The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 23:01:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Memorable VW club outings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Memorable VW club outings  (Read 18387 times)
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« on: September 18, 2008, 04:25:35 am »

Anybody out there have a particular fond memory of a club outing?
I was thinking back in the day, but current is fine too. I have a few that I'll chime in on later.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:13:52 am »

Too many to list and write about. But the 1980 road trip up to Sacto, Nor Cal for the fifth Bug-O-Rama was pretty memorable. Brent K., Dave McNew, Mark & Vince Ito, Dave Fong, and me. What a BLAST! I've already posted that, here, awhile back on another thread.

So... let's hear 'em. Don't be shy.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:37:51 am »

Yes too many to list, from the last club I was in, Aufkalrung VW, in Northern Calif
A few favorites were our VW caravan from Hayward to Santa Cruz via highways 35 and 9. I think it was our first "advertised" caravan, left from Buggy House and ended actually in Capitola, where we ended up @ Margaritaville (some of us).
Our tour of the Mother Lode area, off of CA SR 49 was a lot of fun, stopping @ Mercer Caverns for cave exploring.
The many trips to Sac Bug-O-Rama
The "yellow sheep" navigational rally can't be forgotten
The caravan in the rain up to Boonville to Anderson Valley Brewing....hard to remember that trip

The most vivid though has to be the Death Valley trip. A whirlwind trip from Livermore, CA to Death Valley and back in 2-1/2 days in 2 old VW's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 15:51:22 pm »

The caravan in the rain up to Boonville to Anderson Valley Brewing....hard to remember that trip

HAHAHA!!! Not surprised that it's hard to remember THAT trip.

Okay, I'll start this off:

It was about 1980 or 1981 or 1982... it's not important. What IS important is the fact that it was a good time to be in D.K.K. and just out of high school. During the summer, we'd meet at Huntington State Beach. Back then, it was the wild west compared to how it is, currently. Many of the club members showed up and we'd burn VW engine or transmission cases in the fire pits. If you've never seen magnesium burn, let me tell you that it yields enough bright light to play volleyball and Frisbee at 0100hrs. in the morning. HAHA!! We did it, a few times. The next morning, I'd be out there surfing and walk over to whichever fire pit we were using. I'd laugh... staring at the pile of ash, bier caps, and threaded studs

Well, one night shall live in my mind forever. McNew and I are sitting there, drinking cheap Lowenbrau (yuck!) biers and most of the club was scattered about the fire site. Of course, we had a good mag fire going strong. This time, we scored a pit that was kinda close to Pacific Coast Highway. Because of that, many cars were stopping by, getting out, and talking to us. One couple approached us and while McNew was explaining to me of how it sucks to take a dump in a public bathroom and having to deal with ass gaskets, and all of the related stuff that goes with that... the couple asks, "Wow, that's really bright. What IS that?" McNew, without ever missing a beat replies, "Ah... it's just my Dad." They ask, "Your DAD?!?" McNew says, "Yeah. He's down there, welding." They leave. I can't stop laughing my ass off. What was consistent, was the fact that almost everyone said that they could see our fire from up and down the coast for several miles.

Some time goes by, a few crappy full Miller bottles (no big loss) get thrown into the fire to watch the liquid boil... explode... and see who didn't take cover. Yeah, I know... we were dumb as a box of rocks.  But, hey... we survived, didn't we?

After a little while, more people come up to us. GOODIE! I felt as though I should field this next inquiry, so when the next person came up and asked, I replied, "Nothing to see here, it's merely a U.F.O." The guy shook his head and walked off into the night. There were a lot of great/classic/hilarious smartassed answers (mostly McNew... I was laughing too hard) that were given throughout the late night and early morning. Mostly comments about aliens, spaceship crash site... blah, blah, blah.

The one that topped 'em all was the best. An older gentleman (remember... we're like 19-20 yrs. young, so the rest of the planet is ancient to us) walks up and stares at the fire for awhile. He walks around to where McNew and I are cracking jokes back & forth. He says, "Say... what IS that?" Dave sets down his bottle, slowly gets up, & casually wipes the sand from the seat of his pants. Puts a hand on the man's shoulder. Looks him in the eyes and says, "It's God." A hush of awkward silence overcame over the fire area. The guy's eyes are huge with amazement. Then, he walks into the darkness. It took me a long time to stop laughing from that one. Almost peed my pants, I was laughing so hard.

The night surrendered to the morning and it was getting rather late. Lastly, a fireman walks up to us. Our volleyball game was dwindling down, people have started to depart for some much needed sleep. The fire had given all she was worth and also winding down. The fireman looks at the white glow then turns to us. He stated, "You DO know that you don't ever pour water on those types of fires, right?" We assured him that many of us worked in the VW industry and all is well. He was actually pretty cool and left.

We packed our beach chairs into our Bugs, said our goodbyes, and all went our separate ways. That was a very long time ago. I've been to many beach gatherings, at night, along that stretch of coast. I've walked past that very spot to continue with my surfing, time after time. I've taken walks out there with my two sons. The area, rules, and everything else has gone through many changes, over the years. Except for three things... the sand, the ocean, and the fact that I'll never forget those memorable times that I spent with my extended family otherwise known as Der Kleiner Kampfwagens. My only regret is that no one thought to film any of this stuff, while we were living life and having all of that fun. Thankfully, I have my own private theatre where I can view the reruns, at any given time.

"If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts."
~Adam Duritz
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 23:19:25 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 16:32:36 pm »

Great story Mark...
THAT is the kind of memorable experience I was fishing for.

More please...

~DR.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 16:39:15 pm »

Great story Mark...
THAT is the kind of memorable experience I was fishing for.

More please...

~DR.

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. There are far too many of those great times to post 'em all. That one just happens to be one of my all time faves. I'm sure more people, out there, will have more to share. C'mon... don't be shy.

~Sarge
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 17:39:05 pm »

Nice story ! I wasn't even born at this time, but it seems to have been a great period.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 17:44:49 pm »

Mark, man that was perfect. All nighters at the beach are the best, though I have never been to a case-fire party. We (sheep mainly) just ran our bon fires on plastic cutlery, D-cell batteries, cans of lighter fluid.

you and McNew's comebacks are definitely classic.  Best Post This Week.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 18:02:48 pm »

I remembered another one...

Friday nights were always getting out in the cars, mostly meeting at my place and then waiting out at the local street drags to see if any action would come around. But some nights we'd just drive around and usually end up in some weird desolate place, up to no good.

But this wasn't a Friday night, it was a Thursday night, so I am not sure what my point above was getting at..
Anyway, one day I'm working counter @ Buggy House, and the mailman comes by and recites his daily bit..."some weather we're havin huh?" but then mentions that later that night, the SF Bay Area was going to experience a lunar eclipse. Well, being a kind of a geek when it comes to stuff like that, I got all fired up and called a bunch of guys in the club and said "Hey there is a lunar eclipse tonight, about 8:30, we should go up Morgan Territory Rd, up to backside of Mt Diablo and watch it." which sort of translated into "go buy beer and let's drink later tonight." The eclipse was just the afterthought. Anyway, a bunch of us head up the southeast slope of Mt Diablo, snaking along Morgan Territory Rd, a pitch black, one-lane trail that began in Livermore and ends out in Antioch, cresting Diablo about 7 miles up. We arrive at the summit, park cars, by now it's about 7:45, and the moon is beginning to take on an orange cast, then changing to purple, then begins to go dark. I think every one of us had about 3 or 4 beers in us by then... and you know what happens, your bladder gets full, and you need to take a leak. Remember, we're up in no man's land, pitch black, no city lights, now no moonlight.... I walk over to a barbed wire fence, and begin relieving myself. All of the sudden, the sound of piss hitting the weeds "changes." It begins to sound like drops of water falling into hot oil.....   hmmm.... what is that?....where have I heard that soun... oh HOLY SH!T!!!!!!!!!! I glance down and a rattle snake, very wet with piss, is coiled AT MY FEET. Here I am, with my tool exposed to the world, ready to have it chomped off by a pissed-off, pissed on rattlesnake! Before i thought about it I had ran about 50 yards, unbuttoned, un zipped... just coasting inthe wind. Man was everybody laughing their asses off. I remembered to zip up and ran to my car, jumped in, rolled up windows and locked both doors. I was like a terrified 5 yerar old. Grabbed my flashlight and peeked over windowsill at the area where the snake was.... it was still there, glistening in urine, coiled and still very pissed.
That night I DO remember.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 18:05:23 pm »

Great stories guys! Keep it up. Where are some from Sarge?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 18:18:35 pm »

Jim, THAT WAS PRICELESS!!

Dang, I feel like I should have been there!

~DR.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 18:24:49 pm »

Jim, THAT WAS PRICELESS!!

Dang, I feel like I should have been there!

~DR.

Smiley Thanks...
Rennsurfer

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 23:24:27 pm »

Oh, MAN... Jim, that's a funny story. Thanks for the laughs.

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 04:59:39 am »

OK, my turn I guess.

The year is 1974

Keep on Buggin' as a club did most of the stuff the other clubs did... of course with our own slant on it. The first, best time I had with KOB, was also my first Bug-In. Most of the club members going to the Bug-In would meet at "The Apartments", a small complex in Long Beach where several members lived. On Saturday morning, the day was spent washing, cleaning, waxing, tuning, whatever you felt you needed to do to get the most out of the "big day", aka the Bug-In. The majority of us would leave Saturday afternoon to go ahead and get in line, which involved sleeping in the car of course. We would always caravan together to OCIR, which was a good thirty miles or so, that in itself was fun. Once we got there, it wouldn't be long before the beer drinking around the inevitable bon-fire, stocked with whatever would burn... wood, road flares, tires, and of course a nice magnesium 40 horse engine case or two. As the night progressed, some guys went out in a Baja Bug dirt track racing in the field next to the line of cars. Soon a few guys from KOB, with some beers under their belt were out in the dirt racing with the Baja. Before long several other cars from who knows where were out there, and it was pretty wild. Nobody crashed or got hurt, just a bunch of guys having fun in what used to be clean, detailed cars... Of course the next day it was easy to spot the "dirt track cars". I was really young then, only sixteen but hanging out with a bunch of older guys doing older guy stuff was such a treat for me.

Another outing we would do as a club, on a Saturday night we would meet at the Clubhouse so we could caravan to some place like a go-cart track or miniature golf. After we were done, maybe once a year or so we would organize a traffic jam. Thats right, a traffic jam... Our favorite place was Belmont Shore, CA. a local costal community that was and still is quite the hangout. We would split up in to four groups, pick an intersection in the middle of town, come at it from all directions, and create a scene. It usually involved all of us yelling back and forth at each other, blocking traffic, acting like we didn't know what the heck the hold up is, horns blowing, just good old fashioned mayhem. One of the members had a police scanner that he would moniter and as soon as the police was dispatched, he'd let us know and we would all scatter eventually ending up at the apartments for refreshments.

Finally, the best, most low budget fun for me was our Sunday morning street races. Occasionally we would gather as a club, keeping the races secret from most outsiders and meet on Schumaker Ln in the middle of a large industrial complex.  the complex was so big, we were able to mark out a full quarter mile with plenty of shut down room at the end. We would position a few members as lookouts, appoint a starter, and usually we could race for an hour or two before we felt we better get gone.

Good times, really... no gang crap or shootings, plenty of friendly rivalry, and a true sense of brotherhood.

~DR.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 05:10:14 am »

Another outing we would do as a club, on a Saturday night we would meet at the Clubhouse so we could caravan to some place like a go-cart track or miniature golf. After we were done, maybe once a year or so we would organize a traffic jam. Thats right, a traffic jam... Our favorite place was Belmont Shore, CA. a local costal community that was and still is quite the hangout. We would split up in to four groups, pick an intersection in the middle of town, come at it from all directions, and create a scene. It usually involved all of us yelling back and forth at each other, blocking traffic, acting like we didn't know what the heck the hold up is, horns blowing, just good old fashioned mayhem. One of the members had a police scanner that he would moniter and as soon as the police was dispatched, he'd let us know and we would all scatter eventually ending up at the apartments for refreshments.

Great stories, Dave. But the traffic jam one is hilarious. I've done stuff like that with my friends, but with only a couple of us, actin' like we didn't know one another. Never on THAT level, of which you posted. The Police scanner is a great touch, as well. Good job! I have a new respect for you, now.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 05:56:47 am »

Hey Dave! You didn't say what KIND of a hang out Belmont Shores is.....

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 07:01:55 am »

Oh, c'mon... that's just rumor. It's actually a cool area. One of my favorite Mex eateries has been there for years... Panama Joe's. Granada & 2nd St.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 00:31:00 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 14:46:36 pm »

It's special (said with a lisp)
C'mon, you KNOW it's ok! Fred hangs out there  Shocked
hehehehe

I'd tell the story involving my red '57 Chevy, my powder blue tux and the gay bar if I thought it had anything to do with VW's Roll Eyes
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 16:56:32 pm »

The wedding of weddings! and your reward, the custom mug in the box that said, "best man ". I think you should tell it, that goon was at your shop alot.

I also park at Nick's.
Sarge

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 18:41:55 pm »

I'd tell the story involving my red '57 VW, my powder blue tux and the gay bar if I thought it had anything to do with this thread....

WTF's the holdup?? Roll Eyes Wink

DKP III
Mc New
DKK

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 22:56:51 pm »

Okay, I'll start this off:

It was about 1980 or 1981 or 1982... it's not important. What IS important is the fact that it was a good time to be in D.K.K. and just out of high school. During the summer, we'd meet at Huntington State Beach. Back then, it was the wild west compared to how it is, currently. Many of the club members showed up and we'd burn VW engine or transmission cases in the fire pits. If you've never seen magnesium burn, let me tell you that it yields enough bright light to play volleyball and Frisbee at 0100hrs. in the morning. HAHA!! We did it, a few times. The next morning, I'd be out there surfing and walk over to whichever fire pit we were using. I'd laugh... staring at the pile of ash, bier caps, and threaded studs

Well, one night shall live in my mind forever. McNew and I are sitting there, drinking cheap Lowenbrau (yuck!) biers and most of the club was scattered about the fire site. Of course, we had a good mag fire going strong. This time, we scored a pit that was kinda close to Pacific Coast Highway. Because of that, many cars were stopping by, getting out, and talking to us. One couple approached us and while McNew was explaining to me of how it sucks to take a dump in a public bathroom and having to deal with ass gaskets, and all of the related stuff that goes with that... the couple asks, "Wow, that's really bright. What IS that?" McNew, without ever missing a beat replies, "Ah... it's just my Dad." They ask, "Your DAD?!?" McNew says, "Yeah. He's down there, welding." They leave. I can't stop laughing my ass off. What was consistent, was the fact that almost everyone said that they could see our fire from up and down the coast for several miles.

Some time goes by, a few crappy full Miller bottles (no big loss) get thrown into the fire to watch the liquid boil... explode... and see who didn't take cover. Yeah, I know... we were dumb as a box of rocks.  But, hey... we survived, didn't we?

After a little while, more people come up to us. GOODIE! I felt as though I should field this next inquiry, so when the next person came up and asked, I replied, "Nothing to see here, it's merely a U.F.O." The guy shook his head and walked off into the night. There were a lot of great/classic/hilarious smartassed answers (mostly McNew... I was laughing too hard) that were given throughout the late night and early morning. Mostly comments about aliens, spaceship crash site... blah, blah, blah.

The one that topped 'em all was the best. An older gentleman (remember... we're like 19-20 yrs. young, so the rest of the planet is ancient to us) walks up and stares at the fire for awhile. He walks around to where McNew and I are cracking jokes back & forth. He says, "Say... what IS that?" Dave sets down his bottle, slowly gets up, & casually wipes the sand from the seat of his pants. Puts a hand on the man's shoulder. Looks him in the eyes and says, "It's God." A hush of awkward silence overcame over the fire area. The guy's eyes are huge with amazement. Then, he walks into the darkness. It took me a long time to stop laughing from that one. Almost peed my pants, I was laughing so hard.

The night surrendered to the morning and it was getting rather late. Lastly, a fireman walks up to us. Our volleyball game was dwindling down, people have started to depart for some much needed sleep. The fire had given all she was worth and also winding down. The fireman looks at the white glow then turns to us. He stated, "You DO know that you don't ever pour water on those types of fires, right?" We assured him that many of us worked in the VW industry and all is well. He was actually pretty cool and left.

We packed our beach chairs into our Bugs, said our goodbyes, and all went our separate ways. That was a very long time ago. I've been to many beach gatherings, at night, along that stretch of coast. I've walked past that very spot to continue with my surfing, time after time. I've taken walks out there with my two sons. The area, rules, and everything else has gone through many changes, over the years. Except for three things... the sand, the ocean, and the fact that I'll never forget those memorable times that I spent with my extended family otherwise known as Der Kleiner Kampfwagens. My only regret is that no one thought to film any of this stuff, while we were living life and having all of that fun. Thankfully, I have my own private theatre where I can view the reruns, at any given time.

"If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts."
~Adam Duritz [/b]
[/quote]

Fred..I would've had to undergone hipnosis to remember that!
The funniest part about it is that while reading your post it all started coming back! LOL I actually REMEMBER tellin some curious dude it was my dad "welding" and then the other poor bastard that decided to wander over & ask the same question awhile later. Especially the look on his face when I told him it was God! hahahahahha

Thanks for posting! I blew snot on my top lip reading it!! LMAO

Daaaaaaaaaaaam we had alot of fun! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 23:02:29 pm by Mc New » Logged

"If we painted a white stripe with pink polka dots down the center of our cars, people would start doing the same on theirs"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 00:37:53 am »

C'mon, you KNOW it's ok! Fred hangs out there  Shocked

HAHA!! Been doing so since 1980. Still have yet to see any um... well you know what I mean.

Wink

Actually, I can always just blame it on McNew. He's the one that got me hooked on Panama Joe's Cantina, when he and Jeffrey Hicken lived down there. So, to this day, after I'm done paddling laps around Naples Island, I stop in P.J.'s for some free Happy Hour Mex food and a Negra Modelo. McNew and I spent countless hours and dollars in that place.

C'mon, McNew... bust out with some stories about that time and place. Or is it all a distant haze... periodically looming itself towards you in the time-fog?

Fred..I would've had to undergone hipnosis to remember that!
The funniest part about it is that while reading your post it all started coming back! LOL I actually REMEMBER tellin some curious dude it was my dad "welding" and then the other poor bastard that decided to wander over & ask the same question awhile later. Especially the look on his face when I told him it was God! hahahahahha

Thanks for posting! I blew snot on my top lip reading it!! LMAO

Daaaaaaaaaaaam we had alot of fun! Smiley

You're welcome. Now it's YOUR turn.

I don't remember every D.K.K. outing or most of the fun times that we enjoyed. But a few 'em, like that one, will forever be engraved in my mind. It was a great time to be a kid. I wouldn't trade that for anything.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 00:41:45 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 05:43:12 am »

The wedding of weddings! and your reward, the custom mug in the box that said, "best man ". I think you should tell it, that goon was at your shop alot.
O.K. John, just for you and Sarge... 
I grew up with this guy named Cliff. We used to build Chopper Stingrays, ride skateboards, all that stuff. Probably the last time I'd seen him I was only 15. Well, fast forward 20 years or so and out of the blue, this guy shows up at my shop. It was cool to see him and all, but I really wasn't interested in being his best friend or anything... I was pretty busy with my shop and active in my two son's lives. Anyway he keeps stopping by all the time and just hanging out. Well one day he comes in, announces he's getting married, and he wants me to be the Best Man!  I didn't want to do that!  I didn't even really want to go to the wedding!
Like an IDIOT I agreed, I still to this day do not know why.
By now, I've had months before the wedding to think about how much I wish I would have just said no! Unbeliveable. Well the big day comes, and wouldn't you know it, it conflicts with a very important Boy Scout outing that my sons are involved in. Just to let you know how I felt about that, the Scouts were a big part of our lives for several years... both boys made Eagle Scout, the highest rank. I told you that to tell you this, I didn't want to miss that outing.
The wedding was to take place at 11:00 am Saturday, the reception right after. Well, I made it to the wedding to do my thing, pissy the whole time, trying to get these guys to hurry up with the wedding photos so we could get to the reception hall, I could give a toast and get the heck out of there and try to catch the rest of the Scout outing. We finally make it there around 2:00 pm.  The reception hall is in Belmont Shore, CA. and it happens to be right next to Ripples, Long Beach's first openly gay bar! OK, no big deal, but it turns out I had to park my red '57 Chevy right in front of this place! Well, I'm pissed on so many levels by this time, I'm in no mood for anything. Oh yeah, the Tux I had to wear was baby blue... that's right. Keep in mind this was not the 70's when that color was cool... no, it was the 90's and it was just plain fruity looking. Well, as I was walking to the reception hall I had to go right past Ripples front door. Of course they were doing a brisk business on that fine Saturday... I just looked straight forward trying to ignore the place when I hear thes guy whistle a cat call and a "hey baby". That was ALL I could stand! I turned around, ready with fists up (really!) and I was face to face with the LARGEST, MOST MUSCULAR GAY GUY you've ever seen Shocked. He could have killed me! There wasn't much to do really, he smiled at me and I said "thanks" Huh don't ask me why... The rest was pretty uneventful, and I did finally make it to the Scout outing.
Oh well, just another day in paradise...   

~DR.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 15:52:45 pm »

And Dave's big reward....... This little glass mug that said, "Best Man " on it.

I also park at Nick's.
alex d

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 16:38:44 pm »

you guys should write a book Smiley
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 16:42:51 pm »

Back in the Day 1975 me and about ten friends  joined DVB one of the Orange County Clubs back in the Day it was cool hosting Bug In's and just hanging out with a Bunch of VW nuts but after a year or so We decided to Start Are Own Club since most of us were from the San Gabriel Valley so we Quit DVB and a few of there members came with us to the new DSK (Der Selten Kafers) EST.1976 Since most of us were in to Cars more then People We used the Same Rules DKP went By Quaitly not Quanty The Biggest Problem I had with Being in DVB the People were Great but it was a VW Club not just a Cal Look Club I did not like having Buses,VW Campers,Bajas,Ect. Running Club Stickers. So as DSK came about we Had alot of great Ralleys Starting at Monkey Wards on Harbor Blvd. we were Welcomed and respected by the other clubs The Best Memorable outing we had was When we went to our First Ralley after we Started we all had New Club Shirts,Jackets,And Window Stickers, nobody had ever seen All our cars together so it was a first for everybody The First Ralley we Attended was K.O.B.'s (Keep On Buggin) Saturday Night Special We had 27 Cars we all signed up and ran the ralley at the end of the Ralley always ended at a pizza place than after winning a Counterweight your Crank Raffle Prize from Gene Berg The Best was yet to come when they went  on to the Awards everyone quites down as they read off the the most Repersented Clubs he gets to Second Place with 25 Cars DVB they had a real surprized look on there faces then he Says I dont No who They Are But 1St. Place Most Repersented Club with 27 Cars goes to DSK.  needless to say DVB was a bit pissed at us lol the Club is still around with a few of the Original Members all with all there Original Parts  from years gone by  we all have 67's and other years we are thinking of making a come back but unlike DKP we never had a DSK II or DSK III  we are the Originals with Familys but one Thing that has never Changed is the Love For VW's and Old School Cal Looks. hope I didn't Bore You Guys to much LMAO.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 16:54:52 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 17:19:54 pm »

Shubee, would you happen to have any old rally photos? I've noticed over the years that pictures always seem to revolve around Bug In or Drag Days, but very little of the hundreds of rallys or whittier cruises.

I also park at Nick's.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 22:11:57 pm »

Shubee, would you happen to have any old rally photos? I've noticed over the years that pictures always seem to revolve around Bug In or Drag Days, but very little of the hundreds of rallys or whittier cruises.
no I dont This Picture was from  a DKK Ralley   LOL When was the Last Time you Saw a GEMCO store still open?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 22:16:03 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Rennsurfer

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 22:39:12 pm »

I remember that picture... good ol' Gemco and Fedco stores. Looks like Alex Gonzales in the foreground with the club shirt on and Shubee's '67 'Vert in line. Those were great days.

~Sarge
kafercup

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 02:34:56 am »

Hahaha, that was the drive where Finn had to drive all the way back from Booneville in the rain in his Ghia that had no windows (and a fuel cell in the trunk "sealed" with a rag in the filler).
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: