The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 09:07:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350826 Posts in 28601 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Coming home again…
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Coming home again…  (Read 47026 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2008, 21:33:34 pm »

doug for me i will go with the riviera   Cool , i prefer that way than the porsches , but it's yours  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I totally respect that, as so many cars have had Fuchs, and not so many had Rivieras.

I thought about doing just that, and putting it back to what appeared in VW Trends, but I really love the way the car looked after that much better.  Most pics of the car are from '77 or '78 [I think] and I was able to improve the car a lot in those last 4 or 5 years.

My idea is to create a 'time machine' that puts the car back on the road as though the last 26 years never passed. 

it would look AWSOME on fuchs - as long as they are anodized  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Russell

« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2008, 21:45:17 pm »

Doug

When building your time machine you should use keith he takes ages and him alone would be another time machine  Wink

Best Regards

Russell
dougmische

« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2008, 22:03:38 pm »

doug for me i will go with the riviera   Cool , i prefer that way than the porsches , but it's yours  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I totally respect that, as so many cars have had Fuchs, and not so many had Rivieras.

I thought about doing just that, and putting it back to what appeared in VW Trends, but I really love the way the car looked after that much better.  Most pics of the car are from '77 or '78 [I think] and I was able to improve the car a lot in those last 4 or 5 years.

My idea is to create a 'time machine' that puts the car back on the road as though the last 26 years never passed. 

it would look AWSOME on fuchs - as long as they are anodized  Wink Smiley

My thoughts precisely!
dougmische

« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2008, 22:05:26 pm »

Doug

When building your time machine you should use keith he takes ages and him alone would be another time machine  Wink

I'm not sure I have enough time for Keith's help.  Besides, he likes to sleep too much, and he passes out on Coors Light.  Grin
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2008, 22:12:14 pm »

Doug

I'm not sure I have enough time for Keith's help.  Besides, he likes to sleep too much, and he passes out on Coors Light.  Grin
Hah! Right, that's it! I'm sending Zavala round to have stern words with you, pal! Angry

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
dougmische

« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2008, 01:19:13 am »

Doug

Hah! Right, that's it! I'm sending Zavala round to have stern words with you, pal! Angry

Hah!  Right!  As if he'd listen to you...  Be sure to tell him of your DKP affialiation.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA  And Russell started it!  I merely blindly followed...
ovaleasy

« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2008, 07:31:05 am »

Doug

Wow! Congrats on finding your car.

Mark
dougmische

« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2008, 15:44:37 pm »

Doug

Wow! Congrats on finding your car.

Mark

Thanks!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2008, 15:51:00 pm »

HAHA!!  Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Russell

« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2009, 07:45:25 am »

Well the big news is this car is now going through the Gasser Garage treatment, new engine, interior sorted, Fuchs back on and some other bits and bobs, all to happen before next Friday so it can be driven to DKP/Classic Weekend, It was collected yesterday (thanks Doug) and is now on the VWGG converyor belt........   Grin Cant wait to park it up at Nicks  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2009, 09:54:47 am »

Shocked Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2009, 10:01:09 am »

Well the big news is this car is now going through the Gasser Garage treatment, new engine, interior sorted, Fuchs back on and some other bits and bobs, all to happen before next Friday so it can be driven to DKP/Classic Weekend, It was collected yesterday (thanks Doug) and is now on the VWGG converyor belt........   Grin Cant wait to park it up at Nicks  Grin

Shocked Shocked Shocked Tongue Tongue Tongue
vwcab

peter

« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2009, 11:44:28 am »

So,it's yours now Russell?

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2009, 13:52:34 pm »

can't be, doug sold the wocket to rebuild FASRNU to its former glory.
i suppose it's just a kick start to get it to the classic Huh

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
wolfswest

« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2009, 14:18:30 pm »

I hope so.

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
nicolas

« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2009, 16:51:23 pm »

can't be, doug sold the wocket to rebuild FASRNU to its former glory.
i suppose it's just a kick start to get it to the classic Huh

maybe the Gasser Garage crew is pulling some strings to make it all happen... they have some experience in that field every year around EBI-time.  Roll Eyes
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2009, 19:45:39 pm »

Wink Wink Wink

bathing ape

« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2009, 20:33:46 pm »

will be nice to see this back again
Russell

« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2009, 00:19:51 am »

after classic, Im afraid and glad, that its heading to its new home in Scotland.

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2009, 00:34:33 am »

Geez Russell, leave something for us Yanks, will you?? Cry

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2009, 00:36:23 am »

Great... another car leaves the club with a hood badge (that's two, now). NOT GOOD and rather disrespectful to the club/business. Those items are not part of the car. They're part of the club/business or club member. Show some bloody class, dignity, and respect towards the club for cryin' out loud  and send the badge either back to them or Doug. Whichever party wants it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 00:31:08 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2009, 01:45:06 am »

Didn't like to say but I have to agree - it is a shame doug's not gonna get to finish it  Undecided Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2009, 06:35:20 am »

I would think he's just yanking your chain. They're used to that during the weekly highland games, where they try to rope tug each other into big piles of cow dung. After which they proceed to toss heavy objects as far as they can. Given the deforestation issues everybody is talking about they had to move from logs on to old cars, so they started importing them for that reason only. And it seems they found that Ghia's have a better streamline than beetles so that is the new hype.

Grin

Wünderwaffe are Go!
wolfswest

« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2009, 08:28:44 am »

Sad,  I really liked the story how the car found his way back to his old mate...  So I guess they are separated again.  Cry

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2009, 09:08:29 am »

Doug,

Is is true that the GHIA is really going over the pond too?

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2009, 10:28:18 am »

I can remember back in the 1980s when so many cars were sold to Japanese collectors – seems like the owners were more than happy to take them to Pomona in the full knowledge they'd get a sale. People complained back then, too, but the truth is that the cars could have been bought by anyone as they were on the open market. The days of the Japanese market buying everything have gone as the economy over there is in bad shape. Today, we have the situation where a lot of cars are going overseas again, this time to Europe. The reality, once again, is that all these cars are – or have been – for sale to anyone who's prepared to spend time chasing them down or is prepared to pay a reasonable price for them. It's not like anyone's had a gun held to their head and, for the most part, the prices asked and paid have been what I consider to be very reasonable.

I remember seeing Sum Fun and Pink Panther for sale at Classic a few short years ago at good prices for such historic cars. But they barely got a second look and both remained unsold for some time. Only when somebody from outside the USA steps up to the plate do people complain. Yet they could have bought them for themselves...

When I bought the Keith Goss chop-top, a lot of people had known the car still existed, sitting unused in his garage for something like 12 years. A meeting was arranged, I met Keith and agreed the price he wanted. Anyone could have bought that car had they approached the owner in the right way. But the truth is, Keith had been approached, for example, by one American 'entrepreneur' who offered him just $3000 – yes, three thousand. Similarly, when I bought my present project from Matt Chapman in Michigan, he told me I was the only person who offered to pay the asking price. $11,500 for a 'new' car with 2332, Berg crank, Carrillos, yadah yadah yadah... It was a steal! The engine cost more than the asking price! But Matt told me the only other enquiries were from fellow countrymen who made him ridiculously low offers. Guess what? The car was shipped out of the USA.

The bottom line is any car that is sold to anyone COULD be bought by somebody else. In some cases, it's a matter of not insulting the vendor, in others it's because sometimes it takes a lot of effort to track down old cars – effort that it seems many people are not prepared to do.

PS – can we have all our historic race cars shipped back to the UK? After all, there are too many vintage Ferraris, Jaguars and Porsches owned by US collectors.  Cheesy

WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2009, 10:29:27 am »

Congratz Russell! Another time capsule going to a wonderful collection! Hope it gets restored to its former glory....hood badge and all.

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
vwcab

peter

« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2009, 11:17:00 am »

after classic, Im afraid and glad, that its heading to its new home in Scotland.
Congratz Russell,(but is Doug gonna built a new one,or....?)

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2009, 18:18:25 pm »

Keith, I fully understand the logic of it all. The traditional Cal-Look "movement" and the desire for historic cars from back in the day is much stronger across the pond than it is over here, and I guess that is what upsets me. Like a lot of people on this board, I really love these period cars. I don't wish (or have the $$$) to travel halfway across the earth to see them, much less purchase one myself. I am glad that these cars are all taken care of though, and being displayed as they should be. Just wish it was a little closer to home.

And no offense to Russell, but it's Doug's car. I really would have liked to see him put it back together, especially given the back story.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2009, 18:54:30 pm »

Doug explained to me in an email that really once he got the car back, he lost momentum. It was as if the challenge was to find the car and bring closure to the whole sorry story of having his car forcibly taken out of his life. This time, he's been able to choose the 'right' time to let her go. I can understand that. But it will, as you say, be in good hands.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: