The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 19:38:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The John Rayburn thread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The John Rayburn thread!  (Read 22601 times)
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 03:30:43 am »

Two reasons on the larger front tires, but they're closely related. I started running 356 brakes around '82 or '83, and needed more tire to keep the brakes more manageable. Beings it was daily driven many , many miles, rain also was a big factor. Not only for stopping, but for cornering. Usually 165's up front, when no 155's were available. I do have 155's on it again. They work really well with the disc brakes.

I also park at Nick's.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 03:40:50 am »

I've been looking forward to some good shots of it with the 155s on the front. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 04:32:17 am »

Thanks Jim! I hope Dave will tell us his perspective on the UPS incident.

Dave, I agree... I'm sure things looked rather wild from your vantage point, yes?

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2008, 04:43:42 am »

whats cool about those 155s on johns car the same company make 185s I'm still thinking about that combo with frys and a drink

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 04:48:47 am »

Ah yes... The UPS incident.
As John noted earlier, due to a fuel leak we had gone to limp the car back to the shop for repairs... John chuggs up behind this UPS delivery van who was waiting to turn right or something, and all of a sudden I see the reverse lights come on and this guy backs right in to John! Then he starts to drive off! John Jumps out of the car and chases this guy down ON FOOT! You think his car is quick! Anyway, John jumps up to the drivers window wanting a piece of this 6'6" delivery driver and this poor guy still didnt quite know what the heck was going on! I remember a heck of an exchange! Something like: "WHAT THE #@%& ARE YOU THINKING YOU $%& *^ @ $#%&^ GET YOUR *%#@$ @## DOWN HERE OR I'LL DEAG YOUR #$%^%$& @$$ OUT OF THE $@#@%&* TRUCK.Seems like he waited for John to cool a bit before he got out. TRUST ME, YOU HAD TO BE THERE!

Rennsurfer

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 05:22:45 am »

Wow... John IS human. I've never seen or heard of him ever getting mad. Good to know that he's one of us mortals and has a temper.

Grin

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 05:49:27 am »

A good time to have seen me mad was driving down the 91 to an animation shop about 15 years ago. About 3/4 of a mile ahead there was a big piece of debris that EVERYBODY saw and was moving out of the lane and going around. As I drive by it, this jackass in his pressed 1000.00 suit and manicure and executive hair, driving an Infinity slips in the lane, drives over the debris and kicks it into my front end. I pull up next too him to motion him over, and he gives me this smartaleck shrug, and puts his foot in it. He was happy as a clam a couple miles down the freeway cruising at about 105 mph; until he looks in his rearview and sees me pushing him. Startled, he tries to speed up and it doesn't work for him. He gets off the freeway and goes into some secured parking garage at a bank. I can't follow him, so I approach the guard, tell the guy what happened and the plate number. I tell the guard to relay my info and that if he doesn't call with his insurance in a half hour, I'm calling highway patrol with a hit and run report and he can sort it out from a jail cell, as I will tell the CHP right where to find him. He called my home and told my wife everything and claimed he was too afraid to stop, that he was afraid I was going to kill him. My wife told him , she was sure that I would've. He told his insurance that my car only had minor damage and that he's not responsible. The " minor" damage was $850.00 and his own adjuster refered to him as that ass hole. Again another front end repaint.

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 05:58:12 am »

Holy Infinity driving metrosexual, Batman!

Bummer for your car, but I cracked up at what that moronic feckless yuppie was probably thinking. GREAT story!

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 06:16:50 am »

Yeah Fred, John was smokin' mad at UPS that day.

Something a little off topic I wanted to add though. I met John when he was about 13 or so through his brother Bob (he had the GTV car). Trust me, John had the VW addiction even at thirteen. John and I have been friends for over thirty years and it's been a real pleasure to work on or with him on his bug. From the time his dad gave him the car, to when I opened my shop in 1985, John was my most loyal customer... Even my first dollar stapled on the wall came from him. When we moved the shop in 1991, again he was my first customer and again my first dollar was from him. I still have both dollars with some of my old shop stuff.

Sadly, we shut the shop down in 2001, but some of my absolute BEST memories stem from the old shop days which John and his car were a huge part of. 

Now, it's been John's turn to keep me up to speed with the VW scene. I'll get a call once in a while from him reminding me about a cruise night, Drag Day, or some other VW happening... all the while encouraging me to get my Oval running, even if it's not finished.

People like John, Fred & Sarge are what this stuff is all about if you ask me.

~Dave

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 09:45:59 am »

I like John - he's the only guy I can talk to eye to eye...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2008, 14:24:58 pm »

cool story john ,any other pictures from your car in the 80's Huh
love the car with the torkers
 Wink
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 15:41:28 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Sarge

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2008, 14:31:36 pm »

I like John - he's the only guy I can talk to eye to eye...

Shocked Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin Grin

DKP III
Casey

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2008, 18:47:08 pm »

Great to hear a little history on John’s car. I can never get enough of cars like these with all the history. I for sure feel like I was born in the wrong time period. I found an old one stuck to some others of some DKP cars at good ol Carlsbad.
I think it would be so cool if the mags would re-shoot some of the old school cars still on the roads today. We can count on seeing the new shiny cars with no chips and dings from rock throwing slicks. But how bad ass to show off the REAL cars still kicking ass today!!! Like Johns car.

All the power sitting there!

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2008, 19:52:18 pm »

Casey, that is one cool old shot! I loved Carlsbad. I'm glad you found that photo! Fabian, thanks for the stylized shot. I don't know of any other shots of my car in the eighties. I don't recall even owning a camera then, and I can't recall anybody ever taking any photos except for that one backstage shot. Mike, you wanted some shots with the 155's. Hope these help you.

I also park at Nick's.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2008, 19:53:12 pm »

Another.

I also park at Nick's.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2008, 19:54:11 pm »

Another.

I also park at Nick's.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2008, 19:55:25 pm »

your car rocks with torker i prefer those one to the sprinstars
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 19:57:01 pm by speedwell » Logged

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2008, 19:56:10 pm »

Another.

I also park at Nick's.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2008, 19:56:33 pm »

your car will be cool too with buggy bars  Wink

ian c

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2008, 19:57:17 pm »

is that your caddy john ??
wanna sell it ?

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2008, 19:57:56 pm »

cool 1990's pic Casey

John your Infiniti story....perfect! Cool Somebody needs to show these stiffs in their V neck sweaters and painted on haircuts what's up. In fact....  just Thursday I was on my way into work, as every Thursday (and Monday and Friday) driving my Bug, coming down out of Box Canyon and into Canoga Park. As you drive east on Valley Circle, it becames Plummer Ave as you get near Topanga Cyn Blvd. At one stopsign, the lane is wide enough for two cars to pull next to each other, even though it is really marked as one lane. And just about every morning some soccer mom or some office-stiff wants to turn this intersection into staging lanes. Well Thursday, some CEO-snoot Jay Sebring look a like guy in his new Chirs-Bangle-Abortion BMW 750i thing tries his luck. I gave Mr. Stiff a car-length, then flattened the pedal....oh man I shot in front of the guy and his eyes looked like dinner plates. Yes, sir, you just got trounced by a VW!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2008, 20:00:00 pm »

Speedwell , thanks! My buddy Dave is fabbing some buggy bumpers for his oval. Maybe we'll have to try them on. Ian, not for sale! Sorry. I do get asked that alot lately with fuel prices.

I also park at Nick's.
ian c

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2008, 20:00:10 pm »

keep up the good work jim !!

(o\ ! /o)
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2008, 20:02:09 pm »

That's awsome, Jim! I hope he crapped his three piece suit!

I also park at Nick's.
ian c

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2008, 20:03:56 pm »

. Ian, not for sale! Sorry. I do get asked that alot lately with fuel prices.

probobly for the best .
i've been yold to stop spending money on car stuff !! Wink

(o\ ! /o)
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2008, 20:07:14 pm »

Time to start hiding receipts, Ian! And Keith, when I'm standing there talking to you, I actually feel normal!

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2008, 20:08:59 pm »

who wants to be normal?
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2008, 20:11:13 pm »

Not me , if I were normal, I'd be that idiot in the Infinity. Who wants that?

I also park at Nick's.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2008, 03:58:47 am »

John, those shots are perfect, THANKS!!!  I'm probably gonna go to those when my 145s wear out.

PS Nice Caddy, I drive a white diesel everyday.   Cool

Mike H.

Sven was right.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2008, 04:30:47 am »

Mike , I'm glad the photos helped! The Caddy is a fun little driver, isn't it? I've gone just about everywhere in mine. It's gas with a '84 GTI 1.8. It gets 36 miles per gallon whether my foot is in it or not.

I also park at Nick's.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: