The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 10:49:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  and another squareback
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: and another squareback  (Read 29023 times)
nicolas

« on: September 05, 2008, 20:46:32 pm »

so i have my daily driven Peugot Partner totalled a week back and now it looks like i will be driving type3's as a daily driver. so i have the fastback on the road, but the square will have a revamp and be the true family car for the moment. it won't be a 100% resto as funds do not allow, but it may have some nice bits and pieces added to it just to make it look a bit better.
it is also a 67 square that was repainted some years ago in its original VW blue colour and still has all the original trim and seats except for the carpet. so i want to get a good set some day. but there are a million things to do first.
the car has been in the family for 5 years and has been found when at the bugshow at Spa, when i was looking for parts for the fastback. we called the seller ( a lady in Wallifornia) and met up with her to see the car. the car sat on its orignal hight up front, but way too low at the back, but it was love at first sight. the car had already been repainted at the time but was showing some small rustspots already. we bought it. and it was nice to have a car that was still in one piece to see how everything would fit together since the fastback was unbolted to the last screw.
so Jonas, the name we gave it after a Weezer song, has taken us on some nice and very long trips through France, Spain, Italy and England over the years.
But i wanted to update the suspension and changed the chasis to IRS. that was a big mistake as it never felt as good as the swingaxle it originaly had. that is because the brackets were welded in wrong. also the pan had some small holes in it after sandblasting it and insted off welding them up the guy who worked on it welded a flat square piece off metal on the ribs. needless to say i discovered it after the powdercoating... so now i have a new pan all done nicely and that will go under it to replace the bogus one.
the car is close to stock now and i plan on using the 1500 engine i bought from Russell this summer as it really is all fresh and good. i may still try to update it to dual carbs, but that is for later.
for now i will try to swap all the front beam and backfork to the other pan, install the brakes and get the runninggear in order asap. then transfer the body and hopefully have a waterthight car that will get our family around.

i have mentioned an Empi inspired sqaurback and i still like the idea or a formula Vee inspired car is also an option, but i'll need more parts to get that done. i have a flat4 steeringwheel and a empi EZR shifter that can go in the car. maybe some 8 spokes or a set off riviera's will follow.
the latter are almost cleaned up so i think those will be fitted first.

that's it for now. hope you like what we do.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 20:52:08 pm by nicolas » Logged
Mario/DKT

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 20:54:09 pm »

cool. another 67 in da werks... Smiley Cheesy

Mario/DKT

ian c

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 21:14:40 pm »

me likey !!!

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 21:27:39 pm »

White interior, dark windows... Very pimp!  Wink

Glitter don't make you faster.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 22:58:30 pm »

but you'had the riviera before Huh
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 23:00:32 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
kev d

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 15:51:22 pm »

Can never have too many T3`s Cool

More fun to drive than the peugeot too Wink

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 16:04:40 pm »

More fun to drive than the peugeot too Wink

For sure, nice square Cool.

nicolas

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 21:20:24 pm »

hey thanks all for the nice comments. the tinted window was done because we sleep in the car and curtains look a little too trailerpark...  Grin
i liked it, but it may be redone properly or change a bit in the future.
thanks for posting up the pics Fabs, i completely forgot about those. that was a year ago or even more, when the car was still driven and it had indeed riviera's at the time. but those were fakes and now i have a set that is much nicer and doesn't have the bump on the spokes. sometking in between fatlips and the bump ones...

so i got to work this weekend and i took out the fork at the back and cleaned it up a bit and i was taking the IRS setup out as well. stupid me forgot to losen the 36mm nuts when the car still had a trans so now it is all in one piece and i can't get the damn screw off...  Roll Eyes

so the nice chasis is waiting and i have taken a few bits and pieces out off the car to make the swap. when i look at the pics Fabs has put up i really want to have that car back on the road. but no more skinny 145's at the front for a type3. it worked all OK untill you have to break hard. so the plan is to have two riviera's fitted with 165 tires and see if they fit the front (another reason to have bought real riviera's, they have a different ET, so i am told).
i also cleaned and polished the riviera's lips and i did the (2) 8 spokes i have as well. not all perfect as i only had 800 grit sanding paper. but that can and will be done later. for now they look good enough for me. they are painted gold allready. that might look good as well on the blue squareback...  Undecided

anyway that is the reason why i  am not as much on here as i used to be... but that is a good thing right  Grin
ian c

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 03:58:10 am »

just noticed something ....
what does that say on your windscreen ??

MY NAME IS .............

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
nicolas

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 19:17:33 pm »

just noticed something ....
what does that say on your windscreen ??

MY NAME IS .............

my name is jonas. that's a weezer song. we liked it and on a trip we wanted to make a dark foil band on the front window but messed up the tape and we cutout the letters with a pocketknife and stuck it on the windshield. it's been there ever since and the name off our car will always be Jonas. it looks like  crap now so i might take it off, but i want something to let people know who he is...
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 19:56:33 pm »

Grin

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JmIhZYCMgvI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/JmIhZYCMgvI</a>

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 20:33:48 pm »

Mhh, that's why you where not here so much for the moment.  Wink

Looks to be a fun family ride.

nicolas

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 21:46:12 pm »

got a bit off work done on the car this weekend. put in the main brakeline and got the spindles off the old chasis. i am transfering everything to a new chasis as the old one was done a bit crappy. it can be safed but i have a powdercoated one right there and it is way better, not to mention near perfect for a type3 chasis.

so now i need to remove the 36mm nut from the axles that are not on the car anymore and i can't get them fixed/ held down to loosen them...  Roll Eyes so i need to find a way to do that. and hopefully i can get the rear springplates to fit the swingaxle trans wednesday and check the trans for leaks and all that and fit it in a few weeks.

other than that i was toying with the idea off a formula vee type3, but a empi one looks so cool!!! i have been looking for a c-stripe kit (cheap, it is on a budget) and i would love to have it in GOLD... that way it would look good with the yellow lights and if i fit the empi 8 spokes from the fastback it sure would look tits  Cool. i have heard off such a kit but never seen one and i wonder how the stripes on the hood and rest off the car look as the garnish off the interiour... are there any pics available at all off such a car?

like i said before it is not a 100% resto, but i might as well make something nice out off it while i am at it.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 02:56:34 am »

Have the C-Stripe kit painted on, that way it can conform to the lines of the squareback Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Neil Davies

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 13:11:58 pm »

I've seen a C-stripe kit on a fastback, but it was a black and white picture. Jon Abbot at JAVA did a run of C-stipe kits, and I think Flat Four do them too. They might do them in gold.  Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
nicolas

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 22:00:52 pm »

yeah i have thought about painting them, but i want to make sure it will look good. i wanted to mess around with the type3selecta thing but i haven'st figured out how to do it.

so what have i been doing? well i have opened up a box today and in it was the nice header that was brought to my attention by KS...

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,6503.0.html

and it looks good and i hope to be able to get the 1600 rebuild going and fit it, to hear how it sounds and how it looks on the car. it was said it won't fit, but it looks like it will.

so i need to get some funds to get the parts for the engine rebuild and do that in a few weeks hopefully.

maybe not the best place to have this discussion but what is the big difference between a W100 cam and a VZ14 cam. i am leaning towards the VZ one, but not yet for sure.
car will be stock 67 square and the engine will be mostly stock with the header and the twin carb setup.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 22:05:15 pm »

The VZ cam is noisy and will beat the tar out of your lifter bores. They were made so you can get high lift out of stock rockers, so all of the lift is at the cam. The 100 is the better choice.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 16:49:35 pm »

thanks for the help on the cam. i will use a W100 and hopefully that will work best. i wasn't really thinking about the heads that need to be able to flow all the air and fuel as well so no need to go highlift as they will be stock and only be cleaned up.

so i have been doing some work over the weekend as the engine on the fastback started to leak some oil last week and i thought it would be best to check that first and not go to Bitburg and maybe get in trouble there.

so i looked at the cyclone header and muffler i bought and it will fit the type3 perfectly. it really is a nice piece off work. other then drooling over old (s)carp  Grin i also did some work on sunday and got to work on the transmission. i wanted to fit it all to the fork, but i still haven't got the right springplates. the guy i ordered them from came up with a set off short nosed ones and not the type3 stuff with the longer nose. first i thought it would not be a problem as i could use beetle torsionbars, but on closer inspection i found out that my square has a couple off 'extra features' and has original 23 mm bars insted off the normal 21mm. so it has a loadcapacity off 465kg. so what i did do was clean the trans  and strip the axles and clean up the axles itself. i put them on the turningmachine off my father in law and polished the rougher part off the axles. i did it to see if there is going to be any benefit from that. i have read about it in older magazines and books, but never heard off any benefit. it was all done with sanding paper and patience, but they look a lot slicker now. so next week i hope to have them fitted with the onepiece booths and bolted all back together and have the drums installed. hope it all goes to plan. i also installed the original rubbers, they were in good shape but i swapped them for the red urethane ones years ago, but now it all seems like a foolish idea. so i went back to the original stuff and i'll add a camber compensator.

speaking off that i have two options. 1. simply put on the compensator that fits under the gearbox (like the empi style) or 2. rebuild and refit the original Z bar. the latter means i have to find/fab the rings that are welded on the arms again as i removed those years ago because they started to rust and the grommets on the bar were gone. i don't know what is better, so any help is as always appreciated. 

i am also looking for the exact placement off the decals on a type3 (empi stripes and garnish) i can figure out where the 2 emblems go on the front quarters, but not the tird one (on the trunk??? and where then??? ) and the garnish off the hood and side or is that another word for the trim off the type3??? so litlle info on empi type3's out there. maybe pimpride could help as he is building one himself and mostlikely has a good source off info on the subject.

also what is the maplight and where does the sigaretlighter go?

i have probally made my mind up to go with the empi theme and not the formula vee theme, even that the wheels are 'wrong' but it looks like i have more empitrim on the car allready like the gravellguards and shifter.

so all opinions/ comments are appreciated, as i have made up my mind about what i do, but i want to make it as 'good' as possble. it never was or will be a full squareback GTV, but if i can make it more look like one and still like it, why not try?

nicolas

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 13:53:43 pm »

so i have been working on the chassis for some weekends now and this is what i have done so far.

took off all the parts from the other chassis (front beam, brakes,...) and cleaned them up a bit and fitted it all to the new pan. i also fitted the wheels to see if there were no clearance issues with the brakes. they fit. so next week i need to fit  the rearfork and trans, shifter and do all the brakes.

kev d

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 14:39:36 pm »

Looks like you`ve been busy Grin
Does the body need any work or can you swap it straight over?
Cheers,
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
nicolas

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 20:07:29 pm »

hey thanks for looking at the post Kev!

the body doesn't need much as it looks like the pics when it is outside. only one scratch at the front fender that can be fixed easily i hope and the rear lid has the seperate licenseplate lighthousing. so i have always seen the car like this, even in pics taken before i had the car, but i think it is wrong. it needs one in onepiece. so i have bought one together with NOS lens, holder and seal, but not yet brought it to the painter as i am still not sure  about the correct logo on the lid and in what direction it should stand (diagonal or straight). but i am planning it to have it all done sooner or later.

the body itself is good, but has a few repairs done to it, but the wings are new and the fronts are swapped for fibreglass ones. the paint was done a two years ago, but is far from perfect (considering showstandards) but i would say it had a factory finish to it. good, but not perfect.

so if someone has a spare set off C-stripes on the shelf, please do let me know. thanks
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 11:10:52 am »

jonny @ JAVA has them on the shelf Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
nicolas

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 12:08:29 pm »

jonny @ JAVA has them on the shelf Grin

thanks i mailed him to see what he's got.
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 14:24:19 pm »

Nice work there! Wink

Glitter don't make you faster.
vwcab

peter

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 12:11:29 pm »

So Nicolas,how is your squareback-project going on?
Oh yes,I saw you this morning(10 o'clock) cruising through my hometown(Paal-Beringen)  Shocked .I stood alongside the road (with a VW Lupo with trailer).I did't know there is so much to see(allé vw related)  Huh
It's great to see that Fastback CRUISIN'.Very nice car!!!
                                                                              Grtz,Peter

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
nicolas

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 21:04:14 pm »

Oh yes,I saw you this morning(10 o'clock) cruising through my hometown(Paal-Beringen)  Shocked .I stood alongside the road (with a VW Lupo with trailer).I did't know there is so much to see(allé vw related)  Huh
                                                                              Grtz,Peter

BUSTED!

yes i passed this morning. will do the same thing tomorrow again.  Grin

and thank you for the nice comment, now i have proof that it is not a trailerqueen. i wanted to take a pic this morning off the car with all the carparts in it and no passengerseat, but a enginecase insted, but i forgot... 
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 00:41:53 am »

Grtz,Peter

BUSTED!

yes i passed this morning. will do the same thing tomorrow again.  Grin

and thank you for the nice comment, now i have proof that it is not a trailerqueen. i wanted to take a pic this morning off the car with all the carparts in it and no passengerseat, but a enginecase insted, but i forgot... 

Dam right dude - trailers are for boats  Wink Smiley I'll take a pic next time i go shopping in the Manx  Cheesy

Is that case for your new 1641 Huh

You either "Get It" or you don't......
nicolas

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 07:14:22 am »

yep that is the one. i'll hope to be able to give a few more details by the end of this week. but right now i am cleaning all the parts and hoping all other parts are delivered. some more work is to be done by the end off this week on the chassis as well.
nicolas

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 17:52:13 pm »

Ok it has been a while, like most project things do tend to take a bit longer then they should...

so the chasis is all done and the body is allready on it. i had some help after the the chasis pics were taken and it bolted everything back and it all looks good.
for now i installed the old 1500 engine to see if eveything is working, but the header wouldn't fit (on the fastback it was ok on this one it doesn't clear the apron...) so i have try-fitted the blue one and that looks really good.

i also put back in  the rearseat and  connected the brakes, electrics,... so the car could/should be ready somewhere next week so i can take it out for a spin and see if nothing falls off.  Grin

kev d

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 20:51:23 pm »

Looks like you`ve been busy then Wink
Out for EBI3?
Cheers,
Kev

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: