The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:53:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Mike Maize - Can I see pics of your car please?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Mike Maize - Can I see pics of your car please?  (Read 15556 times)
Mike Maize

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 21:40:01 pm »

more I read this thread the more I get into this car.... Mike really, the feel of the car is perfect!
I reminds me of (and I mean this as a 150% compliment!) a Tonka toy or a small die cast hot rod VW.... in fact I think I had a Tonka Vw Bug very much like your car when I was 2 or 3 in 1972-ish....
Any other color, and the feeling would be lost. The finish of the alloys works perfect.

it pays to dare to be different.  Wink
Jim TRUST ME it is doubtlessly a compliment because that is THE feeling I was trying to recreate from my childhood. ALL of my toys looked like that and every van and car in my neighborhood had that exaggerated style that was around in the 70's. The only thing cooler about the toys of the day compared to the real customs of the day was their single color paint jobs.....no gaudy airbrushing or stripes on my Tonka's Revell models or on my Hotwheels, just bright colors.
This thread has REALLY gotten me thinking about "why" I built this car. I'll be honest when I finished putting it together a while back I wasn't too sure what I had done....
My other car was done over in the 90's when I got inspired by the super detailed powerful cal-lookers that were on the rise in the magazines and my mind was being blown daily on the "other" forum. I "thought" what I wanted was a magazine feature and show accolades.....well I got the show accolades but never a feature but all of that did not satisfy. THEN I read the cross country articles featuring Donny B and his crew and realized my happiest times with my car were when I was on my way to the shows or just running around town with the kids etc...
Anyway..... when I started to think about my next car I knew I wanted something I could race but I really wanted to build something fun and less serious than what had been going on in the "scene". I had had enough serious in the show world and was really tired of cleaning and being concerned with flaws. Parts started to accumulate if they fit the "fun but fast" theme and all of the sudden there was a car ready to go together. I love my black car but this car is a better reflection of my personality......its the, nostalgic child of the 70's, skater punk, some flaws, but has a good sense of humor, version of a Cal-looker.
THANKS sooooo much again to everyone for the compliments, I hope I can give you all a ride in it at some point (I promise I'll beat to within an inch of its life for you)!
PS I was pondering polishing and detailing the wheels but they will stay as is.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 21:42:35 pm by Mike Maize » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 21:44:40 pm »

awesome Mike.... good job dude.
Mike Maize

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 21:45:01 pm »

Wink
Thanks Speewell they have a nice "dreamy" feel to them.......
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 21:48:46 pm »

Wink
Thanks Speewell they have a nice "dreamy" feel to them.......
cool car , have cool pictures
 Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Mike Maize

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 21:48:51 pm »

Hey this nostalgia is triggering other memories Shocked....I should tell you about all  the hippy-girl neighbors making and then trying on all their own halter tops, or my neighbors painting Dave Deal style dragsters on their bedroom walls.....the late 60's and early 70's were something Wink
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 21:50:45 pm by Mike Maize » Logged

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 22:31:05 pm »

I like your car Mike !
Was this picture taken in the Quaker Steak & Lube parking lot across from Ikea ?
I was just there a few days ago.
 Smiley
Mike Maize

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 00:34:57 am »

Hey Richard, Thanks and the picture was taken in Buckhorn PA 10 miles from my house, no Ikea's here but lots of horns on bucks..;>)
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 12:48:25 pm »

I hope I can give you all a ride in it at some point

I'll be in town the weekend of the 13-14, have the oil changed and the valves set...

One thing that Mike has not mentioned about the car, and you might be able to "get it" from the pics is that he took a lot of care to keep the car from looking like a "new build."  Almost every part on the car has a nice used look and feel to it.  Instead of the car being 3 or 4 years old built in the new milennium, it totally has that vibe of having been around for 30 years—or it will transport you back to 1979 when you see & touch it.  The seats, totally original like they were swapped right out of that British car...the chrome taillights, were pulled off a hammered Baja kit at a swap meet (and not polished afterwards, just wiped off with a dry rag)...even the linelock was "donated" by a modified-in-the-early-70s American car.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 14:40:57 pm »

AWESOME CAR.

Done ? Not Yet.
Sarge

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 14:53:47 pm »

I should tell you about all  the hippy-girl neighbors making and then trying on all their own halter tops...

WTF's the holdup?  Huh Grin

DKP III
Prowagen

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 16:14:44 pm »

I should tell you about all  the hippy-girl neighbors making and then trying on all their own halter tops...

LMAO I was thinking the same thing, Mike, I hope you have pictures of this private fashion show Cheesy
Mike Maize

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 20:10:00 pm »

LMAO I was thinking the same thing, Mike, I hope you have pictures of this private fashion show Cheesy
My 15 year old son has been checking in on this thread about dads car....soooo I gotta be good. But I'll tell you the mental pictures will last a lifetime Shocked
Prowagen

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 20:29:51 pm »

My 15 year old son has been checking in on this thread about dads car

I am sure your 15 year old won't mind, haha I know what I was like at 15! You'll have to save it for another day then Smiley
javabug

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2008, 00:13:07 am »

Hey Ian!  You sneak that FiOS cable up to your room finally?  I won't tell!   Cheesy Tongue

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Mike Maize

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2008, 03:03:23 am »

Thanks Mike, its a really good looking car love the gasser bits and the single paint colour its real clean and un cluttered looking.
Are the wings, decklid and bonnet all original???
I presume its a genuine 67 too?
Any interior shots?

Sorry to be so demanding  Smiley

Rob.

Finally some interior shots. I pulled the new "seat cover" out of my rag pile and did not have the heart to destroy it with grease... Wink
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:06:57 am by Mike Maize » Logged
Prowagen

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2008, 08:40:08 am »

Love the interior!

Whats the dash plaque???

Rob
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:01:41 am by Prowagen » Logged
Mike Maize

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2008, 11:23:52 am »

It is just an Empi "warning" repro sticker...
Sarge

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 12:48:09 pm »

Say, is that a KEG on the back firewall..., I'm thirsty Wink Grin

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2010, 20:06:25 pm »

ahh the warning of The Lounge,
"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic. "

yeah I want to comment.... the coolest thing about Mike's car.... just was thinking....
If one were to line up your typical "Cal Lookers" in a row, with their tidy paint, detailed to the hilt, BRM's, SB12's, fat biscuits otter pelt upholstery, etc etc.... and inserted Mike's car in the row, and then got a group of young "gearheads to be" 5-8 yr old boys to point out THEIR favorite VW in the group, you just know they'd be all over Maize's car.
Mike Maize

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2010, 21:33:06 pm »

It is coming out of storage next weekend! Wait till you see my new dash when I get it done, think 80's skateboard crossed with a fighter plane Wink Jim it is that "age of awe" at fast/custom cars that I followed when I screwed it all together. It still gets me wound up when I pull the cover off of it too.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2010, 21:51:46 pm »

fat biscuits otter pelt upholstery

I just lol'd all over my 'puter.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
javabug

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2010, 23:44:03 pm »

It is coming out of storage next weekend!

I didn't think you still owned it?   Tongue

I just lol'd all over my 'puter.
 Grin

+1 for Mark.  That was funny.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 17:33:51 pm »

Looks like the Auto Haus logo  Grin
LOL..I was thinkin the same thing too !!!....gotta admit....Your car has grown on me ....Nice...!!!...must feel good to be different !

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: