The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:29:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Recognize Any Of These?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recognize Any Of These?  (Read 2720 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« on: October 05, 2008, 04:56:19 am »

Ratto, you asked me what else it was that I unearthed. Well... here's a small peak.

I came across this small wooden box in which I kept all of my VW/Porsche business cards in from the '70s & '80s.

Susie... see your D.V.B. card that you gave me with your number on it? (lower right) There are several old VW club cards in there. My Long Beach Auto Haus one and many others. Also note the two glass Hella amber lenses in the top of the pic. Somewhere, I have a green one (from Africa) and one or two red ones, too. Those were all rare colors in the early '80s. I can only imagine what they fetch, now. At Bug-In 33, we were trippin' on how much money people were asking for the old glass Hella colored lenses. Hundreds of dollars! Sheesh.

Another cool thing I found was a Bug-In 29 poster that Rich Kimball mailed to me... has my name/address on it. I'll take a pic and post it on here, too. Found a few European 911 headlight assemblies. They're going to Texas for my friend's 911 P.C.A./S.C.C.A. racecar. I'm still looking for one more box of stuff from Germany. In that box, I hope to find my other VW European spec headlights for Type 1,2 & 3. Some cool tail lights, too. Found a bunch of Euro license plates and frames, as well.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:00:25 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 05:02:21 am »

I remember you showing me those glass lenses around '82. I particularly remember the green one.

I also park at Nick's.
low oval
DKK

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 05:42:36 am »

I threw out my der kafer workshop stickers and biz cards 3 years ago.  I think I have a few dkk cards, and the one that was put on my car somewhere in my garage.
good find, now find me a license plate frame.
jim

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 05:47:44 am »

Mark what was the green lens for in Africa? Was it used as a reverse light? Or was it from a Bus?
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 13:42:39 pm »

I still have a couple of the Der Kafer Werkeshop stickers. I'd love to find Mark Ito and his brother to see what they're up to.

As far as the green lens... I remember being told by someone that worked at a VW dealer (might have been a Parts guy from Circle VW) which countries and models the colored lenses were intended for. The green one, for some reason, was designated for Africa and possibly for a Bus. That was so many years ago, I forgot. I'm sure somebody knows this stuff. Extremely obscure, at any rate.

I remember driving to Bugs For You one day with my girlfriend and selling Rich Kimball my n.o.s. EMPI GTV steering wheel for $200 and a set of mint condition early Bus Euro headlight Hella lenses & a pair of n.o.s. Type 3 amber top low profile tail light lenses for some decent cash. All of those items were getting hard to find back then (around 1984-85) when I sold them. I can only imagine what that stuff goes for, now.

I also found a bunch of 12v and 6v tungsten bulbs. I used the 6v ones in my Euro 911 headlights that were on my orange car. I can't believe that I still have this stuff. Those bulbs gotta be worth something to someone. Those, I'm willing to sell. I gotta do some research on 'em and see what people are willing to pay for them.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 16:08:47 pm »

hey mark let me know about 6v bulbs or if you go to the dkp meeting tonight bring them.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 16:44:16 pm »

my friend Bryan and I always wanted glass red Hella lenses. We bought plastic copies from Wolfsburg west and used '67 Bug reverse light assemblies to make rear fog lights. Bryan soldered the contacts up on a 1157 bulb, so both filaments were on. Bright, but after being on for a few hours, the plastic lenses melted.
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 16:56:17 pm »

I see a Wax Shop card.... sold the shit out of that stuff when it used to be around.  Wax Shop products were among the easiest to use after dealing with Classic, Custom 500, and some of the others.  And of course the ubiquitous Johnny's Speed and Chrome card.... who could ever forget?  I remember going to the original on Beach Blvd and Rosecrans... back when chrome rims cost $15 apiece (a fortune back then) and lasted about a year before the chipping and peeling started Roll Eyes Grin.  Next door to Johnny's was a nice little watering hole with scenic entertainment and BEER Shocked Cool Wink

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 17:19:57 pm »

Good ol' Johnny's Flake and Peel.

I also park at Nick's.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: