The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 22:18:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Seriously Rare Car!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Seriously Rare Car!  (Read 16862 times)
Ivan

« on: August 14, 2008, 18:49:15 pm »

Everybody and their dog loves '67s, but the rarest '67 of them all is the 1200 Standard  or 'Base Model'. It get's a whole lot rarer if it was originally ordered from new with the optional Golde ragtop sunroof (the last Beetle model/year to be offered by VW with a ragtop.) And then it gets far rarer if it was also ordered new as a Right Hand Drive car - as the only ones know were ordered as hire cars by a company on the Channel Islands between England and France.

It is thought 10 cars were ordered - about three are still known.

One of them is for sale!   

http://www.leriche.com/sales/carview.asp?reg=J72182&page=4
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 19:02:38 pm »

Mark P. (old manager at Buggy House in 1980's) owned a European 1967 1200 standard, with a sliding cloth sunroof. It was a real trip.

Not sure if it was a RHD or LHD or where it is now. Last time I saw it was 1990.
Ivan

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 19:08:06 pm »

Check the spec!

No window trim, no overiders, painted turn signal housings, painted hubcaps, painted quarterlights, painted window winders, inner door handles, really basic door pulls and basic door panels with no map pocket, no dash tim, rubber floor mats instaed of carpet, seats without back rest latches - keep looking you keep finding LESS!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 19:10:49 pm »

Check the spec!

No window trim, no overiders, painted turn signal housings, painted hubcaps, painted quarterlights, painted window winders, inner door handles, really basic door pulls and basic door panels with no map pocket, no dash tim, rubber floor mats instaed of carpet, seats without back rest latches - keep looking you keep finding LESS!

if it would have come with a hotrod motor and suspension settings we could refer to it as a Bettle 1200RS
Ivan

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 19:18:11 pm »

Check the spec!

if it would have come with a hotrod motor and suspension settings we could refer to it as a Bettle 1200RS

A hot rod motor/tranny and suspension is EXACTLY what this car wants! No matter how rare it is, I certainly wouldn't want to cheat it out of having a little fun in its old age.

It's pretty much a factory California Look Bug - just add montser drivetrain.
kev d

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 19:19:36 pm »

Someone needs to buy this & fit a hot motor Cool

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 19:25:36 pm »

I used to have one of these standard's with a cloth roof , found it in a lock up round the back of my old place , sold it to Boom Boom and got it back , then sold it on again to some fella up north for peanuts about 8 -> ten years ago , still kick myself when I think about it  Embarrassed .

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 19:28:36 pm »

WOW! Seriously cool car. Love the painted turn signal housings on the front fenders, too. Thanks for showing us that.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
sheep

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 19:42:24 pm »

I think it would make a great baja Grin

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Tony M

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 20:17:11 pm »

Just what i was thinking Frank  Wink - Big Marks car also had semi's on it if i am correct - will call him today and recheck - But it was not RHD - That i rember.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 21:10:33 pm »

Interesting vehicle to see in person. I notice there is no trim on the dash however there is on the exterior of the vehicle? I always assumed  that a "standard" vehicle had no trim at all...Also, I never could figure out why the euro standard came with only one front grill?

Der Kleiner Panzers
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 21:14:58 pm »

Interesting vehicle to see in person. I notice there is no trim on the dash however there is on the exterior of the vehicle? I always assumed  that a "standard" vehicle had no trim at all...Also, I never could figure out why the euro standard came with only one front grill?

I know a 1200 std from 69 that was restored as og, it has trim only on the side of the car, not on the front hood, not on the dash and not on windows rubbers. But it has 2 horn grills and chrome turn signals, a little luxury on late std !  Grin.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 21:17:18 pm by Nico86 » Logged

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 03:02:38 am »

That's a seriously cool car.  I usually stay far away from rare stuff, but I'd consider that if I were in a position to. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Ivan

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 14:39:40 pm »

The Standard had side trim in '67 but no hood trim. It didn't come with trim on the running boards either. The reason for one horn grille was that the horn was behind it. The reason a Deluxe had two grilles was purely aesthetic - to level things out when you looked at the car from the front.

The other thing worth noting is the headliner - If you zoom in on the pic above you'll be able to see the area under the window is painted. The Standard only had a headliner in the center of the roof - the bit above you. The rest was painted body color. 
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 14:42:23 pm »

The other thing worth noting is the headliner - If you zoom in on the pic above you'll be able to see the area under the window is painted. The Standard only had a headliner in the center of the roof - the bit above you. The rest was painted body color. 

Got the same on the 69 std I know. I'm wondering if the wheels are og on this 67 std, they come out with black & white rims and body-color hubcaps ?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 14:44:58 pm by Nico86 » Logged

Sam K

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 15:34:34 pm »

That car is too cool! I would love to buy it and import to the U.S.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 18:01:53 pm »

Here is another 67 Ragtop standard no chrome on the dash carpet looks like felt? notice Fuel Lever
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 18:05:30 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 18:05:02 pm »

The Standard had side trim in '67 but no hood trim. It didn't come with trim on the running boards either. The reason for one horn grille was that the horn was behind it. The reason a Deluxe had two grilles was purely aesthetic - to level things out when you looked at the car from the front.

If that's true, The front hood wound be the rarest item on the car. ( A factory Cal look hood ) and a one year only! 
 In regards to the front grill, I understand why there is cut out for the horn grill. just looks like that someone was cutting corners to save a buck. being that it was the hold idea..

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 18:08:19 pm by ST DRAGN » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 18:51:41 pm »

On this red one the steering wheel seems not to be og, it must be the same as the blue one, with just a black horn button in the center without Wolfsburg's emblem.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 23:49:50 pm »

here're a picture of the headliner from my 61 standard  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 23:56:41 pm »

What does the B pillar look like on a standard model? Does it still have the rubber strip that seals the door Huh

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 10:31:09 am »

zack what the b pillar Roll Eyes Roll Eyes , let me know and i will take picture on my car
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 13:50:41 pm by speedwell » Logged

beetletom

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 12:36:43 pm »

anyone got a close up pic of the b piller?

as i'm turning my bug into a 1200 inside....
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 13:59:13 pm »

the " b " pillar on my 73 1200 standard is just painted metal with a dark grey plastic strip that covers the join of the two metal panels that meet there.

i'll get some photos later.

This is the factory finish as when I got my car it had all 1200 standard spec bits ie the rubber floor mats and felt type carpet. two owners from new.

Shame I f**ked it all up and chucked away all the mats, put early panels on it etc.

It was the mid '80s, a £150 car and I didn't know any better Roll Eyes Roll Eyes 

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 15:48:24 pm »

On both of my old 67 standard's the B pillar was just painted with a thin grey plastic strip covering the exposed seam from the headliner down to the heater channel , hope that helps .

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 17:20:38 pm »

nobody want to said what is the B pillar i know i 'm stupid but i've a standart too  Roll Eyes

beetletom

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 17:21:40 pm »

thanks!!
but is the headlining strip cut off?or a plastic strip that covers the lot?
as the one at the rear of the car isnt there and above the door opening...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 17:24:45 pm by beetletom » Logged
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 17:36:58 pm »

nobody want to said what is the B pillar i know i 'm stupid but i've a standart too  Roll Eyes

Fabian, every hardtop car has pillars (vertical support beams that attach from the roof to the lower body). The A pillars are just forward of your wing vents. The B pillars are where your striker plates are located where your doors shut/open. C pillars are just behind the rear quarter windows. Some estates (wagons) even have D and E pillars like Volvos and Benzes. A convertible would only have the front A pillars, in theory. Unless it's a Speester or roadster where the windshield is a separate piece that attached to the body. Confused yet? HAHA!!

Hope that helps, brother.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2008, 19:02:15 pm »

Fabs, "B pillar" is "montant de porte", celui entre la porte et les custodes arrières Wink Just under your interior light on the pic you post above.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 21:38:54 pm »

Fabian, every hardtop car has pillars (vertical support beams that attach from the roof to the lower body). The A pillars are just forward of your wing vents. The B pillars are where your striker plates are located where your doors shut/open. C pillars are just behind the rear quarter windows. Some estates (wagons) even have D and E pillars like Volvos and Benzes. A convertible would only have the front A pillars, in theory. Unless it's a Speester or roadster where the windshield is a separate piece that attached to the body. Confused yet? HAHA!!

Hope that helps, brother.

Fabs, "B pillar" is "montant de porte", celui entre la porte et les custodes arrières Wink Just under your interior light on the pic you post above.
thx guys pict will follow tomorrow  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: