The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 11:46:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351100 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Sarge, when did transaxles start living?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sarge, when did transaxles start living?  (Read 5397 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: August 20, 2008, 21:10:09 pm »

Sarge how did you and your brothers keep your gearboxes alive back in the stone ages? Were guys spitting out diff carriers left and right or what? (oh wait they only come out left-ways). Was it the off road guys that taught everybody else how to keep a tranny together when abused? Seems like the drag guys just accepted trans breakage, even with Porsche stuff? Tell us about your Hurst Slicks story in alley behind F.A.T.  Grin

Sarge

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 22:19:12 pm »

Ssssshhhh... I'm not supposed to be on here at work, remember?  As for transmissions, I broke my share with the '63.  Fortunatly, most of us ran 165 X 15 tires back then otherwise there would have been more carnage.  Solid mounts and the newly invented traction bar helped out, too.  My only dealings with slicks was a costly one.  Greg Aronson had just taken delivery on a set of Hurst slicks (at the original F&A shop on Howell) and "pestered" me into trying them out behind the shop.  The first hit was a little bit of wheel hop, so he told me to really hammer it good the next time.  Lucky it was a short push into the shop Sad .  I had Lee Leighton's son Mike do the box in the sandrail after a couple of early failures there and never had another problem.  As for the '67, that was done by Jim Kaforski, and knock-on-wood, has been a nice piece.  A lot of trans failures happen from failure to use the handbrake to "load" the box before blast off IMO.

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:07:17 am »

I hope Greg at least helped you fix your box!

I also park at Nick's.
dirk zeyen

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 22:04:08 pm »

hello sarge                                                                                                                                                                                     "A lot of trans failures happen from failure to use the handbrake to "load" the box before blast off IMO"
can you explain this?

dirk zeyen

back again!!!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 00:49:32 am »

From lack of pre-loading. The handbrake trick was taught to me when I started driving. Good stuff!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 00:58:19 am »

hello sarge                                                                                                                                                                                     "A lot of trans failures happen from failure to use the handbrake to "load" the box before blast off IMO"
can you explain this?

dirk zeyen

Hi Dirk...   Loading the gear box means when you pull in to stage your car, lift the hand brake (keep the button pressed in) and let the clutch out partially in first gear at the line to pull the car down (the back end will squat a bit "loading" the gears in the trans).  Some like to leave "on the brake" to avoid wheel spin when running street tires as well.  This will help lessen some of the shock on the trans.

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 01:00:10 am »

sheep has a different explanation of "loading the tranny"

Rennsurfer

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:01:42 am »

I hate politics... but for 2008, vote for Ratto & Sheep!

Pre-loading trannies... HAHA!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:15:41 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:03:36 am »

I'm appalled  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Rennsurfer

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:14:56 am »

Really? And here I've been calling you Sarge. Silly me. I suck.

~Sarge
deano

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 14:13:08 pm »

I'll take a stab at this topic. Most fast VWs at the time used the 4.37 ring and pinion, which most of us would agree is the weakest of all the R&Ps. Add that factor to the useage an early mainshaft and you get maybe 15-25 runs before they go boom! And that's with 140hp. So, once people began to use a Super Diff, and the Super Beetle mainshaft came into the picture, I believe a gearbox began to live longer. As the hp increased, so did moving to a stronger 4.12 and finally the 3.88. Crown axles helped, as did sidecovers.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 15:53:16 pm »

Funny, I figured as tire size and stickiness increased, along with hp, that trannys would break sooner. I do think we are pushing the limits of the stock type 1 trans case. With a tranny with a Berg 5, quaife dif & race prep going for just under 5 grand you would think someone could come out with an aftermarket white paper design for the street that would cure some of the type 1 weaknesses.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 16:51:42 pm »

I'll take a stab at this topic. Most fast VWs at the time used the 4.37 ring and pinion, which most of us would agree is the weakest of all the R&Ps. Add that factor to the useage an early mainshaft and you get maybe 15-25 runs before they go boom! And that's with 140hp. So, once people began to use a Super Diff, and the Super Beetle mainshaft came into the picture, I believe a gearbox began to live longer. As the hp increased, so did moving to a stronger 4.12 and finally the 3.88. Crown axles helped, as did sidecovers.
                                                   I think you're right Dean. The gussetted case helps hold the ring and pinion together, better, as well.

I also park at Nick's.
dirk zeyen

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 19:22:07 pm »

thank's sarge

it was my mistranslation what makes me nervous...so i asked you. in my translation you said that preload the gearbox is not a good idea, so i want to know why Shocked Grin Shocked i run a stock 1974 swingaxle gearbox with 4.375 R/P and polished the axels and some more little modification. i preload it every time and it works!!! i love the way the "old boys" drive: no msd, no efi... but fast and simple and maybe cheaper Wink Wink
remember greg aronson with 69x88 engine, w1110cam and stock ratio gearbox runs an 14.17, today most people need for the same timeslip bigger engines and close ratio gearboxes, so ask the "old boys" how to go fast!!!

dirk zeyen

back again!!!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 19:33:38 pm »

Sarge is saying you MUST pre-load.

I also park at Nick's.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 20:12:34 pm »

Sarge is saying you MUST pre-lube.

There, I fixed it for you.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 20:51:17 pm »

SSSAAAARRGGEEE!!!!!

I also park at Nick's.
dirk zeyen

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 21:47:56 pm »

hello john,

after reading it again i know it!!!!
to many beer, fast reading and one more beer and see what happend Grin Grin

and yes i will preload again!!!

dirk zeyen