The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:03:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350804 Posts in 28595 Topics by 6825 Members
Latest Member: vertvolks
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Coming home again…
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Coming home again…  (Read 46232 times)
Russell

« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2009, 21:25:57 pm »

For those who support me thanks, I do it for the enjoyment and hope that other people benifit too.

For those that dont, sorry bout that !

And Mark, thank god for the DKP Badge as if this was not on the car Doug would never have got it back as it would have just been another ghia, I no longer look at it as a badge more a tattoo and its there for life......

Best Regards

Russell
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2009, 21:44:58 pm »

I'm glad its going to Scotland, at least its going to be appreciated in its new home unlike most of the cars that went to Japan in the 80's that were only bought as fashion statements   

Where are they all now  Roll Eyes

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2009, 21:48:03 pm »

In one respect, I am glad that Doug isn't going to finish it... something tells me it might end up a little over-done!! Grin
Good luck with the restoration/preservation, Russell. I can't wait to see it next weekend, hopefully with Doug behind the wheel! Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #153 on: June 04, 2009, 21:48:43 pm »

Hey man no offence ment dude but I just kinda thought doug would have liked to keep this one  Smiley

Amd tell me about it Ron I am still lookin for Mike Billing 67  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rocket Ron

« Reply #154 on: June 04, 2009, 21:51:41 pm »

Wink Grin

Its out there somewhere

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2009, 21:56:12 pm »

At least Russell seems to share the same enthusiasm for the time and the look as those of us who have lived through it. It is great to see all these cars being preserved.  It was a special time and there were a lot of really talented and great people who all contributed to the development of the performance VW scene.  It is my goal to make some time and get over to the EBI and hopefully spend some time in Great Britain again and get a chance to visit Russells stash.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #156 on: June 04, 2009, 22:12:14 pm »

Well Russell is making Scotland the destination for Cal Look enthusiasts in the know.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #157 on: June 04, 2009, 22:52:28 pm »

Wink Grin

Its out there somewhere

Or I could see if I could get Marc to sell me his 51 Shhh don't give Russell any more idea's  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #158 on: June 05, 2009, 00:20:31 am »

And Mark, thank god for the DKP Badge as if this was not on the car Doug would never have got it back as it would have just been another ghia, I no longer look at it as a badge more a tattoo and its there for life......

Weak.

Here's the bottom line then I'm done with this... if anyone wasn't there, during the Cal Look scene in So Cal, they'll never get it or probably never will.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
bilboa2

« Reply #159 on: June 05, 2009, 03:44:38 am »

weak, my ass. I remembered when cars like martinez' chop top went to japan like many others.Not happy. do we know where it is? do we ever see it? NO..Someone like russell who has many dkp cars and will ackowledge that yes, it was dougs, or goss's. etc. He will transport the lot around the meets in europe, display, run them even..HE HAS THE DKP BLOOD.. He doesn't change the cars from their original look. If just any body in the U.S or wherever bought these cars, they might sell the wheels, change the color, etc as that is their right to as they own that car. I have changed my thoughts on this, i hope others see it as a way to keep the old cars still visiable... and doug can eat, then build his next project.. bill

boo
rick m

« Reply #160 on: June 05, 2009, 04:05:31 am »

Bill,

Since we shared the same perverted look before the Cal Look era...I have to agree with you.  :-)...Just kidding.  I still can't get over all that hair!

I've not met Russell yet but I disagree that you cannot have the same enthusiasm as the era had. From what I've seen, European Bug-In is the reincarnation of the whole era. I wish I just lived closer.  I promoted VW events from 1984, starting only 3 months after the last BUG-IN held at OCIR with my first ARIZONA BUG-RUN in January of 1984.  Why?  To help keep the momentum going that was unfortunately going to slow down for awhile.  I attended early bug-ins and it was my own way of keeping the enthusiasm alive.

There was nothing that brought me more satisfaction from 1984 through 2005 than seeing the looks on people's faces when they saw a VW drag car run for the first time, or walked through the show and checked out the killer cal look cars or other neat stuff in the swap meet. Russell is doing this on a larger scale in Europe, keeping the past alive attending a venue with his cars for all VW lovers in Europe to enjoy.  How can anyone take away from that.  I think it is admirable that he has found this love of the car an the hobby and is willing to spend his hard earned dollars to perpetuate such a legacy.

Russell, we've not met...but I applaud anyone who will invest in keeping the memory of VW greats going. Seeing all these cars come back to life or stay roadworthy and strip worthy...helps keep all us old guys going!

Thanks for being such a good friend to Doug M too!  I've enjoyed knowning him since we first met and know you will take good care of the car that brought him such great memories. I hope to meet you if you are over for the classic.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2009, 05:33:38 am »

Russell, like I posted earlier, I think this is a wonderful contribution you are taking on in the Cal-look scene. Bringing back these old cars from the OCIR Bug In days, puts a huge smile on my face. You have a collection that most people can only dream of. I think a new book is in order... Keith?   I must say though that I am shocked Doug did sell his ghia. I guess that's what happens when you become used to driving new Porsches and BMW's  Kiss Kiss Kiss Grin
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:35:45 am by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2009, 06:05:04 am »

weak, my ass. I remembered when cars like martinez' chop top went to japan like many others.Not happy. do we know where it is? do we ever see it? NO..Someone like russell who has many dkp cars and will ackowledge that yes, it was dougs, or goss's. etc. He will transport the lot around the meets in europe, display, run them even..HE HAS THE DKP BLOOD.. He doesn't change the cars from their original look. If just any body in the U.S or wherever bought these cars, they might sell the wheels, change the color, etc as that is their right to as they own that car. I have changed my thoughts on this, i hope others see it as a way to keep the old cars still visiable... and doug can eat, then build his next project.. bill

boo

HAHA!! Also, weak. Who gives a rat's ass who buys or owns which car? Obviously, you're missing the point. Figures. Keep the car(s) visible. Bitchen. But for God's sake... show some respect and give the club regalia back to where it belongs... the club. Not to a buyer, but to a member. This is hilarious and sad at the same time.

So... yes, very weak.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rocket Ron

« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2009, 07:19:14 am »

easy solution make Russell a DKP member   Wink

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2009, 08:55:50 am »

This is not directed towards you Russell, because I love what you're doing with these cars... and I agree with Keiths comments in an earlier post on this thread...

BUT

How many guys who may own historically significant cars (non original owners though, like the guys who owned Doug's ghia prior to it being returned to him) are going to do what may be considered the right thing to do and track down the original owners and sell to them and them only if they think that its just going to get sold to a collector later on by the owner who apparently desperately wanted his car back?

I am obviously unaware of the financial situation, but I daresay the owner who resold the car to Doug may have been more financially rewarded if he had done what Doug has done himself they could have just sold the car to the highest bidder.

I'll get my flak jacket on now....

Sad
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:06:36 am by kaferboy » Logged

nicolas

« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2009, 10:12:17 am »

i can understand that Doug lost intrest or found it better not to attack/complete this project, it's really up to him to chose what he does with it.

one thing i do want to say is what Russel mentioned as well:

For those who support me thanks, I do it for the enjoyment and hope that other people benifit too.

For those that dont, sorry bout that !

it is indeed very nice you do it all and share it with us by bringing all the cars out, racing them, breaking them. but it really is up to you since you bought them.

ps. i understand Mark's point off vieuw as well, but both sides/ point off vieuws are right and wrong...  Undecided
alfie the monster

« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2009, 10:32:37 am »

This isn't a pop at anyone, but...

If you buy Buckingham Palace, it doesn't make you the queen. It just means you own a very large house. People are members of clubs, not the cars surely  Huh

JG54 Grunherz
Cornpanzer

« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »

People without opinions are boring.  I love opinionated people and discussions.  With that being said, there is a level of maturity that should arise when you express your opinion and the other person offers a reasonable and respectful opinion as to why they disagree.  At some point the mature people agree to disagree and then move on.

Mark, you have made your perspective clear and Russel has explained why he disagrees.

Are we seriously going to let this club decal thing become a big dividing issue?  The good people in this hobby should take care of each other, not create animosity.  Sadly, there are and have been plenty of lousy people in this hobby...stealing, lying, ripping peple off.  If you want to go on a crusade, go after all the lies and cheats.

I too am bummed that Doug sold the car (ust because it made such a great fairy tale) ...but it was his car and his decison.  I am guessing that there were reasons that perhaps we arent aware of...and frankly its none of our business.

Now you guys can go to the Classic and spend the w-e trying to convince others to side up with you ...glaring at each other across the parking lot or you can shake hands and relax.  Wink

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
alfie the monster

« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2009, 13:27:48 pm »

or you can shake hands and relax.  Wink

And drink beer  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
rick m

« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2009, 15:02:03 pm »

Cornpanzer....well said.  The hobby is for fun...not posturing, positioning, ridiculing or slamming someone for a perspective. The realities of life is we won't all agree on everything. However, if we stay focused on the hobby and why it drew us in and we love participating in it, we can all enjoy a variety of styles, perspectives and events.

I left a club years ago because it was no longer fun due to all the stupid, petty things going on. This has driven a lot of good people away from other forums too. I enjoyed your perspective.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2009, 17:27:20 pm »

And drink beer  Wink

I know that neither Russel nor Mark have a problem with that... both seem to come by that ability naturally!  Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2009, 17:28:27 pm »

easy solution make Russell a DKP member   Wink

Making those monthly meetings would be a B*tch!  Grin

Russell

« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2009, 23:33:14 pm »

Guys Guys

Calm down, I have no bitch with anyone (thats a lie ! i have one with the last owners of Tar Babe but lets not go there again)

Mark "Fred" is a cool guy with some great cars and stories, after speaking with him at the book lauch I know we get on great..... so please dont ruin this, Mark is entitled to his opinion as i am mine and i fully understand his with respect. And im sure we will have a beer or two together next week.

yes, Doug fulfilled his dream and got the car back, there was never any sales pitch with this car, i asked him to leave it as unrestored as possible and he said he would try (not a great promise from the crazy pan guy but still a promise) however like all things the dream was not quite what he expected as life has moved on...... So he drops me an email and says if you want you can have for same price as he paid for it, yes no profit and no high $$$ price just one really cool good guy offering a freind a good deal, simple.  ( it can still happen, good deals) (kaferboy no flak jacket needed)

remember i was staying in his house the night we told him it had been found !!!  Grin

Bill, Rick M and everyone else i will be at classic this year, please stop me and say hello, im a easy going guy, I will if allowed be hanging round the DKP tent with Keith and some of his friends, whom i consider mine now too, because there hospitallity and welcoming to me over the last year has been wonderful. Thanks again.

EBI, you are all more and than welcome to come over to EBI, we would love to see you all there, and if your in Scotland let me know,my garage door is never closed.

And one final point...... Blood type not sure about DKP Blood but its 100% Aircooled VW. oh and its red  Wink

Best Regards

Russell
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2009, 09:12:19 am »

Blood type not sure about DKP Blood but its 100% Aircooled VW. oh and its red  Wink
And about 100% proof...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
peach_

« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2009, 11:36:02 am »

Guys Guys

Calm down, I have no bitch with anyone (thats a lie ! i have one with the last owners of Tar Babe but lets not go there again)

Mark "Fred" is a cool guy with some great cars and stories, after speaking with him at the book lauch I know we get on great..... so please dont ruin this, Mark is entitled to his opinion as i am mine and i fully understand his with respect. And im sure we will have a beer or two together next week.

yes, Doug fulfilled his dream and got the car back, there was never any sales pitch with this car, i asked him to leave it as unrestored as possible and he said he would try (not a great promise from the crazy pan guy but still a promise) however like all things the dream was not quite what he expected as life has moved on...... So he drops me an email and says if you want you can have for same price as he paid for it, yes no profit and no high $$$ price just one really cool good guy offering a freind a good deal, simple.  ( it can still happen, good deals) (kaferboy no flak jacket needed)

remember i was staying in his house the night we told him it had been found !!!  Grin

Bill, Rick M and everyone else i will be at classic this year, please stop me and say hello, im a easy going guy, I will if allowed be hanging round the DKP tent with Keith and some of his friends, whom i consider mine now too, because there hospitallity and welcoming to me over the last year has been wonderful. Thanks again.

EBI, you are all more and than welcome to come over to EBI, we would love to see you all there, and if your in Scotland let me know,my garage door is never closed.

And one final point...... Blood type not sure about DKP Blood but its 100% Aircooled VW. oh and its red  Wink

Tbh I Dont See why you have to explain your self to anyone, or tell them about what deals you made with the car.

In the End its your car not theres, what ever the history etc of the car.

Hope to see it in europe some time next year im guessing? Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2009, 11:37:37 am »

Shocked Shocked Shocked i will lick this one at the ebi 4  Tongue Tongue Tongue.......................................... Grin Grin

fabs  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Russell

« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2009, 19:06:57 pm »

[/quote]

Tbh I Dont See why you have to explain your self to anyone, or tell them about what deals you made with the car.

In the End its your car not theres, what ever the history etc of the car.

Hope to see it in europe some time next year im guessing? Grin
[/quote]

I dont, but didnt want anyone thinking Doig was out for big bucks thats all.

Best Regards

Russell
cal-look 56

« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2009, 22:03:48 pm »

Russell,  you shouldnt worry about what others think.  Its your collection and and as long as you dont step on anyones feet in the process of buying them than continue to do your thing.  You have a awe inspiring collection and for that I envie you. Grin
Russell

« Reply #178 on: June 12, 2009, 07:06:09 am »

well despite the 100% positive vibes from my fellow loungers, Im delighted to share the first photos and video of FASRNU (thanks KS) back on the road again.

A massive thanks to the US based VW Gasser Garager crew, without their help none of this would have happened., THANKS to Richie and Jo, Russ xxx

Video: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5b5EMP9sbxI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/5b5EMP9sbxI</a>

Best Regards

Russell
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #179 on: June 12, 2009, 07:52:11 am »

Russell hopefully I will be able and talk to you at the Classics this year. I will be at Nick's burger on Friday night.

See you then

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: