airspeed

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2008, 18:41:07 pm »

It takes lots of time and money, comon sence, understanding wife and being prepared to do the hours.
Some ideas work, some don’t. You just have to keep at it.

You also have to look outside the vw world for inspiration. Im sure we can get a whole lot more out of them ,its just takes time....... and beer.

I think the above hits the nail on the head perfectly.
Cheers for that (and the beer of course  Grin)!

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: