The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 10:56:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  and another squareback
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: and another squareback  (Read 29045 times)
nicolas

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 09:49:29 am »

Looks like you`ve been busy then Wink
Out for EBI3?
Cheers,
Kev

hopefully sooner!

although i have to say the innerfenders need a bit off work. but i don't have the panels or the skill to make them. nothing too serious though, but they need to be addressed in the future. but for now the pan is all done and it can be driven.

just in case someone has these panels lying around i will need the part that is behind the back off the rear wheels. the bottom end where the waterexitslots are are rusted. a usuall water and rusttrap on a type3... so i will have to take off the fenders on a later date and get that section done... but it holds for now.

nicolas

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 12:15:16 pm »

after a hard days work tuesday i finished the block and took it home. i was supposed to stop at VWcab's place but i was frozen from head to toe and in desperate need for a hot shower. i still am not completely melted from that day. you gotta love working on cars in winter...   Roll Eyes

anyway, the engine swap will hopefully be done in the next few weeks and hopefully this thing will be as nice as i imagine it will be.

Mags

2,2L 577Hk.

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 12:25:43 pm »

Happy new year
i hope i will see you Bug In with my Fastback

Magne
mychatype3

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 12:53:09 pm »

hopefully sooner!
although i have to say the innerfenders need a bit off work. but i don't have the panels or the skill to make them. nothing too serious though, but they need to be addressed in the future. but for now the pan is all done and it can be driven.
just in case someone has these panels lying around i will need the part that is behind the back off the rear wheels. the bottom end where the waterexitslots are are rusted. a usuall water and rusttrap on a type3... so i will have to take off the fenders on a later date and get that section done... but it holds for now.
[/quote]

He Nicolas,

Maybe i can help, I have a part of a nos innerfender  Roll Eyes laying around, mail me your e-mail adres too kim-mycha@home.nl and i send some piqs.

Greetings mycha

1968 fastback "in resto"
1970 Westfalia from the States
vwcab

peter

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 13:21:57 pm »

@ nicolas,good luck with the engine swap(I've sent you a mail   Wink ,I hope you're not froozen anymore)
@mychatype3,are you gonne make a topic about your "68 fasty-turbo"?
Grtz,Peter
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 13:36:16 pm by vwcab » Logged

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
mychatype3

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 12:28:03 pm »

@mychatype3,are you gonne make a topic about your "68 fasty-turbo"?
Grtz,Peter

Sorry not yet............... Wink first some other things to do  Undecided before i can start working on the "fasty"
Greetings mycha

Nicolas, square chassis looks good if you need parts let me now.

1968 fastback "in resto"
1970 Westfalia from the States
nicolas

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 19:16:41 pm »

allright things have grinded to a halt over the past few months altough things were being planned.

so a quick update.

- today i got my enginetin back, all nicely powdercoated in black for a facory finish look.
- the carbs are going to be cleaned and the plan is to pick them up in two weeks.
- the choice off wheels is made...
- and i thought i had a set off replacement parts for the rear quarters, but the parts i wanted to use are not in that good shape either. so Mycha, i will be mailing you soon with some detailed pictures off what i need. i haven't forgotten about your email or offer, i haven't been to the garage were the car is in a month.

pics will follow.
nicolas

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2009, 19:58:11 pm »

so with the newly painted tins i got an itch to work on the car again and finish the engine this weekend.

i had some work done and repainted a few bits and pieces. all was going well until i wanted to turn over the engine and the crank was stuck  Shocked Huh Shocked

so i went over  the steps i did and found out that the coolhousing (the big one) was interfering with the coolingfan. it couldn't be centered as it should be and so i had to take all the pulleys and fans back off (crafted a pulley puller in the process to take off the cumbersome fan on a type3)
the housing is in bad shape and needs replacement, so i am after one for a 12v engine now. i had a very nicely powdercoated one, but the front part is 12v and the back is 6v... so that will not work. only saw it now i took it out off the garage, after it has been powdercoated and been laying there for a year or so. so that was the end off that plan for this weekend.
hopefully i will be able to get the missing parts, have them cleaned up a bit and fitted next weekend. then i'll also will have the refurbished carbs hopefully so i can fit everything and fire this baby up.

so the parts i am missing at the moment:

- type3 clamp for the distributor
- cooling tin (aluminium part in 12v)
- angled type3 leads ( i have never owned a set, but those would look really good on this engine and would work so much better with the enginelid, so if you have a set please PM me.)

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 20:18:15 pm »

nice work  nicolas  Wink

i see that the belgian are working on their cars today  Grin Grin Grin

fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
nicolas

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 20:23:26 pm »

nice work  nicolas  Wink

fabs

valentine weekend i guess  Lips Sealed Tongue
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 20:36:40 pm »

nice work  nicolas  Wink

fabs

valentine weekend i guess  Lips Sealed Tongue

Grin Grin Grin Grin i work by night and she work morning and afternoon no time for the valentine days  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 18:22:35 pm by speedwell » Logged

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 21:01:48 pm »

nice work  nicolas  Wink

fabs

Yes, lot's of work to get the car(s) ready for the beginning of the VW season.
And those wiring work makes me crazy  Cheesy (Wiring are made in USA, so with US specs, not exactly the same as Euro specs for turn signal and parking lights...)
nicolas

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 21:21:49 pm »

Grin

after i discovered the fan gripping on the housing i had a similar face.
kev d

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2009, 22:12:14 pm »

Grin

counting to ten & walking away works for me.. Roll Eyes

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
vwcab

peter

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2009, 12:44:35 pm »

Grin

For me too,exept counting to ten   Grin   Grin   Grin
 Wink Peter

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
nicolas

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 13:02:07 pm »

well my greatest goal in life next to being a good dad, is in fact become a patient person... Oh well i can always dream.  Roll Eyes Grin
Bluebel

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2009, 19:20:37 pm »

I was about to offer you the tin wear and then realised you were in Belgium  Sad. i have two spare 12v Type 3 motors still in my garage. Cry
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2009, 19:52:50 pm »

Grin

Or just SMASH something with a 4lb hammer  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
nicolas

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2009, 20:25:17 pm »

well i haven't smashed anything except i broke the type3 fan pulley i fabbed. it was crooked and broke on the crank when i wanted to pull off the fan... yeah it was a bad day. counting to 10 helped. got my cool back and made a better one and pulled the fan off no problem.

i installed a new coolhousing after a lot off trial an error and the thermostat like it should be and i was happy. allthough plans were to finish everything today.

then i found out that the distributor gear on a type3 is on a 60° angle insted off parallell on a type1 so that is really handy with the original distributor, but NOT with a 019 or 010 (more agravation there, but i think i have a solution) so these beauties can not be fitted like this and i am unable at the moment to get a puller. might need to buy one.
but i do have a scat (similar distributor to mallory) single coil distributor that could fit the bill for now.

so no point in showing pictures, as the engine has less parts on it now.

good news as well regarding the angled wires, i found two angled fittings, so three more to go.

I was about to offer you the tin wear and then realised you were in Belgium  Sad. i have two spare 12v Type 3 motors still in my garage. Cry

thanks for the offer, i wish i could have picked them up, but lets see if i can make this one work.
nicolas

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 21:09:15 pm »

allright the engine is allive. fired it up last weekend, but the carbs were very unhappy and i didn't get much done except catch the desease off Bell (look it up it is funny to see the pics, that is if you don't have it...  Roll Eyes)
anyway, i got back to work today and bled the brakes (had some exercise on Fabs car on saturday, so i could do it right on mine  Grin) and got the engine running. even went for a quick drive around the block, but the carbs are not as good as i thought they would be. they were fully rebuild and that was the 'extra' i wanted to do on the engine. seems like this is not working out as it should.
the glasspack muffler on the other hand is quite loud  Grin but with a very nice sound to it. i like that. if someone can help with a nice cyclone header sticker that would be very nice.

nicolas

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2009, 21:23:08 pm »

and the pics.

vwcab

peter

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 23:07:47 pm »

So I see Nicolas,you're almost finished.Good work,then I can see it in a few days?  Grin
c.u.   Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 23:33:00 pm »

and the pics.

NICE HEADER DUDE Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Mario/DKT

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2009, 12:26:52 pm »

You have the correct fender beading's i see... Grin

Mario/DKT

nicolas

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2009, 13:39:39 pm »

You have the correct fender beading's i see... Grin

Mario/DKT

i do !!!  Grin

thank you for those. i only installed the small parts yet though. more to be done in the following weeks i hope.

seems like the squarebacks are cursed as both you and me seem to have been delayed in our projects due to illness...
nicolas

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2009, 18:33:36 pm »

ALLRIGHT!!!!

i am quite happy today.

i went to the automobile inspection and got a greencard! so that is good.

only the corrosion on the bottom off the reararches was a bit off a downside (but i will try to find the parts and replace them.)

and (this is quite funny), i got a extra paper that lists the 'alterations regarding tuning'  Grin

- sidewindows and back windows tinted
- wheels and tires (as they are not stock)

i love these things
i will try  to make some pics and post them for those who care.

nicolas

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2009, 08:00:37 am »

/

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2009, 08:09:05 am »

looks good with the riviera , good job  Wink

vwcab

peter

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2009, 09:30:20 am »