The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 07:28:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350860 Posts in 28605 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  what do .............
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: what do .............  (Read 24118 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« on: September 18, 2008, 12:51:04 pm »

you think about the HOODRIDE mvnt

i don't like it ; to many crusty cars and some of them can be saved, but with this trends they are intended to scrape the ground till the end I do not hide that at the beginning it was funny to see a car or the other one in this style, but now there is not more than that, for me it is a question of ease for it is people, they do not want to make beautiful cars, because there is means to make beautiful cars without for it, to invest there all money

I know that I am not going to be made some friends, can be not here, but among the guests of this forum who come to read from time to time

fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
smurf67

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 13:14:39 pm »

I must admit i too did find it funny at first but it is now out of control i know of someone near me building a zwitter in this style bit of a waste of a solid and rare care imo. Alex
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 13:20:11 pm »

I don't like this very much for the same reason as you.  Undecided

At the beginning, there is only a few hooride car made by people that take lot's of time to make it "spectacular", like Radikalbugz here in Belgium.
Then, lot's of people lower their bug by an irrational way just to look "Cool". The more they scratch the ground, the more they are happy.  That's silly.

Sarge

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 13:34:17 pm »

I see it more as a reflection of our current society... the "I don't give a shit what you think" crowd.  It's an easy way out, a way to get noticed (not necessarily in a good way).  My $.02

DKP III
Tim C

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 13:41:10 pm »

There are many cars that try to carry off the "Hoodride" and/or Rat Look tag, but in reality are just nasty dangerous pieces of crap. Even to the point that I saw a Mk2 Polo being sold as "rat look" when it should be described as an MOT failure/basket case.

However, there are certain patina'd cars/vans that do it for me. The RBoD guys in the UK have some cool buses wearing original paint and rolling on rare rims. Scotty's 52 Split is a prime example of a good rat look bus and I think it won the title at EBI1?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=421076

JG54 Greenhearts
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 13:45:19 pm »

However, there are certain patina'd cars/vans that do it for me. The RBoD guys in the UK have some cool buses wearing original paint and rolling on rare rims. Scotty's 52 Split is a prime example of a good rat look bus and I think it won the title at EBI1?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=421076

i agree with that, there's some cool patina bus This bus in one skated don't mean inevitably hoodride as skates, it does not scrape and does not collapse as certain car

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 13:54:34 pm »

I see it more as a reflection of our current society... the "I don't give a shit what you think" crowd.  It's an easy way out, a way to get noticed (not necessarily in a good way).  My $.02
Sarge, I could not agree with you more.

Tim C hit it on the nail as well... it's great to see a nice un-restored old car, loaded with patina with a nice set of wheels, etc.

~DR.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 14:14:02 pm »

Sarge, I could not agree with you more.

Tim C hit it on the nail as well... it's great to see a nice un-restored old car, loaded with patina with a nice set of wheels, etc.

~DR.

I agree. There are some original unrestored cars that look cool slammed over a set of nice rims and with a big IDA motor. A good example of this was the Type 3 panel owned by T3D with the burners. But most of the rat look cars I have seen are unsafe to drive and just rolling POS.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
smurf67

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 14:18:04 pm »

Waht about all the patinad 70's bugs which in reality are just sanded through to the primer not cool  Roll Eyes
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 14:43:25 pm »

Nope, I don't think about it at all. I ignore 'em the same way that I ignore rap, metal, country, or pop music. Even gayer... the term "patina" when referring to a car's style. Good Lord, I can't believe this tripe is actually taken seriously. Every time I have to be subjected to these silly cars in person, my brain cues up the circus/clown music.

Which is why The Lounge ROCKS. We don't have to deal with those feckless clown-mobiles. In fact, to rid my mouth of this bad taste, I submit this...

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
gizago

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 14:48:45 pm »

I don't mind a nice early car with sunburnt original paint, as long as it is solid and safe.I just wouldn't own one myself. What I really don't like are the dangerous rotten pieces of crap scraping around in the name of 'cool'.  The thing that really pisses me off is when people take a nicely restored or well kept shiney car and 'age' the paint and put fake faded sign writing on to try and recreate the look.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 18:11:26 pm »

Nope, I don't think about it at all. I ignore 'em the same way that I ignore rap, metal, country, or pop music. Even gayer... the term "patina" when referring to a car's style. Good Lord, I can't believe this tripe is actually taken seriously. Every time I have to be subjected to these silly cars in person, my brain cues up the circus/clown music.

Which is why The Lounge ROCKS. We don't have to deal with those feckless clown-mobiles. In fact, to rid my mouth of this bad taste, I submit this...

Yeah Mark, I see what you're gettin at.

I'll expand on my own feelings a little... "Patina" to me generally describes the overall non-perfect, aged condition, of whatever the item is like cars, parts, antiques, etc. I agree the word is over used just like "barn find", "survivor", etc.

Personally, for me I would rather see a well preserved original or older restored driver car any day. I thing we can all agree that all things being the same, an original car, when sold may even be worth more than something restored (note-- not some P.O.S. but a NICE original example). Trailer queens are all over the place, and that's fine... I've even built a few of 'em... whatever.

At my old shop we used to specialize in air cooled VW and 356 & 912 Porsche repairs and restoration... We did a LOT of 'em over the years and IMHO, the best car I ever had the pleasure to work on was an original unrestored 1957 Speedster that had been in dry storage since 1962...  We did all the uaual things to make it a driver, and because it was not perfect but well preserved, it stole the show everytime.

OK, I'll be quiet now Wink
Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 18:24:19 pm »

don't get me started.  Angry

What better way to accelerate the demise of these old cars, risk injuring the innocent public, make our hobby look stupider, and create even more eyesores on the face of the planet? It isn't the cosemtic insult that these cars present that piss me off, it is the sheer stupidity these "cars" are put together with. Seems like the less reliable and more dangerous the car is, the higher it ranks on the "cool scale", what a f**king joke. I remember when this whole scene was just getting going, over 10 yr ago, there was this really rag tag group of idiot kids that just fu**ing MURDERED these poor VW's, thinking they were doing something "cool." They patted each other on their dirty backs about such accomplishments as scraping the sump smooth, grinding their Bus steering box open on the asphalt as they drove, being able to drive with NO torsion bars (no kidding.... this genius claimed all that was holding his trailing arms in place was a pair of bungee cords stretched through the beam tubes). Funny, they could absolutely destroy the integrity of the car, sink almost no money into making it a "working" car, but spend all their dough on stupid roof racks, saftey stars, VW mudflaps (which, after about a mile, were destroyed), and other useless crap. Thank god for cal look cars.

fabs, I think I went off somewhere before about this topic.
beetletom

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 18:38:38 pm »

i thought it was really funny when everyone worshiped dopehead derek then he ran off with their money, whoops!
its now old hat and very boring... but i guess its a way of people affording to have a 'show' car.
ian c

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 18:53:09 pm »

what was the story with that tom ??
i remember some uk show flew him over to judge the hood-ride class or something , but thats the last i heard .... wha appen ?? Smiley

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
beetletom

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 19:10:16 pm »

yeah, thats was at vw action, the hoodride line up was bigger than the show and shine entrants, i think?
shows how big the hoodride movement is in the uk!

on the website people ordered loads of stuff, then he never bothered to send anything...
The Ideaman

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 19:38:23 pm »

He's now serving drinks at some Phoenix gay bar and spinning dope mixes from his treehouse in central Phoenix.  I wish I could find the link.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 20:00:28 pm »

This topic is just like the narrowed beam topic. Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 20:03:28 pm »

hoodriddance !
 Angry

Here is the link to a thread on the Samba:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247391&highlight=hoodride+money
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 20:16:46 pm »

and what do you think about car on airbag suspension/shocks Huh for the the hooride start with kcw car built with their air ride  suspension, the car look great but toooooooooooooooooo low   Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 20:35:46 pm »

Roll Eyes

can we talk about Cal Look stuff?

that car looks stupid,

Grin
ian c

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 21:11:01 pm »

air-shocks ARE cal-look ....  hot vws says so Wink

Cheesy

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 21:35:27 pm »

Air-shocks and air-bags are apples and oranges !
bugnut68

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 21:53:59 pm »

i thought it was really funny when everyone worshiped dopehead derek then he ran off with their money, whoops!
its now old hat and very boring... but i guess its a way of people affording to have a 'show' car.

Of course there was also the time that "Dope Beat Derrick" and one of his cronies stole a battery from a car when their shitpile split broke down near some town called Blythe.  KCW at one time, as I recall, supposedly "fired" both of these guys, but one of them is still working for the shop, last I heard, or got rehired.  It was another subject of discussion on the Samba. 

I'll be glad to see a few less KCW cars in Hot VWs magazine, because that whole situation is what I think of first when I see 'KCW built this car for Joe Blow.'
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 22:02:29 pm »

don't get me started.  Angry

What better way to accelerate the demise of these old cars, risk injuring the innocent public, make our hobby look stupider, and create even more eyesores on the face of the planet? It isn't the cosemtic insult that these cars present that piss me off, it is the sheer stupidity these "cars" are put together with. Seems like the less reliable and more dangerous the car is, the higher it ranks on the "cool scale", what a f**king joke. I remember when this whole scene was just getting going, over 10 yr ago, there was this really rag tag group of idiot kids that just fu**ing MURDERED these poor VW's, thinking they were doing something "cool." They patted each other on their dirty backs about such accomplishments as scraping the sump smooth, grinding their Bus steering box open on the asphalt as they drove, being able to drive with NO torsion bars (no kidding.... this genius claimed all that was holding his trailing arms in place was a pair of bungee cords stretched through the beam tubes). Funny, they could absolutely destroy the integrity of the car, sink almost no money into making it a "working" car, but spend all their dough on stupid roof racks, saftey stars, VW mudflaps (which, after about a mile, were destroyed), and other useless crap. Thank god for cal look cars.

fabs, I think I went off somewhere before about this topic.

OK, Kill Me...
I loved that stuff in the beginning. Then i tried to understand what the difference between Hoodride and Rat was. Now they are the same to me. Unsafe. I love the look but if i had the funds and time..... Really not to be saved old body, keep it as is. Powdercoated new floorpan, cage, brakes, suspension, AN Lines, Seat, hefty motor, Loooow, Etc.,  Drag functional and approved.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 22:04:55 pm by FDK/Hurry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 23:34:33 pm »

HAHAHA!!! Almost spit out a mouthful of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale when I read some of the recent replies to this thread. Thanks, guys.

That's the biggest oxymoron of the year: those unsafe clown cars posing as "show" cars. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck, I don't even think my current '67 is anywhere near being a show car. It's just a cleaner than average daily driver, in my book. But compared to one of those engine case draggers... I guess I DO have a show car. Too funny. Speaking of which... I'm gonna go drive my normal VW. Play nice.

~Sarge
bugnut68

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 00:44:57 am »

Sadly, the HoodRide movement seems to be firmly implanted here in the pacific northwest.  I don't know how many emo-wannabe kids I saw at Woodburn's Bug Run with broken-axle shitboxes this year... one of which was in the car show with zero seat covers and bare frames covered by wool blankets.  It ranked right up there with the shitty volksrod that featured the confederate flag on its roof.   Roll Eyes

There's one fella in particular that I won't name... saw his car in the swap, slammed running spindle mounts in the front and horrifically cambered up rear Randars.  Rusted bucket of garbage.  He owns a shop in Salem, and I would never give him money to work on my cars, regardless of how many fans of his Hoodride skillz he may have.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 01:13:00 am »

Sadly, the HoodRide movement seems to be firmly implanted here in the pacific northwest.  I don't know how many emo-wannabe kids I saw at Woodburn's Bug Run with broken-axle shitboxes this year... one of which was in the car show with zero seat covers and bare frames covered by wool blankets.  It ranked right up there with the shitty volksrod that featured the confederate flag on its roof.   Roll Eyes

There's one fella in particular that I won't name... saw his car in the swap, slammed running spindle mounts in the front and horrifically cambered up rear Randars.  Rusted bucket of garbage.  He owns a shop in Salem, and I would never give him money to work on my cars, regardless of how many fans of his Hoodride skillz he may have.

shops are doing this stuff to cars?

G-dog

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 01:29:44 am »

Well as a Canadian , we are known for our laid back attitude Grin,I would have to say that any enthusiasm for the VW scene is probably a good thing. My hope is that these youngsters (well most of the hoodriders anyways) will eventually see the light and graduate to a better built car.You can see that happening in the "Rat rod "scene ,the quality of some of those cars is getting  better and better.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:31:38 am by G-dog » Logged

Yeah I know-just another 67.....
Rennsurfer

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 04:02:48 am »

shops are doing this stuff to cars?

HAHA!! God, this just gets better & better. Can you imagine shops actually charging to wreck a perfectly innocent VW like that? YIKES! You're better off just leaving the car stock and retaining the car's value. Rather than raping and devaluing the poor thing.

I dig the broken axle comment. I've been calling excessively lowered VW cars that since the '80s.

~Sarge
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: