The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 16:59:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Roll cage..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Roll cage..  (Read 5070 times)
kev d

« on: August 03, 2008, 20:54:15 pm »

Wondering what the requirements were for a cage in a 10 sec street legal bug were?
Can you build it yourself as long as you use the correct tube? Huh
Cheers,
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 21:41:40 pm »

10 sec eh  Huh what you up to Kev  Wink

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
kev d

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 22:13:33 pm »

See 'project 55' in `da works`... Wink
Been having a good poke about it & decided its rustier than the titanic Shocked
Lots of `glass & single skinning the way ahead methinks.. either going to race it or baja it Shocked
10secs...might as well plan ahead Wink

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Austin Larsen

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 04:54:34 am »

u can build it yourself
you just have to ask yourself do u trust your life to your welding skills

Kiel

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 16:18:45 pm »

Here is a tlf: for a guy in Sweden who makes Roll cages for a living.

I have bought one and i think it is very good. 3800dkr.

tlf: 0046702921708

www.svetsosmide.se

The webside is not working at the moment.

Regards Thomas Kiel

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 16:20:56 pm by Kiel » Logged
kev d

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 18:15:03 pm »

u can build it yourself
you just have to ask yourself do u trust your life to your welding skills

Been welding @22 years so yes I do.
Cheers,
Kev
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 18:16:34 pm by kev d » Logged

kev d

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 18:17:49 pm »

Here is a tlf: for a guy in Sweden who makes Roll cages for a living.

I have bought one and i think it is very good. 3800dkr.

tlf: 0046702921708

www.svetsosmide.se

The webside is not working at the moment.

Regards Thomas Kiel

Thanks Thomas Cool

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 19:10:17 pm »

Kev have a word with Frank A.K.A. White Trash before you do anything  Wink

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
kev d

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 21:12:45 pm »

Will do matey, is he on the lounge?

Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 23:01:44 pm »

Will do matey, is he on the lounge?

he's on here from time to time, try Boom Boom he'll have his number  Wink

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
flatfire

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 23:03:02 pm »

Ken Blomer   Automanics

Or if you want I will send you an MSA handbook if you PM your address. Also I'm only down the road and you can come and have a look at a 10 second tagged cage done by Jon Rathone.
kev d

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 07:52:04 am »

Cheers Pete Cool

richie

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 20:36:29 pm »

Kev,
if you buy the tubing from a recognised source[chassis or cage builders] then you shouldnt have any issues with tubing size or quality,as you know from the underdog,you can buy pre bent cages that you finish fit & weld yourself,its cheaper to buy a cage kit from the states but there rules are different to ours and you need to be more carefull what you are getting.

You will need a minimum 6 point cage with door bar,with harness/seat support bar,ideally the rear down bars would be tied to the frame forks and depending on method of horsepower,2 more bars tied to the rear torsion housing,the floor plates need to be welded and minimum 6inch square but can be shaped to follow the contours or body or pan

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
kev d

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 00:08:33 am »

Thanks for the advice ritchie, much appreciated Cool

Cheers,
Kev

Neil Davies

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 09:31:48 am »

Looking at the build up (cut apart!) pics of Project 55, I think I'd add a few more bars to brace the cage to the spine, make the body just something to keep the rain off...

As you've removed the original front bulkhead you'll need a dash bar, but this can be smaller diameter than the other tubes, same as the shoulder bar - 1" springs to mind, but don't quote me on that!

I'd add some sill bars in (think they are necessary for an 8.50 tag?) and then take the bars further forwards still - Matt Keene has done this all the way to the beam, which allowed him to remove the front of the heater channels forwards of the door posts. If you take bars higher up from just under the dash to the beam as well, in theory you could remove the frame head too! I'd also take some smaller bars from the sill bars to the spine, to use as seat mounts.

At the back it all depends on what you want to do - I'd brace the B-post hoop back to the ends of the torsion bars, and tie a Kafer cup type brace into the shock towers and frame horns as far back as you can, and have the two rear bars of the cage going back onto that.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
kev d

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 09:09:51 am »

Hi Neil thanks for the advice Cool

The plan now is for something pretty much as you`ve suggested, I took a lot of pics of matts car at the volksworld show & will probably rip off his ideas Grin

The only thing I need to decide on is if it will be built onto the pan with the body welded / bolted to tabs on the cage, or build the cage into the shell mounted off the heater channels.I`d like to build everything into the `pan & drop the body on last but I thought there was a bit of a grey area about this with scrutineering??

Anyway, I`ll be floating about on the caspian sea for the next 3-4 weeks & have plenty of time to think about it!

Cheers,
Kev

Adele AW

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 18:31:29 pm »

Kev there should be no issues with either way at scrutineering. As long as your cage and tie in points are the correct spec. Pro mod cars for example are a chassis with a body dropped on! And the other way is legal as that's how ours is being built by Chris Isaacs!

Steve

O/FF 621
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: