The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 13:53:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Optimum charge temperature...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Optimum charge temperature...  (Read 1935 times)
JLaw

« on: January 06, 2009, 19:58:18 pm »

A question that is proving quite difficult for me to get a straight answer to is, what is the optimum charge temp for my turbocharged engine. Do i want it a cold as possible or do I want to aim for 40 degrees which i have heard from some is the optimum temp. Im sure one of you guys must know!

Cheers John.
Airspeed

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 23:04:31 pm »

The colder the better, although there could be a point where fuel fall-out due to less evaporation at very low temps might give problems. This might be different for draw through set-ups as for efi set-ups..
Other than that, a cooler charge temp gets denser air in the engine, which is always good for more power. Hence the existance of intercoolers and chargecoolers  Wink

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 23:45:08 pm »

Cooler the better, get that air nice and dence.  My air temps are in the 20's on the start line and go up to 38 at the finish line. at that point the ecu isnt taking out any Fuel.

On My budies car, he starts in the 20's and finished in the 65's! at this temp the ecu is taking out 18% of the fuel. so thats 18% of potential power he's losing.

Cooler the better!

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
JLaw

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 22:29:11 pm »

Thanks guys, I'll go for the larger chargecooler option then...

Cheers John.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: