The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 15:47:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The Bill Schwimmer thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Bill Schwimmer thread  (Read 20028 times)
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« on: September 05, 2008, 06:15:48 am »

Bill, can you give us the histories of both the oval and the Club Car. The coral car is the most famous Cal Looker of all time and would be cool for people to hear about it, but I bet alot of people would love to hear about the oval , as well. Both cars on the short list of top Cal Lookers!

I also park at Nick's.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:27:44 am »

There's a whole chapter about this in a certain book...  Wink

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sarge

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:53:47 pm »

There's a whole chapter about this in a certain book...  Wink

What book?  Where can I get it?? Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 16:10:25 pm »

is it a how to guitar book KS?
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 16:17:38 pm »

Funny you should mention that, as I want to learn to play the guitar. My nephew is sponsored by Fender and can get me a storming deal on a new Strat...

Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 16:18:34 pm »

Funny you should mention that, as I want to learn to play the guitar. My nephew is sponsored by Fender and can get me a storming deal on a new Strat...

Cool
I want a Telecaster.
Bring your axe when you come out....
sheep

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 16:41:12 pm »

Can we see some pictures of the oval??? Shocked

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 16:44:52 pm »

Can we see some pictures of the oval??? Shocked

Sheep, I was thinking the same thing! Cheesy

Jim, KS, how about a guitar thread in Off Topic? I'll try to get a couple of pics of my Hendrix-alike burnt Strat! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 16:52:02 pm »

Russell

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 16:56:25 pm »

Bill won the Berg Cruise this year after how many years of trying.....

wonder why he never won before ?

Best Regards

Russell
deano

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 17:30:34 pm »

Please, please, buy a NEW Fender Strat? Would you buy a new VW? Hell no! If you are going to do it right, you have to own an early Fender, made in Fullerton, California, and not some late model wantabe! I played a 1965 Fender Jaguar sunburst in my day. Remember, this is an old school forum.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
ian c

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 17:39:27 pm »

true , but there is at least extra 0 on the price tag !!

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 18:03:36 pm »

Bill, can you give us the histories of both the oval and the Club Car. The coral car is the most famous Cal Looker of all time and would be cool for people to hear about it, but I bet alot of people would love to hear about the oval , as well. Both cars on the short list of top Cal Lookers!

What the squareback is not famous.. Grin
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 19:45:25 pm by ST DRAGN » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 18:06:34 pm »

Please, please, buy a NEW Fender Strat? Would you buy a new VW? Hell no! If you are going to do it right, you have to own an early Fender, made in Fullerton, California, and not some late model wantabe! I played a 1965 Fender Jaguar sunburst in my day. Remember, this is an old school forum.
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy But the price! I can't even play a guitar at all, yet (and probably never!).

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 18:11:23 pm »

Hey back on topic!   Angry Angry Angry

(Gibson Gibson Gibson Gibson)   Grin

Mike H.

Sven was right.
nicolas

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 19:49:41 pm »

more pics off the oval please and some specs.

and indeed fender are the best. i still hold dearly to my 70's jazzbass, and i let go the fender mustang bass because i needed some cash and wasn't too excited about the shorter bass... i am an idiot to have done that.

it looked like this:

Cornpanzer

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 20:47:34 pm »

I keep a 36"x36" poster of this pic on the ceiling above my bed!

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
nicolas

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 20:57:33 pm »

what was the best time off that pink doodle with the 1776?  Grin i may use it as an inspiration to set a goal for my car  Roll Eyes
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 01:23:38 am »

where's the oval? enlighten us bill!!

naah, if you're down for it KS get yourself a vintage paisley telecaster! you know they rock!!

but i'll have a vintage gibson es-355 if you don't mind.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 04:52:01 am »

Yeah thats what I hear.. Right next to the New Kids on the Block poster.. Thanks guys for the nice words. As for the Oval. Nao from Flat 4 knows of its location ,it is in good cond. less the wheels & he knows were those are. It was a great car, Absolutley stupid fast in its day, I am surprised it did'nt kill me back then. If that car could talk... there might be a book.
  My memory is starting to go ,but I think the sqbk ran somewhere in the 17's in that incarnation at Carlsbad. It was actually the motor out of Fred Elliot's '54 vert that I got from Glen G. I later added good heads and an Engle 130 , Mark V. from Berg's redid the 42's and it ran pretty good after that. I would say somewhere in the 15's   I will post some more later...  Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Cornpanzer

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 13:36:45 pm »

Yeah thats what I hear.. Right next to the New Kids on the Block poster..
yep, its my Bill Scwimmer shrine.  Few people know that Bill was the sixth member of the boy band back in the mid 80's.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 17:36:21 pm »

Lots of good times towing that car to the street race's and hanging with old friends

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Matt H

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 03:13:35 am »

Bill was also a ripping skater back in the day. I was cruising through an old skateboarder magazine and saw Bills name listed in the results column. Funny I went through a Pink car phase too. How goes the skatin Bill. They are building an unreal park 2 miles from my House. Google Riley Skatepark Farmington Hills, Mi. It's no Big O or Lakewood, but it will do
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 04:13:58 am »

Bill was also a ripping skater back in the day. I was cruising through an old skateboarder magazine and saw Bills name listed in the results column. Funny I went through a Pink car phase too. How goes the skatin Bill. They are building an unreal park 2 miles from my House. Google Riley Skatepark Farmington Hills, Mi. It's no Big O or Lakewood, but it will do
Now that was long time ago. I have'nt been going as much as I would like to, but I sneek out time and again. Its so frustrating when I skate now, my old potato shaped body does not want to follow direction, About all I can do anymore is kickturn & carve but I can hold my own doing that. Last week there was a get together at an old friends house from the Big O days & I have'nt seen some of them for many years. The mini reunion included myself,Glenn Gaskey,  Freddie DeSota , he skated for Variflex back in the day, & we were also roommates for a while, Eddie Meek, he skated for Santa Cruz & he still rips on his ancient gear, he, Freddie & I went to High School together. Mike Hirsch, another Variflex skater & he still rips, Jim Gray, he skated for G&S & he still rips, he did the longest most awesome frontside airs in the day, about 3 or 4 coping blocks long. I did'nt skate that night, it was way too much of a snake sesh, but it was fun watching. I even saw Mark "Fred"Kessenich there, he is still way into skating. When I step on my skate it is like my time machine...still magic no matter what level I skate at...  Bill
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 04:28:29 am by Bill Schwimmer » Logged

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
cameron shorey

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 07:12:11 am »

Bill Schwimmer? Who's that?

Horsepower, reliability, cheap... pick two.
Matt H

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 04:03:53 am »

OH NO THE VARIBOTS Grin. Wow Bill those guys were all rippers beack in the day. I remeber Jims model on G&S with the Mod guy graphics. Desoto and Hirsh were awesome skaters. I am with you I like to carve speed lines in the pools, small frontside airs and some lip tricks are about as good as I get these days.
Lanny Hussey

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 05:07:25 am »

Deans right..vintage all the way!
My number 1 is a 1963 Stratocaster, followed by a 77 Tele and a 65 Gibson J45..through Vox AC30's of course(check out my avatar)..Dean, that Jag is worth a few $'s now days!

1967, the only year that matters.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 06:03:16 am »

NICE!!!

Haven't seen a pic of the PEPTO Squareback in YEARS. Bill, do you or anyone else have pics of your orange Bug? Those were the two cars that you were driving when I first met you in the early '80s. Seeing that pic brings back great memories.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Bruce

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 07:41:09 am »

Deans right..vintage all the way!
My number 1 is a 1963 Stratocaster, followed by a 77 Tele and a 65 Gibson J45..through Vox AC30's of course(check out my avatar)..Dean, that Jag is worth a few $'s now days!
Hey, did you guys hear about Jimi's recently discovered "burnt" guitar that sold at auction?
Bruce

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 07:42:20 am »

Bill Schwimmer? Who's that?
I think I've heard of him.  Doesn't he own a German Folks car?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: