The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 04:35:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Drop spindles w/o narrowed beam?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Drop spindles w/o narrowed beam?  (Read 20759 times)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« on: September 03, 2008, 22:04:57 pm »

As I'm getting pretty tired off my ride comfort, with my avis adjusters on the one but last tooth, and also due to the dropping prices of these spindles I'm considering buying a set. Also, I'd like my front end to be just a tad lower. Now, can I run drop spindles without narrowing my front beam? I know it can be done when running Gasburners and perhaps other wheels as well...

I figure it depends on the offset of the wheels and I wouldn't know what ET my 4.5" KPZ wheels have. But I suppose the questions would be until what offset drop spindles can be used?

And perhaps there are any pics of lookers with a stock width beam that run drop spindles.

P.s. are welded drop spindles any good too?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 22:09:31 pm »

I ran J Tech Forge drop spindles (for a week) in 1988 or 89... with stock width adjustable beam (chrome!), my 5.5" Mangle wheels were pushed out about 15mm per side, and car was waaay too low so I went back to stock VW spindles and have had same setup since then. My car rides fairly smooth. Do you have the correct shock height for your set up Dieds?
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 22:14:02 pm »

I think I have yellow Magnetti Marelli gas shocks and they're pretty rough...

My brother runs CB spindles and his front is way low, but the adjusters were welded in too low. I don't think I will have that issue though...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 22:17:25 pm »

MM makes shocks?HuhHuhHuhHuh  Shocked
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 22:19:55 pm »

whoops, now i'm not that sure anymore... it's been a while since i last checked...

p.s. did you check your mail today? Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 22:31:39 pm »

I went back to stock VW spindles and have had same setup since then. My car rides fairly smooth.

What have you got to lower the front ? Only adjustable beam with og "non-dropped" vw spindles and short shocks ?

MM makes shocks?HuhHuhHuhHuh  Shocked

If I remember well it's Cofap that makes them, but indeed it's written also Magnetti Marelli on the shocks caps. I have a pair of those gas shocks at the rear, they are a little rough but they ride nicely. But I think they would be too rough for the front.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 22:43:18 pm by Nico86 » Logged

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 22:37:56 pm »

Measure the backspace of your front wheels.

It most likely will not fit though Undecided I have the original stock width beam under my GTV with CB dropped spindles, Koni shocks, 4.5" Sprint Stars (they have a whopping 4.5" of backspace!), and skinny 145's. Under hard cornering, or if I have extra passengers in the car, the tires rub Embarrassed I am hoping that a HD sway bar will help alleviate the problem. I probably should slightly narrow the beam, maybe a half inch on each side, but I really don't want to do that! Other than the slight rubbing problem, the car handles, rides, and stops very well Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 22:51:29 pm »

Does anyone know the ET of 4.5" KPZ wheels?
My brother has 5" sprint stars are in my opinion my wheels themselves are quite a bit narrower on the outside...

Perhaps these 2 photos are of any help?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 01:41:43 am »

Hard to tell from the pictures. Unbolt a wheel, turn it upside down, and place a straight edge across the lip of the wheel (not the tire!), from one end to the other. Measure the distance from the straight edge to the point where the wheel bolts up to the brake. That is your backspace.

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 06:09:43 am »

Great advice on the backspace, Zach. That's exactly correct. I was pleased to find out that using 2½" drop spindles (with drum brakes) with the early Flat Four BRM wheels and stock front beam width turned out how I envisioned it. The wheels/tires ended up where I wanted 'em. Which match the late '67 wide rear axles on my car. It only widened my front track width three eighths of an inch. Barely noticeable.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 06:23:36 am »

cool shot mark Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 07:31:27 am »

Died i think with the dropped spindles your wheels will rub a bit on the inner fenderlip.Dont know the offset of your wheels but as i remember your wheels are almost
on the edge.
What you can also do but this is not accurate meassure from the outer rim straight up to the fender and see how many mm you still have.
Remember that the spindle will bring your wheels out by 1.5cm.

Otherwise its a 2" narrowed beam option like Jeepee i guess. Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 09:28:15 am »

Died i think with the dropped spindles your wheels will rub a bit on the inner fenderlip.Dont know the offset of your wheels but as i remember your wheels are almost
on the edge.
What you can also do but this is not accurate meassure from the outer rim straight up to the fender and see how many mm you still have.
Remember that the spindle will bring your wheels out by 1.5cm.

Otherwise its a 2" narrowed beam option like Jeepee i guess. Cool
I run a sway-a-way and CB Perf dropped spindles on a stock width beam with Fuchs. No rubbing issues at all.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:05:15 am by yvre » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 10:55:43 am »

I run a sway-a-way and CB Perf dropped spindles on a stock width with Fuchs. No rubbing issues at all.

No, but difficulty to put the tow bar  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes(remind of kgm)  Grin Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 11:00:04 am »

that's what i mean mark. you say it's only 3/8" (.94cm) instead of 1.5cm. though i have discs i wouldn't know if this would differ then...

and i think my wheels don't come out that far. but 4.5" fuchs have more backspace i suppose...

thanks for the info so far! so, you all use forged CB spindles? what about those welded spindles?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Neil Davies

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:04:21 am »

that's what i mean mark. you say it's only 3/8" (.94cm) instead of 1.5cm. though i have discs i wouldn't know if this would differ then...

and i think my wheels don't come out that far. but 4.5" fuchs have more backspace i suppose...

thanks for the info so far! so, you all use forged CB spindles? what about those welded spindles?

I wouldn't use welded spindles - a friend had one break. This was over 10 years ago, when they were a fairly new idea.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 11:08:25 am »

whoops, good to know!

what's the story on these:

i got the image from Donder59's blog. it says that guillermo of DVF sells zero offset drop spindles... Huh

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 14:25:42 pm »

You just brought up two important factors... disc brakes and the Fuchs backspace. In my case, I have no rubbing issues with the way it's set up. And yes... forged spindles ONLY.

WOW! That's one great lookin' car!!! Love the running board covers and correct fender beading.

I've been looking for some Zenith Blau beading for my car.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 14:27:36 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 15:29:05 pm »

I run a sway-a-way and CB Perf dropped spindles on a stock width with Fuchs. No rubbing issues at all.

Do you run 135s or 145s?

yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 09:09:16 am »

Thanks for the comments.
I run Michelins XZX 145R15 at the front and XVS 185R15 at the back.
The front brakes are beetle discs drilled in the Porsche pattern.
LuftsickTero

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 11:09:06 am »

More backspace compared to what? You mentioned Gas Burners, I can measure the backspace tomorrow in garage for if you're going to run Gas Burners (or 4.5" - 6.0" Fuchs).

About the dropped spindles; which brand offers non-welded ones for king&link-pin style front axle?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
alex d

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 11:50:32 am »

a friend of mine is running cb disc spindles with 4,5 sprintstars on a 68 1200 standard, he had to smash the inner lip of the fender to avoid rubbing with 165/65 tyres.

Sarge

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 12:43:15 pm »

Touchy subject, for sure!  Yvre's photo shows how much negative offset there is with a Fuchs alloy..., you can get away with it and it looks great.  The wheels were designed for use with disc brakes (same as Gas Burners).  It's when you get away from that negative offset that causes the problems.  Look at the pic of Died's Sprint Stars now..., not that same negative offset as the Fuchs.  If it was me and I wanted to use the Sprint Stars, I'd narrow the beam a couple of inches, but that leaves you with a stiff handling (shorter torsion bars) front end.  It's hard to have your cake and eat it too.  From my own experiences, after all is said and done, I wish I'd kept a stock width beam with avis adjusters and dropped spindles..., but the lure of disc brakes and being able to stop as well as the 5" wide flat fours sent me to the narrowed beam.  Guess what, it STILL rubs once in a while. Sad  My $.02

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 13:27:57 pm »

This is one of those areas where time spent on mocking up, testing, measuring, and fitting pays off.  Sure, you can throw a bunch of parts together and it'll look fine and work adequately—the majority of people go this route.  The hard part is that it is time-consuming and often expensive to get the ideal setup on your car.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 18:28:40 pm »

Thanks for the comments.
I run Michelins XZX 145R15 at the front and XVS 185R15 at the back.
The front brakes are beetle discs drilled in the Porsche pattern.

Wow, no kidding. From what I remember, 4.5" fuchs have 100mm of backspace, while my 4.5" Sprints have 4.5" (114.3mm). Mine shouldn't rub, but it does! Maybe its just the old original torsion springs that I use?? Who knows...

Jeroen

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 19:01:58 pm »

also got no problems with fuchs and lot off comfort
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 20:59:32 pm »

i thought you had a narrowed beam jeroen?

chirco sells welded spindles...

i'm going for gasburners, it was merely an example Wink

serge, i don't think a stock beam with avis adjusters will give you the comfort you have right now. i now started using my 67 about 3 days a week to get to work as i moved to another town.

i could of course buy myself a pair of spindles whenever and mock them up and narrow if needed...

p.s. for some reason i don't feel i can corner hard, it's like the front end won't turn when going through 90 degree corners at say 25 instead 20. it's not like understeer though but it will have the same consequence Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Jeroen

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 21:06:30 pm »

nope no narrowed frontaxle. just a lowerd axle in combi with spindels.

no problem. and cornerimg? no problem Grin
christophe

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 21:27:07 pm »

whoops, good to know!

what's the story on these:

i got the image from Donder59's blog. it says that guillermo of DVF sells zero offset drop spindles... Huh

Now I'm intressed! Can you tell more about those? Link-pin or ball joint? Price?
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 01:04:07 am »

these were for a link pin car i presume -> donder59
but i'm interested as much as you are...

i know you don't have any difficulty cornering, jeroen. i do feel sorry for your ears with those screaming tyres on every roundabout  Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: