The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 18:44:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351114 Posts in 28641 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bad Ball Joints
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bad Ball Joints  (Read 2816 times)
deano

« on: September 22, 2008, 00:58:35 am »

If you plan to replace your ball joints, beware that many of the replacement ones are now too large, and will not keep their shape if you try to press them into your trailing arms. Measure the ball joint O.D., and then the trailing arm I.D., and double check the crush, before attempting to press them into your arms. Otherwise, once installed, they could seize, and lock up. Many of the replacement ones are now machined for a .020-inch crush which is way too much. It should be about .006. I was lucky. The ball joints I had were purchased almost one year ago (Bilstein/Febi from Wolfsburg West), so when VW Paradise pressed them in, they alerted me of the potential problem, but we ended up being okay on size. Hope this helps you save some time and hassle, before you rebuild your front end. Note: once you press in the ball joints, make sure you can still move the stem with your finger. It should be firm, but not locked up!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:16:16 am »

Dean, you might want to try the Meyle ones.....
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:52:55 am »

If you plan to replace your ball joints, beware that many of the replacement ones are now too large, and will not keep their shape if you try to press them into your trailing arms. Measure the ball joint O.D., and then the trailing arm I.D., and double check the crush, before attempting to press them into your arms. Otherwise, once installed, they could seize, and lock up. Many of the replacement ones are now machined for a .020-inch crush which is way too much. It should be about .006. I was lucky. The ball joints I had were purchased almost one year ago (Bilstein/Febi from Wolfsburg West), so when VW Paradise pressed them in, they alerted me of the potential problem, but we ended up being okay on size. Hope this helps you save some time and hassle, before you rebuild your front end. Note: once you press in the ball joints, make sure you can still move the stem with your finger. It should be firm, but not locked up!

Yeah... welcome to the world of shitty quality repro parts... Mine is too firm - locks up about everything and the car is terrible to drive.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Donny B.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 15:50:37 pm »

Makes me feel glad that I bought a spare set of new German ball joints for my stash about 12 years ago.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Tony M

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 16:34:43 pm »

Been down that road - i have found that the TRW ball joints work good - did one job 3 times till i put in the TRW's in - no problem - tried the Meyle one's also - big.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: