The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 08:53:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  and another squareback
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: and another squareback  (Read 28986 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2009, 11:34:11 am »

Hmmmmm Sexy  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2009, 12:53:18 pm »

Good job Nicolas.  Wink
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2009, 19:51:51 pm »

Looks good on Rivieras ! Cool

nicolas

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2009, 07:45:47 am »

thank you all for the nice comments. maybe the front needs to go up a little with the 165/80 tyres.
nicolas

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 17:44:20 pm »

allright, i don't know but i think the riviera's are maybe not the 'best' wheel for this car. so if anyone wants these feel free to PM me and make me an offer. the grey off the spokes is not contrasting enough with the blue (it works like a charm on a sepia brown latemodel, but not with the blue)

i do have another option, but haven't got around to do that yet.

i have another question btw: where would a maplight be installed in a type3? i know they were fitted in Holmes/Andersons car but i never saw a picture off one in a type3, but it is listed as an option on a GTV type3?

nicolas

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2009, 08:20:50 am »

so i had the engine out for the 3th time in 3 weeks. it started with a slipping clutch and much shatter. so that was replaced and worked fine, till the gearbox started leaking from the seal in the bellhousing. so it came out again.
the problem didn't stop and the gearbox was leaking badly by now. so i had it replaced with another one that just went in this weekend. it was a lot off work and it took me two attempts to do it right (hopefully as i haven't run the car yet). why did i do it twice, well easy. it seems the hockeystick on a type3 is different as the coupler is fixed with a screw from the underside and not from the top like a  beetle. even if the lever has two holes, it won't fit as the holes are offset differently and will not fit. so i had to take it out again.

and the engine had a CR from 11  Roll Eyes so that needs to be fixed as well
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2009, 23:39:34 pm »

Hi Nicolas, are you still selling your set of Rivieras ?

nicolas

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2009, 06:07:52 am »

yes i do. PM me with an offer for 5 wheels.

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2009, 19:52:38 pm »

yes i do. PM me with an offer for 5 wheels.

Roll Eyes mmm I don't really know what they worth, pm me how much you're asking ! Wink

nicolas

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2009, 13:44:06 pm »

wow what a week!

so i did most off the driving last week in the fastback (finally took it to EBI), but i had some great fun in the square as well.

i got the engine installed two weeks ago, but not been able to drive it. Cin did and she told me something about it making noise there and not doing that so, and so on. so insted off taking the fastback to Pat's open day last week i took the squareback and it drove OK. still not great, but very economical. no real punch or acceloration can be felt, but that has been taken care of now. the jets in the original carbs are a bit bigger and i swapped the distributor for a 019 now and it seems to work. i need to do some testdriving to be completely sure off course  Grin

the wheels were sold and now i am running on original rims again (with way too skinny 155 tyres allround, but it is fun so far.) maybe, just maybe i can pick up the other wheels this week and fit them somewhere next week.

i also had to fix one seal on the back wheels as it was bent and gearbox oil was really dripping badly  Roll Eyes. but that was fixed today and i hope to enjoy it for a few miles now without too much trouble.

if someone has some pics off the car at PAT's or from the cruisenight please post them up or send them to me. thanks
wolfswest

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2009, 14:13:51 pm »

ahh, so it wasn't the cam installation that was wrong, pheewww  Smiley

enjoy it!

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2009, 14:42:02 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
nicolas

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2009, 16:45:43 pm »

thanks. i knew i could count on you for having one.

and

in the department of less pleasant/ more unpleasant news, i just got off the phone with the tyreshop and it looks like one 8 spoke just blew. no one got hurt, it happend at night, but the back half is shot. don't know which rim it was, but i'll collect them tomorrow. guess i am looking for 2 back halves now...
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2009, 16:49:51 pm »

that sucks! but why are they at the tyreshop? glad it didn't happen on the motorway a few days ago then, right?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
nicolas

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2009, 16:55:32 pm »

that sucks! but why are they at the tyreshop? glad it didn't happen on the motorway a few days ago then, right?

they are there to fit the tyres. haven't had them on the car yet. these are the ones i picked up at VoWo... but i will see what happened tomorrow. maybe they mounted them incorrect, maybe the rim was not fixed,... we'll see. i'll post some pics.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2009, 16:55:48 pm »

thanks. i knew i could count on you for having one.

and

in the department of less pleasant/ more unpleasant news, i just got off the phone with the tyreshop and it looks like one 8 spoke just blew. no one got hurt, it happend at night, but the back half is shot. don't know which rim it was, but i'll collect them tomorrow. guess i am looking for 2 back halves now...

mount your tyres by yourself , easy then the machine
remember the problem is there's no throat in the wheels for tyres  Roll Eyes (hope you understand) The tire is too much tightened is do not take its place around the rim

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Turtle001

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2009, 17:06:21 pm »

been there ... done that ... kaboom there goes an empi

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
nicolas

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2009, 17:17:10 pm »

so here are some pics. the empi wheel was really a hazard as the lip just fell off mounting the wheel and on the other side a similar large crack is seen. it just was not useable like this. so that is a big bummer.

on the other side, i finally had the time to test the Empi tach i bought a while back and that travelled the better part off european shows the last weeks, but that turns out to be a good one. it will need a lot off dusting off and cleaning, but reads steady and correct.

nicolas

« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2009, 14:27:53 pm »

well it has been a long long time since i posted something for this project, but i have been driving the car everyday since i got it back on the road.

but it had the fastbacks 1776 engine in it as the 1641 was 'troublesome' and didn't perform in any good way.

so i took the engine to a shop to have a look at it and help me diagnose what the problem is and what there is to do.
so that was more then 2 months ago and i thought the holidays were a good time to fix what needs to be fixed and get the engine back in the squareback. so that didn't work out, as there was nothing done to the engine, not even a checkup or test on the dyno. and meanwhile i bought 2 new carbs (well not NOS, but sold as near NOS  Roll Eyes)
so i took it home last week and i fitted them after a quick setting and fired the engine up on a makeshift stand. it ran, but the carbs were no good, they flooded, ran poorly, basically ran like $%it.

so i took a look at what i have and i start to have 'dark' ideas.

i happen to have a box with 8 carbs in it for a type 3 and two more on the engine. so if i had payed all these sets a reasonable 200 euros i would be more then halfway in buying Matts (alltorques) turbosetup...
the drawback is that it fits a type1 engine and not a type3, but the more i fiddle with these stupid carbs the more there is a call for turbo, EFI and cranktrigger ignition.

it just would make more sense, eqspecially when i look at this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qLR46klwcrM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/qLR46klwcrM</a>

yes even for a 1600...  Roll Eyes

anyway i am off to the garage fiddling carbs.  Wink
Fiatdude

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2009, 18:43:16 pm »

A very BIG hammer works well when working on stubborn non-responding carbs --

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
low oval