The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:46:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Hard Fuel Line Install
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Hard Fuel Line Install  (Read 13692 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: September 18, 2008, 17:10:38 pm »

Started running the SS 3/8 tubing for a new fuel line last night. Anyone got any tips or tricks when it comes to routing over the torsion bar housing and then up through the stock hole in the frame horn? Just looking for any ideas to make this task a little easier.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 17:45:02 pm »

tips on how to do without taking the body off would be welcome too  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 18:00:36 pm »

What I do before bending tube is to take welding rod or wire to make pattern first. Make sure not to bend tube so close to the end of tube that you can't flair the end. Just my three cents.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Bruce

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 20:22:41 pm »

Feed the line all the way to the shifter coupler.  Insert a welding rod into the frame horn from the rear end until it comes out by the shifter coupler.  Guide the tube over the welding rod, then push the tube all the way back.  The welding rod will force the tube to find the hole in the frame horn.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 20:27:59 pm »

Feed the line all the way to the shifter coupler.  Insert a welding rod into the frame horn from the rear end until it comes out by the shifter coupler.  Guide the tube over the welding rod, then push the tube all the way back.  The welding rod will force the tube to find the hole in the frame horn.

Now thats a good idea.

Thanks!

--louis

Louis Brooks

SteveW

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 21:19:57 pm »

How about running in a return line at the same time just in case you ever have upgrade to a bypass system? Save alot of hassle in the future  Smiley

Also when mine was done the fittings were welded onto a small plate which was then riveted on the pan, reason being, if the fittings get damaged its easier to replace and you won't 'mess up' your painted pan.If have pics if you want to see what I mean  Smiley

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 21:24:18 pm »

How about running in a return line at the same time just in case you ever have upgrade to a bypass system? Save alot of hassle in the future  Smiley

Also when mine was done the fittings were welded onto a small plate which was then riveted on the pan, reason being, if the fittings get damaged its easier to replace and you won't 'mess up' your painted pan.If have pics if you want to see what I mean  Smiley

Yeah I would like to see the pics if you have them. That sounds like a good idea. As for the return line, why would you need one with IDAs?  Wink

--louis

Louis Brooks

SteveW

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 21:43:10 pm »

Yeah I would like to see the pics if you have them. That sounds like a good idea. As for the return line, why would you need one with IDAs?  Wink

--louis

I have IDA's and a return line Wink If your running high hp then the bypass/return system is much better than a deadhead system as the excess fuel being drawn up has somewhere to go rather than the regulator doing twice as much work holding pressure down.

Steve

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 21:47:03 pm »

Cool idea. I will have to give that some thought.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 22:11:49 pm »

John @ Hoses Unlimited, now deceased, was like MR. 48IDA, at least up north, he helped set them up on many VW midget racers and also on GT40 Fords. Anyway, I was sent to him "to talk fuel systems" way back in 1991 when I got my 48's for my Bug. First thing he said was "you need a return system." He told me IDAs hate Holley regulators and that they run happier with a return system. I bet I should have listened to him. Specifically, he said something about cooler fuel and less chance of flooding and better needle valve control. I really don't know, but this guy knew what he was talking about... too bad I did the opposite of everything he told me.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 22:20:49 pm »

Jim, SteveW, about return lines....coming from the regulator. Is there a chance that the carbs will be running lean, taking the less resistance on fuel pressure, is there a dependable regulator available HuhHuh? I'm going thru the Jegs catalogue for years, but still hesitating to order. Your thoughts please.

Thanks,
Harry

Done ? Not Yet.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 22:27:54 pm »

Jim, SteveW, about return lines....coming from the regulator. Is there a chance that the carbs will be running lean, taking the less resistance on fuel pressure, is there a dependable regulator available HuhHuh? I'm going thru the Jegs catalogue for years, but still hesitating to order. Your thoughts please.

Thanks,
Harry

Sorry Harry, only have experience with Holley Red, which for the most part, seems to work ok. You know I had issues with gauge, float tab, etc. I have a Malpassi regulator at home, (made of mag  Cool) but very small NPT fittings, I don't it is designed to flow GPH that IDAs want. I will ask my Porsche customer what he uses with the 50mm PMO carbs on his hot rod stuff.

louis, I ran a AN6 braided hose through my tunnel, one piece all the way from pump to reg.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 22:33:57 pm »

Braided line would have been easier but I like doing things the hard way lol. As for the return line, its something to think about, but I doubt I will do it. A lot of IDA cars running around out there using a Holley red reg. (Though I will not be using a Holley red pump, too noisy.) And I doubt my engine will put out over 200 hp, more like 180 - 190. (Thats the goal anyway.)  Besides it will keep me from doing something stupid like putting nitrous on the car.  Grin

Pans from WW are waiting on me at the house. Can't wait to get home to check them out. I might have a whole pan in a couple of weeks.  Smiley

--louis

Louis Brooks

SteveW

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 22:38:36 pm »

I cannot speak from experience as this is my first 'proper' build but I have been reading and reading and what I kept hearing about was Aeromotive stuff. I decided to go with it and bought the Aeromotive street/strip pump and the Aeromotive universal bypass regulator, its expensive stuff but from what i've read, well worth it. I also got Aeromotive fuel filters too..

I guess the carb could run lean though if its not getting enough fuel, deadhead fuel pumps do tend to fail alot more because of the increased workload of them, just last weekend I was crewing on a friends 706ci motor which had a deadhead system and the left side of the motor wasn't running right, we diagnosed it down to the fuel system as the left side of the carb wasn't getting enough fuel, the fuel pressue was way off. A crew member of another team came over to look and instantly said it needs a return line. Like I say i'm no expert (at all!!) but I ask alot of questions and the bypass system makes alot of sense to me.

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 22:42:21 pm »

That is a nice setup. I have heard good stuff about Aeromotive equip from my hot rod friends. Can you limit it down to 4 psi though? I will give some more thought to a bypass line. Wonder if it would be legal to use braided for the return line. I know NHRA frowns on the use of too much braided for the main fuel system.

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 22:45:57 pm »

I will say that the Holley regs do seem to have a bad habit of dieing quickly. I had to replace one when I was running the kads on the SP motor. It stopped regulating correctly.

--louis

Louis Brooks

SteveW

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 22:50:57 pm »

That is a nice setup. I have heard good stuff about Aeromotive equip from my hot rod friends. Can you limit it down to 4 psi though? I will give some more thought to a bypass line. Wonder if it would be legal to use braided for the return line. I know NHRA frowns on the use of too much braided for the main fuel system.

--louis

Yes the regulator goes down to 3 PSI. I bought the High Output street/strip fuel pump which pumps out over 90GPH at 7PSI then then I will regulate it down to 3.5PSI. Another benefit of the return system is you can test your fuel pressure without having the motor running. All you need to do is start the pump then the 'cycle' will start.

Yeah I've heard of lots of Holleys dieing too which is why I took the plunge and went for the Aeromotive kit.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 22:54:21 pm by SteveW » Logged

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 22:55:10 pm »

This is the Holley pump I am looking at. It is supposed to be pretty quiet.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Bruce

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 00:13:27 am »

Now thats a good idea.
Consider using 5/16" Al tubing.  Much easier to manipulate by hand, and 5/16" is big enough to support 350hp.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 00:14:09 am »

A little something I did to my 62,bulkhead fittings on both ends for hardlines

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 03:07:22 am »

Yeah I have seen that one before Danny. Really nice work. I am not sure I would have the patience to pull that off.  Cheesy

Aluminum would be easier, but I already have the SS line.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Harry/FDK

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 15:59:49 pm »

I cannot speak from experience as this is my first 'proper' build but I have been reading and reading and what I kept hearing about was Aeromotive stuff. I decided to go with it and bought the Aeromotive street/strip pump and the Aeromotive universal bypass regulator, its expensive stuff but from what i've read, well worth it. I also got Aeromotive fuel filters too..

I guess the carb could run lean though if its not getting enough fuel, deadhead fuel pumps do tend to fail alot more because of the increased workload of them, just last weekend I was crewing on a friends 706ci motor which had a deadhead system and the left side of the motor wasn't running right, we diagnosed it down to the fuel system as the left side of the carb wasn't getting enough fuel, the fuel pressue was way off. A crew member of another team came over to look and instantly said it needs a return line. Like I say i'm no expert (at all!!) but I ask alot of questions and the bypass system makes alot of sense to me.

Thanks Jim/ SteveW,
Now about the return line, on top of the tank or with a Tee under the tank ?

Thanks,
Harry

Done ? Not Yet.
SteveW

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 21:06:58 pm »

Top of the tank. I just asked this same question the other day! The answers back was top of the tank and just make sure the fuel cap is well sealed. Also if your running -6 or -8 lines with a stock tank Marty Staggs has fittings that thread onto the existing tank fitting and change it to -6 or -8. No need to weld in a fitting at the bottom then!

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 06:11:51 am »

I made my fuel tank adapter.  I also ran my 3/8" SS hardline down the under side of the heater channel.  It came out reall clean and is out of harm's way.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Harry/FDK

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 11:18:54 am »

Neat !! I like the clamps you used to secure the line.

Done ? Not Yet.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 12:49:46 pm »

I made my fuel tank adapter.  I also ran my 3/8" SS hardline down the under side of the heater channel.  It came out reall clean and is out of harm's way.

Hotrodvw is who I bought my fuel line ends from. If anyone needs fittings and such, he is the man.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Hotrodvw

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 16:02:48 pm »

Neat !! I like the clamps you used to secure the line.

They're called "Cush-a-clamps".  It's a rubber or vinyl sleeve that snaps around the tubing, and then the steel saddle clamps around all of it.  It isolates the tubing from rubbing on the mounting surface.  It's very secure, and has no vibration....which is a very good thing. 

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 21:08:41 pm »

looks like a good option for me when i'm not going to run a hose through the tunnel!!

louis, which holley pump are you looking at? i can't see the pic you posted...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 22:23:05 pm »

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+400178+4294925239+4294839053+4294836965+115+315471&autoview=sku

Louis Brooks

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 22:24:16 pm »

ouch, $$.
i've heard good comments about the CB rotary pump, i might go for that one.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: