The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:49:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  questions about: vdo or autometer or... sender units
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: questions about: vdo or autometer or... sender units  (Read 3569 times)
wolfswest

« on: September 08, 2008, 18:46:21 pm »

Hi Guys,

Some questions for the gauge freaks.  Grin

I sold my autometer setup because I'm going to install a more vintage looking vdo set.  Some questions.  I will also need two new senders: one for the oil temp and one for the oil pressure.  Does the autometer senders also work together with vdo gauges?  Huh  Or do I realy need a vdo sender unit? 
These vdo sender units are far more expensive then the autometer ones...  Shocked  Shocked  OMG!

Second, If I need the vdo ones, does the vdo sender units work with all the gauges?

thirth and last question, I found mine here in Belgium but are there webshops or so that sell these things for a fair price?

oh, just to be clear: I have the same vdo cockpit gauges as monkiboy, thx buddy  Wink

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 19:03:48 pm »

I think VDO goes with VDO only

VDO makes several pressure senders, to match different scales on gauges. They are rated in bar or psi on hex of sender, or at least they used to be. It's been years...
They also offer several oil temp senders. Probably the most popular we used to sell was sender that was designed to thread into 3-way elbow at stock oil pressure switch port on case, tot he left of distributor on Type 1. They also offer a sender that replaces the stock oil bypass cap, or the drain plug..... they even had a dipstick sender, not sure if it is still in production. I've tried all of these, except the drain plug one, and I like the one that goes into elbow best. The dipstick one was fragile and clumsy to me. The Bypass one was cumbersome to install against spring pressure of bypass.
I have had 80psi VDO pressure gauge in my car since '89, with matching sender that alos houses warning switch for idiot light, the elbow, and the temp sender that threads into it. Wish I still could remember all the part numbers for you.  Undecided
Good luck,
Jim Ratto
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 19:09:46 pm »

dem, you might wanna try : www.fett-electronic.de

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
wolfswest

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 19:11:02 pm »

Jim,

thx for info already.  I googled a bit and yes, there are many senders that you can buy...  Roll Eyes  Looks like I need to do my homework.
and, maybe a stupid question but what is an "idiot light"  Huh  is it the light if the oilpressure is too low?

if I want to install a vdo fuel gauge then I also need another sender for the gastank?  Anybody had experience with this?

Dem

Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 19:15:44 pm »

Jim,

thx for info already.  I googled a bit and yes, there are many senders that you can buy...  Roll Eyes  Looks like I need to do my homework.
and, maybe a stupid question but what is an "idiot light"  Huh  is it the light if the oilpressure is too low?

if I want to install a vdo fuel gauge then I also need another sender for the gastank?  Anybody had experience with this?

Dem

If you install an electric VDO fuel gauge, in a 12V standard Bug, you need a VW part # 113 919 049D sender, also made by VDO. Most VW shops stock the sender as it is stock for 1968 and later Std Bug.
Idiot light is the little green light in your stock speedometer, to the right of the turn signal arrows. If it comes on, turn off engine NOW
check out John Muir book..... about idiot lights. he gives a good explanation.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 19:25:39 pm »

mine is red Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
wolfswest

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 20:52:09 pm »

mine is red Wink

mine is also a red one but Jim his explination makes it all clear.  thx!

How can you determine if it's a mechanical or a electric gauge?  Huh

Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 21:04:37 pm »

mine is red Wink

mech gauge was/is cable operated. Only electrical connection is for illumination.
wolfswest

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 21:53:21 pm »

mine is red Wink

mech gauge was/is cable operated. Only electrical connection is for illumination.

Allright, that says enough.  Christal clear!  As soon as my "new" set arrives I will get busy with it...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: